Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-18-2016, 07:48 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
In process now ...very early 60s ...decided the house was holding us back from making decision to not work ...kinda philosophically backwards, but selling the house forces us to decide what to do 😄

We are moving to our lake house about four hours away from work ...will continue to work until I can cut a deal to back out of work ...or something.

Then, we will spend summers only at Smith Mountain Lake ...during the first winter, probably this one, we will travel a bit throughout Florida to decide if there is a place where we can spend winters.

Oh yeah, and, we may buy a place quickly in Pensacola where we have relatives ... Florida residency, etc, then sell it when we make the next decision ...don't want to live there.

Reading this I sound a bit crazy ...feels good.

Selling the house FORCES 😄

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 11:56 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
there is no doubt that we need to sell our house in the country as the upkeep and maintenance is getting out of hand, especially in this heat. just keeping up the grass and landscaping is overwhelming. But how do you decide where to go? DW wants to be near the grand kids, and that severely limits our options.

I'd sure like to know how some of you coped with moving and grand kids, and also what criteria you used to pick your new location.

I keep telling her that the grandchildren will soon lose the current level of interest in our relationships as they age and begin their own develop their own social networks and other interests.

Prepare today for the demands of tomorrow. Plan your move.
Ticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:42 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We're in the process of downsizing. From 3800(+1500 garage) on 3 semi rural acres to 2250 in a development with a HOA. It's a home that could easily be one floor living(there's only a second master upstairs). Lot of absent owners in the area, no problem with property management.

We've been looking for ten years to find the area and are moving 800 miles in three weeks. Current residence is on the market, I need to talk with the realtor about a price decrease as we're not getting enough showings. Currently we own two homes and I can't stand to hand MO another $6500 in property tax.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #24
We are doing this is stages. At one time we had a 4500 SF house that had a guest house and two double garages. At that time we had 6 people living there and my mom visited often (using the guest house). As kids got older and we had fewer living at home that was too big.

So 4 1/2 years ago we bought our current house which is about 3000 SF. At the time we still had 2 kids at home and we had several large dogs so needed space for them and a place that allowed the pets.

When we moved in, we thought it would be a forever house. Well, we are currently living here by ourselves and it is clear that this house is really larger than we need. Right now, we need to stay here because of the dogs. But, the youngest dogs are 9 years old so we won't have dogs forever (we also have cats but they are no problem).

We do basically close off a couple of rooms but I still sort of resent having extra space that I feel I am paying utilities for and taxes but am getting no benefit from and it makes it harder to clean (even if the rooms are closed off they do occasionally need to be dusted and vacuumed).

So our plan is to stay here until the dogs are gone and then move someplace smaller with no wasted space.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:31 PM   #25
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I was just talking to DW this morning about taking trips after I FIRE (she's been FIRED for 20 years).

Our house is 5300 sq ft on an acre and is nowhere close to being lock and leave. We don't want to sell it either.

So I guess we'll just have to take relatively short trips? I'd much rather do the motorhome thing but I'm not sure she's up for it.
We are in a similar situation, with a bit fewer square feet on 25 acres (no neighbors can see our house/yard, and vice versa). DW has already been talking to one of her staff people about she and/or her kids dropping by every other day or so when we start traveling in earnest next year.

Eventually, we'll get bought out and will move into the city core; but until then, this hopefully will work out.

OMY * 3 2ish
2017ish is online now   Reply With Quote