Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2018, 12:07 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
NASA FCU has an 11 mo IRA/taxable CD at 2.25apy. 20k min
49 mo IRA/taxable CD bumped to 2.40 apy 5k min
Wow - 11 month 2.25% - not bad!!!

The 2 year treasury is climbing fast. It touched 2.2% this morning.

I’m guessing we’ll see Fed Funds rate increase at least 0.75% this year, so cash (high yield) accounts should be yielding 2.25% by year end.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2018, 02:08 PM   #162
Recycles dryer sheets

My 3% Pen Fed CD is expiring the end of this year. Hoping by then I can reup at 3% or better.
Mango1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:09 PM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango1956 View Post
My 3% Pen Fed CD is expiring the end of this year. Hoping by then I can reup at 3% or better.
I have a sneaky feeling a lot if us are in the same canoe.......
Old 02-16-2018, 02:44 PM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango1956 View Post

Navy Federal still has 15 and 32 mo specials with an add-on feature. They pay 2.25 and 2.75. I'm using these as placeholders in case something better doesn't come along. I'm pretty much maxed out on fixed and I even use the longer term stuff in lieu of bonds.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #165
Dryer sheet wannabe

If you do stay with PenFed be sure to take into account their new early withdraw penalties. Certificates Having a Term Greater Than Six Months.

a) If redeemed within the first year, all dividends will be forfeited.

b) If redeemed thereafter, but prior to the maturity date, the early withdrawal penalty will equal 30% of what would have been earned if the certificate had been held to maturity, not to exceed total dividends earned.
me228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:08 PM   #166
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

PFCU has gone down the drain over the last few years. I got a whole bunch of PFCU money maturing in December. The only good thing I have from them is their old CC that I get 5% cashback. The only (good) problem is that I only spend about $25 to $35 a month on gas.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:18 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I suspect that there will be a giant sucking sound at PenFed in the fourth quarter of this year unless they pull a rabbit out of their hat and offer some attractive rates... I hope that they are ready for it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:33 PM   #168
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Yeah, I suspect that there will be a giant sucking sound at PenFed in the fourth quarter of this year unless they pull a rabbit out of their hat and offer some attractive rates... I hope that they are ready for it.
Not only that, the 30% early withdrawal penalty mentioned above seem excessive. It will take some really attractive rates for me to stay.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:19 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Yep. I have two CD's maturing 12/18 and two 01/19. All will leave Penfed unless they become competitive.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:08 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Not only that, the 30% early withdrawal penalty mentioned above seem excessive. It will take some really attractive rates for me to stay.
Yeah - as high yield savings and MM funds catch up, I’m not so interested in long commitments with high penalties unless the rate offered is high.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:42 AM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ View Post
PFCU has gone down the drain over the last few years.
I first noticed when they went from a fixed cash back % on their credit card, to some phony "points" deal.

Instead of a simple batch job their own IT staff could manage with almost no effort, someone now has to manage a complicated points system. I'm pretty sure they're not doing it internally. No doubt it's some 3rd party.

They didn't do this for their customers.

The salesmen probably pitched it to PenFed management as a money-saving move; we'll con the mugs into playing this points game, and we'll split the take with you.

Once any business goes down that path, it's over. The customers are the enemy, to be taken advantage of at every opportunity. Usually the employees suffer the same fate. Kinda sad.

(They made me chose between the new points system, and any ONE category of cash back. I chose gas. That's the only thing I use the PenFed card for now.)
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:02 AM   #172

Regarding PFCU, I did take advantage of their 4 year .99% new car loan offer they had back in mid 2015 so I am still making 1/2+% on the the outstanding principal. I would have paid cash for the car but the loan was too cheap to pass up.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:13 AM   #173

The Capital One 5 year 2.65% CD is not all that bad because you can terminate early with only a six month penalty. So if you put your money in for a year and then rates go up, you still will have earned 1.325% the first year, and you can then buy a CD with a higher rate after that. But if rates don't go up, you will earn a better rate than a one year CD would get you right now.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:01 AM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I first noticed when they went from a fixed cash back % on their credit card, to some phony "points" deal.
I kept that cash card, although it took a lot of will power to ignore their constant nagging to switch to points. I still get 5% cash back on gas, 3% on groceries, and 1% on everything else with that card, credited to my statement the same month.

Between DW and me, we buy an average of over $200 in gas per month, so that's around $250 per year, or ten free tankfuls.

So PenFed is still pretty good in my book. My mortgage (nearly paid off) is with them too.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #175
Give me a forum ...

I hope PenFed is watching this thread. We have ~$2m that is going to make a small sucking sound in December if they have no alternatives.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I kept that cash card, although it took a lot of will power to ignore their constant nagging to switch to points. I still get 5% cash back on gas, 3% on groceries, and 1% on everything else with that card, credited to my statement the same month.
I've had my 5% gas cashback card for about 13 years.
Darn, I must have missed the cash card you have giving you also 3% cashback on groceries while I was living in Thailand.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #177
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'll have to do the math on the 2.65% on some C/Ds that are at 1.98% if they only have a 6 month penalty may pay to take the 6 month interest hit.
Slepp
Slepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:30 AM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ View Post
I've had my 5% gas cashback card for about 13 years.
Darn, I must have missed the cash card you have giving you also 3% cashback on groceries while I was living in Thailand.
Possibly. I've had this card for at least 23 years; that's as far back as my records go.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:37 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, unless PF gets its act together I will roll out CDs as they mature. Still have a slug in the 5% CD that matures at the end of 2020.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slepp View Post
I'll have to do the math on the 2.65% on some C/Ds that are at 1.98% if they only have a 6 month penalty may pay to take the 6 month interest hit.
Slepp

Depositaccoints.com has an early withdrawal calculator on their site.