End of Year CD Deals

I kept that cash card, although it took a lot of will power to ignore their constant nagging to switch to points. I still get 5% cash back on gas, 3% on groceries, and 1% on everything else with that card, credited to my statement the same month.
I've had my 5% gas cashback card for about 13 years.
Darn, I must have missed the cash card you have giving you also 3% cashback on groceries while I was living in Thailand.

I'll have to do the math on the 2.65% on some C/Ds that are at 1.98% if they only have a 6 month penalty may pay to take the 6 month interest hit.
Slepp

Darn, I must have missed the cash card you have giving you also 3% cashback on groceries while I was living in Thailand.

Possibly. I've had this card for at least 23 years; that's as far back as my records go.

Yeah, unless PF gets its act together I will roll out CDs as they mature. Still have a slug in the 5% CD that matures at the end of 2020.

I'll have to do the math on the 2.65% on some C/Ds that are at 1.98% if they only have a 6 month penalty may pay to take the 6 month interest hit.
Slepp

Depositaccoints.com has an early withdrawal calculator on their site.

I had the 5%-3%-1% deal too. I've been a member for probably 15 years. I called and wrote letters, but they wouldn't let me keep that deal. I had to choose one of the three categories for cash back. I chose 5% on gas.

I got a very nice letter back from the CEO (or whatever they called him) at one point, but they wouldn't budge.

PFCU has gone down the drain over the last few years. I got a whole bunch of PFCU money maturing in December. The only good thing I have from them is their old CC that I get 5% cashback. The only (good) problem is that I only spend about $25 to $35 a month on gas.

Unless, Penfed has changed the rules, You really do not get " 5% " on gas purchase. Example: $50 penfed reward gift card. Requires, 5880 pts.:mad:

Penfed use to have good benefits as well as high CD rates. Not any more.

Unless, Penfed has changed the rules, You really do not get " 5% " on gas purchase. Example: $50 penfed reward gift card. Requires, 5880 pts.:mad:

The PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Visa card pays 5% cash back on at-the-pump fuel purchases. Although it looks like it is no longer offered, I've had it for years (had to jump through some hoops to keep it when they tried to convert it to a points card in 2012).

Last edited:
Possibly. I've had this card for at least 23 years; that's as far back as my records go.
Here I thought I had an old CC.
That probably means when I got my 5% cashback 13 years ago, your CC was no longer available.

...You really do not get " 5% " on gas purchase. Example: $50 penfed reward gift card. Requires, 5880 pts.:mad:

That's the "new" plan. There's no set value for a "point." But I can guarantee it's less than the former 5% cash back. Where do you suppose the difference goes? I'd be willing to wager that "to a for-profit 3rd party" would be in there somewhere.

Not exactly sure who would think this is a good thing for the CU members.

In all fairness, I have to admit that we hardly ever use the PenFed Visa for anything but gas. That 5% cash back is the best deal around. Since DW and I both do a lot of driving, we get a nice bonus. We have just trained ourselves to automatically use that at every gas pump.

For most other purchases, we use the Fidelity Visa with 2% cash back on everything. It's nice to see that cash spontaneously deposited in my FIDO cash account.

In all fairness, I have to admit that we hardly ever use the PenFed Visa for anything but gas. That 5% cash back is the best deal around. Since DW and I both do a lot of driving, we get a nice bonus. We have just trained ourselves to automatically use that at every gas pump.

Same here, only use the PenFed card for fuel. As an RVer, it is really nice to get that 5% back on all the diesel we buy on our trips.

We use our USAA Limitless 2.5% Cashback Visa for everything else except Amazon purchases, where we get 5% using the Amazon Prime card.

Penfed use to have good benefits as well as high CD rates. Not any more.

Mine really does pay 5% cash back, not points..

Yep, same here. We always use the PenFed Visa for gas, but use a Capital One mastercard (1.5% cash back on all purchases) for everything else.

Back
Top Bottom