Join Early Retirement Today

End of Year Decisions
Old 12-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

End of Year Decisions

Well, here it is the end of year.......what to do, what to do.....

I have VTIAX , Vanguard Total International Index Fund......I've lost 9k on it this year..
Do I sell it as I'm going to need losses for tax return....do I sell it before dividends are paid....do I keep it and sell something else?

I guess what I'm asking is 'what are you doing with international investments'?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Might be about the same either way, before or after dividends. Assuming the price decreases in line with the dividend amount, you will have a larger capital loss after the dividend. However you will have the gain of the dividend itself. If it is a 15% qualified dividend and you are paying 15% capital gains it'll be a wash in terms of total taxes, though you should have a little extra capital loss to use. If your CG tax rate or the dividend rate is different, than you might be better selling before or after the dividend.

I'm just leaving everything alone this year.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #3

I'm going to dump a good portion of my international funds and use the losses to offset some gains. Will buy back the funds I like in 31 days or may just sit on the cash until the folks in Europe get their act together. Will probably do it after distributions.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'll probably end up buying more. Depending on how my asset allocations for the international portion shapes up. I'll do the percent calculations at the year end. If the percentage I have is low, I'll buy more to get that percentage back up.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I'll stand pat. Unfortunately I have plenty of capital loss carryforwards.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #6

One reason I'm not doing any tax loss harvesting is that if CG tax rates increase I'd rather leave the tax basis where it is. No sense getting 15% credit today and pay 20% a few years later. I should be fully into my taxable account sell-down and Roth conversion mode in about a year, so I won't have a really long time to make the tax savings pay off.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph
I'm just leaving everything alone this year.
+1. I'm 40% non-us.

T
Old 12-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #8
Administrator

Me too. After rebalancing my international funds are supposed to represent only 13% of my portfolio, and I haven't changed that percentage.

When I rebalance in a couple of weeks and have to buy more of my international equity fund, I'll be buying low. I keep telling myself that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:41 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't know W2R...

Europe, China and the other EM are beginning to look bad because their exports are declining.
It's a big circle and until Europe settles, I can't see the EM countries picking up. It seems the only 2 countries that are doing good are Australia and UK.

I got out of my int'l. in the spring. I'll look at it probably in the middle of next yr., depending on how their economies are doing.

I'm doing what one of the analysts mentioned on CNBC: 30% fixed, 30% muni/corp bonds, 40% U.S. LC dividend paying stocks until the dust settles.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:30 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

International stocks represent only 2.9% of my portfolio at this time and I am not planning on making big moves until the end of the year.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:38 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I look at my taxable portfolio, anything in red by more than $250 gets sold between now and Dec 31 no exceptions.

Vanguard has 14 international funds, if you own the Vanguard Total International VTIAX, sell it and buy Tax managed international fund VTGMX, or the Total World (which includes US) VTWSX. Or sell it and buy some European, Pacific, and Emerging markets, or Schwab or Fidelity international index funds. The tax savings will far outweigh the minor differences in performance over the next few months.

Now if you have lots of capital losses from previous years, than I can see leaving it alone but really it is only two phones calls one now and another month or two from now.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:27 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I have only 8% of my portfolio in VEUSX and BHP. No changes planned.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:26 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I know what you mean what to do?? In my case I am tax harvesting an international fund I have a loss on in a Non qualified acct to fund my 2011 Roth contribution with. I do not need the dividend income for cash flow so I plan on selling before that income hits the books as do not want show the income.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:00 AM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks, a lot of good advice here....I'll probably sell it...but, yikes, such a loss really hurts, think I'll stay away from international for a while.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:49 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Tax-loss harvesting has 2 parts:
1. Sell to realize the loss.
2. Buy replacement shares to keep your asset allocation the same.

Those replacement shares are bought low since you sold low. Indeed, if international funds have done poorly, those are the funds you should be buying and not avoiding. In other words, whatever happened to "Buy Low, Sell High"?
Old 12-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Tax-loss harvesting has 2 parts:
1. Sell to realize the loss.
2. Buy replacement shares to keep your asset allocation the same.

Those replacement shares are bought low since you sold low. Indeed, if international funds have done poorly, those are the funds you should be buying and not avoiding. In other words, whatever happened to "Buy Low, Sell High"?
Yes, I understand, still, I think I'll sit back and see how international goes for a while.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtrader View Post
Yes, I understand, still, I think I'll sit back and see how international goes for a while.
Many people sat out during the market downturn in 08 (in my case not rebalancing into equities at the time because it was so scary) and wish we had kept the faith. The end result was sell low and buy high.

That and other lost opportunities over the years have taught me to just stay the course and rebalance when my AA gets out of whack so I agree with LOL!

If the choice becomes sell and stay out or hold, hold is likely to be the better decision in the long run based on my experience.

It is hard to steer into the apparent storm though....
Old 12-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

If the choice becomes sell and stay out or hold, hold is likely to be the better decision in the long run based on my experience.

It is hard to steer into the apparent storm though....
Yes but there are other choices. VTIAX is down 17% YTD I don't get why it is hard to call Vanguard or use the website sell VTIAX and buy one of the numerous other very similar funds?

Take the loss folks, you will feel better in April.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:24 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Yes but there are other choices. VTIAX is down 17% YTD I don't get why it is hard to call Vanguard or use the website sell VTIAX and buy one of the numerous other very similar funds?

Take the loss folks, you will feel better in April.
I agree, if you can utilize the tax loss reasonably soon.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I would sell it, put it in fixed income fund and buy back when everything settles. My VGTSX is -17% YTD too, and am glad I sold when I did.

But I really think it is going to get bad again. They were talking about the EEM fund today and they think it is on its way down because it is below the 50 day moving avg.