Ending Stretch IRAs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the clarification. Does lessen impact. Is the $400k threshold the senate version?

Thanks for the clarification. Does lessen impact. Is the $400k threshold the senate version?

That's the only place that has a threshold. The House version is 100% withdrawal within 10 years. So, the question may become is it better to have to remove inherited Roth RMDs over remaining life expectancy beginning year after death....or, is it better to leave them untouched for ten years, and then have to move them 100% into after tax investments (with no immediate taxes). That one doesn't scare me as much as everything but $400K out of the water in five years.

What if an inherited tIRA is exactly $400K at time of death, but it grows to $600K after five years? Does $200K have to immediately be removed? I think going to something other than the current RMD formula could constitute "simplification," but I doubt that this is the agenda.

Looks like a done deal. However, the new bill does not require the beneficiaries to take a RMD every year. You can withdraw whenever you want during the ten-year period provided it is depleted by Year 10.

I assume that if beneficiary #1 should die before the 10 year period his/her beneficiary must withdraw within what is left of the first 10 year period.

And I assume we don't get the deferral of RMD until 72 which was the carrot in the stand alone bill; only the stick and not the carrot.

And I assume we don't get the deferral of RMD until 72 which was the carrot in the stand alone bill; only the stick and not the carrot.

You'd assume incorrectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom