Join Early Retirement Today

Enhancing the Vanguard value proposition
Old 09-06-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Enhancing the Vanguard value proposition

VG lowers the limits for enhanced services. $1m accounts get more free services.

https://flagship.vanguard.com/VGApp/...052007_ALL.jsp

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:39 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The article also says Vanguard is reopening the following funds:

Vanguard Explorer™ Fund, Vanguard PRIMECAP Fund, Vanguard Capital Opportunity Fund, Vanguard Health Care Fund, and Vanguard Precious Metals and Mining Fund

Old 09-06-2007, 07:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
But only for Flagship Services clients...

If only they offered cheaper or free brokerage services

DD
Old 09-06-2007, 09:44 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
I'd be happy if they did this only for their ETF's. I'd make the switch from fido in an instant...
Old 09-07-2007, 04:22 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
But only for Flagship Services clients...

DD

Flagship clients get 12 free trades a year with the brokerage.

I suppose it depends on how much trading one does. I suspect that many people attracted to VG tend to be a bit more buy and hold.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:49 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Now that ETFs and no to low cost brokerage services are so widespread, I'm pretty much thinking VG has pretty limited appeal even for low cost index investors...they were the pioneers of low cost indexing but others have improved on the concept...
Old 09-07-2007, 10:24 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceGeek View Post
Now that ETFs and no to low cost brokerage services are so widespread, I'm pretty much thinking VG has pretty limited appeal even for low cost index investors...they were the pioneers of low cost indexing but others have improved on the concept...
Some ETF's are lower cost than VG.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:49 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Some ETF's are lower cost than VG.........
Yeah, they're the ETF's from Vanguard. Man, they get ya no matter what you pick.

I wonder if Barclay's will be cutting the expense ratios on any of its ETF's to compete with VIPERS, like Fidelity did on some of its Spartan index funds.

Also note that a lot of the admiral class of Vanguard's funds are just as cheap as the VIPERS, and cheaper than a lot of other companies' ETFs. Though, you can't buy and sell as easily and ETFs.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:37 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'd switch from Schwab to Vanguard, if I did less trading and Vanguard Money Management accout was as good as Schwabs. 12 trades a year just enough for me and Vanguard still charges $20 trade even for Flagship customer, and has expensive option trades.

Still the one thing I notice when comparing Vanguard to Fido or Schwab, is that generally speaking Vanguard expense are lower, so there investment have higher returns. Typically and 10-20 basis points on their money market, same thing for CDs, and an expense ratio that is at least .1 to .3% lower than anything other than the Fidelity Spartan funds.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:13 PM   #10

I'm flagship and pay $8 for a trade
Old 09-22-2007, 03:16 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
So, of these 5 funds, which do you consider the best buy right now and why? I have wanted to invest in the Precious Metals and Health Care funds since the day I joined VG and have always been a bit peeved that they had closed them and not opened something comparable.
2fer
Old 09-22-2007, 03:27 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

None of those managed funds are of interest to me so my net gain from this enhancement is zero.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by two4theroad View Post
So, of these 5 funds, which do you consider the best buy right now and why? I have wanted to invest in the Precious Metals and Health Care funds since the day I joined VG and have always been a bit peeved that they had closed them and not opened something comparable.
2fer
None of these funds fit within my existing asset allocation plan. I don't plan on investing in any of these, although I have been able to invest in all of these all along through DW's 401k.

Of the five, the Precious Metals and Mining Fund would probably be the one I might take advantage of if I wanted to change my asset allocation to include precious metals. Although I would probably go with a broader commodities fund like PIMCO's PCRIX (through DW's 401k also).

The VG healthcare fund could be a good hedge against healthcare costs rising faster than overall inflation. Maybe.

Tags
vanguard