Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Budgeting is w*rk.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Budgeting is w*rk.
Not for those of us who like doing it sometimes! If it is w*rk for you, and if you do not need to do it, then you absolutely shouldn't.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Budgeting is w*rk.

I have to agree but sometimes it's a necessary evil .
Old 08-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Not for those of us who like doing it sometimes! If it is w*rk for you, and if you do not need to do it, then you absolutely shouldn't.
Before I retired, unlike some here, I enjoyed my w*rk. But it was still w*rk. Just because I liked it, that didn't mean it wasn't w*rk. (I wish I didn't have to spell "w*rk" in this peculiar way.)
Old 08-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
30 to 60% of budget(Mr Market depending) on a look back basis. I used to be cheap but I trained thirty years in New Orleans.

I try to keep minor stuff(basic food, shelter, taxes and insurance, etc.) to a minimum to leave wiggle room to party, travel, remodel, buy adult toys and live to eat -so to speak.

Heh heh heh - I mean what else is ER for? Right! Saints play the Texans tonight.

You are my idol but unfortunately I will never be that blase !
Old 08-20-2011, 11:44 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

Way to go! That's a great philosophy. You can't take it with you.

So far this year, my total monthly entertainment expenditures have been a little under $308/month, and eating out every day accounts for all or nearly all of it.
I consider eating out as part of my entertainment budget, but when I do fortunately it reduces the expenditures out of my food budget. Makes me think of the old saying something like " when I was young I would eat before my entertainment, now eating is my entertainment!"
Old 08-20-2011, 11:59 PM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I consider eating out as part of my entertainment budget, but when I do fortunately it reduces the expenditures out of my food budget. Makes me think of the old saying something like " when I was young I would eat before my entertainment, now eating is my entertainment!"
Yes, eating at restaurants does reduce the grocery bill quite a bit! So, it really isn't as much of a dent in my expenses at all, to tell the truth.

Eating is great entertainment at my age. Especially since I go to these restaurants with my dear friend. He is a great conversationalist, and New Orleans food is out of this world.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-21-2011, 12:27 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I don't have a budget specifically for entertainment. Let's take this weekend. I paid $250 to participate in a golf tournament, but that gets me two rounds of golf with a cart and great teammates, a meet and greet, a steak dinner with wine and entertainment, and it's for a great cause that's relevant to my work. So in one way, it could be considered a work expense, though Revenue Canada wouldn't see it that way.

If you count books I download on my Kindle, cable TV, internet (required for work), occasional concerts, theatre tickets, movies, it would be all over the place depending on interest and opportunity. I often go to a concert or other event if I am in a city where it's happening, and that is by definition sporadic.

I like to keep life simple. My budget for everything personal for the remainder of 2011 is what's left in my current accounts, prorated for every month. On January 1 2012 I can give myself a corporate dividend. Personal funds are tight right now so there were two events recently that I wanted to attend that I didn't. My budget is global, not categorized.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:56 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
I have no idea what we spend.
Made me look. I record it but I don't analyze it any more.

So far this year we've spent $2019, or about $250/month, but the purchases were lumpy.

The big expenses? A $475 lightly used 10'0" epoxy longboard, a barely used $80 Nook e-reader, a $325 2nd dan black belt test (where I was sorely used), and about $1000 for Haleakala backpacking gear & in-crater cabin rentals.

We also blew nearly $8 on surf wax. Money well spent.

Dining out is a separate budget category. So far that's been $789 (~$100/mo) for extravagances like Thursday night Costco pizza & frozen yogurts ($13.25/couple), Taco Bell, Thai Kitchen, Zippy's chili, and Italian food at Bravo's. Including the weekly pizza, it looks like we eat out 2-3x/week. We used to set a much better example when we were raising our daughter (taekwondo nights, Kumon nights, school homework) but as empty nesters we've considerably loosened up the purse strings.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
Does tool purchases at Harbor Freight classify as entertainment expenses?
Generally, yes. But if you're buying the tools for a job you'd rather farm out but can't/won't afford to, then it goes under "home maintenance". The distinction is whether you want to or have to.

We don't really have an "entertainment budget" as such. We have set budget amounts for the normal month-to-month stuff (DW is very good at forecasting what the heating bill will be for example) but for entertainment that's kind of "Well, there's money not allocated to anything specific, what should we do with it?" So sometimes we'll spend it, other times we'll just save it and think about what to do with it later.

Sometimes that decision is made for us, like the $1,400 repair/maintenance bill we just got for DW's car. There went my carbon fiber camera tripod and macro lens.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:25 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

If you count books I download on my Kindle,.

Since our library upgraded it's e collection my spending on books has dropped to almost nothing . Plus for Nook owners Barnes & Noble have been having some good .99 specials . I just finished Michael Connelly ' s "Black Echo " that was .99.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #32

If we count going out to eat twice weekly, our weekly budget is between $100 and $130, depending on if we go to a special event or movie, etc. There are weeks where we spend less than $25, but those aren't common.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm making up for lost time - new retiree here and I lived overseas for a great amount of my professional life and couldn't do/see a lot of what I'm spending my entertainment dollars on: sports & concerts.

I spend a lot of money on both - NFL season tickets (very good seats w/ parking this season), probably 20 Tampa Bay Rays games (cheap seats), the Florida Orchestra season tickets (cheap seats), season tickets to broadway (cheap seats) plays coming to Tampa, the National Geographic lecture series, PGA tour events that hit the area in March/April. The list goes on and on. I do see this coming to an end as the novelty wears off. Then there's the golf green fees (I look for cheap rates on golfnow.com).

But right now, I figure I spend $5-10k on "entertainment". Pretty ridiculous, I know. I'm sure it'll taper down to golf and an occasional baseball game a couple of times a season.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
Then there's the golf green fees (I look for cheap rates on golfnow.com).
I'm sure it'll taper down to golf and an occasional baseball game a couple of times a season.
One of our legendary posters, Jarhead, used to work pretty hard on his golf game. He felt that an hour on the course had to be backed by at least 1-2 hours on the driving range and chipping green.

The improvement in his "game" (really his passion and hard work) gave him many opportunities to defray his golfing expenses through local tournaments and overoptimistic young whippersnappers.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I don't consider eating out to be entertainment, unless there's a show, or at least a Japanese restaurant where they throw your food up in the air while cooking it. Why is it entertainment simply because someone else cooks and serves your food?

Would it count as entertainment if you went to a friend's house and they served you dinner?

OTOH - unkind onlookers might find entertainment in the occasional spills and disasters in my kitchen....skillet caught on fire once...

Amethyst
Old 08-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst
I don't consider eating out to be entertainment, unless there's a show, or at least a Japanese restaurant where they throw your food up in the air while cooking it. Why is it entertainment simply because someone else cooks and serves your food?

Would it count as entertainment if you went to a friend's house and they served you dinner?

OTOH - unkind onlookers might find entertainment in the occasional spills and disasters in my kitchen....skillet caught on fire once...

Amethyst
I understand where your coming from, Amethyst. Eating out could come from your food budget instead. However, in response to your scenario of going over to friends house for dinner, I would count that as the best type of entertainment....free! But that just maybe the cheapness in me.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I find that the more budget categories I have, the more easily I can track my spending.

A number of entrepreneurs are developing electronic-receipt websites: you swipe your customer-loyalty card at the grocery checkout or give the waiter your e-mail address along with your credit card, and later you can view your receipt online or via e-mail. It's not just a JPEG, it's downloadable data. Instead of carrying a price book everywhere and recording data by hand, in a few more years you'll be able to dump it straight into Quicken or a spreadsheet to see exactly how much you're paying for grapes, and what your different grocers are charging.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Amethyst
You are right . I guess I could lump it with my food budget but I am just trying to figure out how eating out , movies , occasional sporting or cultural events ,etc. affect my bottom line . We routinely go to our neighborhood seafood place and some of the people there make for great entertainment .
Old 08-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #39

We don't have an "entertainment" category in our budget, but I do set aside $100/month in cash for eating out, it's usually a Friday takeout dinner. I guess you could consider our DirecTV as entertainment. At $88/month it's one of our larger bills. Since we upgraded to HD and got a new DVR I've really been enjoying it.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
We don't have an "entertainment" category in our budget, but I do set aside $100/month in cash for eating out, it's usually a Friday takeout dinner. I guess you could consider our DirecTV as entertainment. At $88/month it's one of our larger bills. Since we upgraded to HD and got a new DVR I've really been enjoying it.
I don't have an "entertainment" category either. I do pay in cash at restaurants, so I got my figure for eating out by subtracting other known cash expenses from my ATM withdrawals.

- - H. Melville, 1851