Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
FWIW, here is the BLS's definition of "entertainment" expenses in the CES Glossary:

Fees and admissions
Television, radio, and sound equipment
Pets, toys, hobbies, and playground equipment
Other entertainment equipment and services
Using this definition my entertainment budget is significant:

Fees / Admissions: $180 / month
Television: $150 / month
Pets: $300 / month
Boat: $100 / month
Hobbies (his 'allowance'): $100 / month
Hobbies (her 'allowance'): $50 / month

$880 / month

"For the time being no discipline brings joy, but seems grievous and painful; but afterwards it yields a peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it." ~
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2014, 11:34 AM   #42
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't really have a budget, but I keep very close track of my spending. Looking at my records for 2013, I averaged $75/month on video games. We share a very small lunch out together every day, choosing someplace that doesn't break the bank, and that (food, tax, and tip) averaged $222/month.

I bought a new TV and a new laptop computer in 2013, but I guess they don't count, and neither does cable internet, right? It's hard to know what one would include in entertainment. Books? I have a Kindle and a library card so I get all I can read for free. For me entertainment is not a separate category; eating out is a subset of my food category, and I regard video gaming as my hobby and a separate category in its own right.

Like Daylatedollarshort, we find abundant free entertainment in our area. We spent zero on going out to movies, golf, skiing, concerts, drinking, sports, or other events. Mardi Gras is free and the parades go right by his house. We're 10-15 minutes from the French Quarter and it's fun to take pleasure drives around that area, or the Faubourg Marigny. Lots to do and see. Free museums, shows, and events abound. And that barely scratches the surface.

So, I guess video games and eating lunch out each day is about it; $297/month, just about the same as the OP.
In my spreadsheet, I put Internet in the Entertainment category. THe bill includes my cable TV bill. Even if it didn't, I'd consider it entertainment. I put my wireless bills in the same entertainment category.

Have separate categories for restaurants and travel (broken out by each trip, by airline fares).

Computers and electronics for photo hobby.

explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #43
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We have basic food and lodging.
We have health.
We have charity and gifts.
Everything else is entertainment.

We try to minimize the first 2 so that we have lots left for the last 2.
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets
$240 for the two of us. We also have individual monthly allowances.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
PERSonalTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Lucantes View Post
We budget for $300/month for "entertainment" costs for two adults but that does not include any travel costs ($1000/month) or TV/Internet/Cable/Gaming costs ($210/month).
Also does not include Dining Out ($400/month).
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:55 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets
we have no entertainment budget..... but we do have a personal allowance budget. $600/mo may seem like a lot for my personal allowance, but we got out to dinner once a week and maybe a movie. Maybe a play once a month. It all comes out of my allowance.
using an 8.5% withdrawal rate until SS kicks in
albundyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:47 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets
I have a $5K/yr (~$480/mo) entertainment line item in my budget (along with a $5K/yr vacation line item). I gave up on tracking my entertainment budget (nice restaurants, movies, pro sport events, gun range, bowling...) and am probably at or a little over it for the year. On the other hand I spent only about $3K for two vacations in 2014 (the only thing that easy to “track”) and a similar amount in 2013. I am single, but have an SO/fiance (that unfortunately is still w**rking) who covers about 40% (just my guess) of the costs of most of the things we do together (she has some of her own hobbies and activities she spends her own entertainment $$’s on).

EEEKKK, that is close to $10K/yr for a couple (we do eat out once a week or so at $60 to $100 a pop for a nice restaurant).

Anyway, like many others I really just track my overall spending/expense trend to make sure I am within/following my overall budget.

prototype is offline   Reply With Quote