Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-05-2015, 02:26 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred123 View Post
The average expected outcome for a 100% equities portfolio is lower than a more diversified portfolio. You can verify this by playing with your favorite retirement calculator. Or google "efficient frontier" for the theoretical explanation.

This bring me to one of my favorite rants: the way people greatly overestimate their intuition about the statistics of investing. Even people who deal with this every day make mistakes about probability (google "monty hall problem"). That's why I generally run screaming from anyone who insists on the reliability of their gut investing instinct.
Yes but thats AAs and frontiers assume an annual withdrawal.....what if you don't have to make any withdrawals

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2015, 02:27 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
In terms of portfolio survival, if you are withdrawing from it, I don't think you want more than 80% stocks, or even 75%, maybe.

But if you are just letting the money run for your heirs and not drawing on it - 100% stocks still beats over long periods of time. You can argue whether the risk adjusted return is worth it.

Over very long periods of time, various portfolio allocation performance will usually look something like this.

But any given decade you might underperform with 100% stocks. You'll also underperform with 80% stocks.
from https://dougcronk.wordpress.com/2010...040-asset-mix/
Just my point, without withdrawals 100% equites wins. Risk is not a factor.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Old 03-05-2015, 03:29 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred123 View Post
The average expected outcome for a 100% equities portfolio is lower than a more diversified portfolio. You can verify this by playing with your favorite retirement calculator.
I couldn't verify it.
FIRECalc:
Scenario: Zero withdrawals, 30 year window, 750K start. Give average ending portfolio values:
1) 100% equities: $1,462,771
2) 95S/5b (5 yr Treasuries): $1,391,266.
3) 90s/10b : $1,321,511
4) 80s/20b: $1,187,568

If withdrawing 4% of year end value per year, all else constant as above:
1) 100% equities: Average ending port value: $1,040,924.
2) 95s/5b: $987,963.
3) 90s/10b: $936,605
4) 80s/20b: $838,789.

If "average ending portfolio value" is the measure of merit, then 100% equities looks like a winner. It wasn't much affected by 4% withdrawals: with or without withdrawals, the 80s/20b portfolio ended on average, at 80-81% of the 100% equities avg value.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:51 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Sorry, that's not sophisticated enough. You need to run it through a bevy of calculators using statistical regression analysis along with future assumptions based on historical Monte Carlo algorithms modified by analytic recursive analysis of the mean differentiation integral of the standard deviation mode based on the last 78 years of market backward trailing averages.
Of course you are right. I will have to rethink our strategy of using SS to cover our basic living expenses and having the pensions and investment returns leftover for non-essentials and continued savings.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:26 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Yes but thats AAs and frontiers assume an annual withdrawal.....what if you don't have to make any withdrawals
OK, I misread the no withdrawal part. If you never touch the accounts then 100% stocks does give you the greatest return. But, then why not just give it away now?
Old 03-05-2015, 05:58 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

FWIW, Efficient Frontier graphs don't assume withdrawals. They only assume annual rebalancing.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
FWIW, Efficient Frontier graphs don't assume withdrawals. They only assume annual rebalancing.
Yes but in this context they were being used with withdrawals to see where various AAs fell on the curve so that the retiree can balance risk and return.

If risk is removed from income generation, what should the AA of any remaining funds be. Does the retiree stick with a 60/40 AA as before on the basis that it gives the "best" risk to return ratio to leave money to heirs or do they "swing for the fences" now.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:25 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

In what context? You've lost me.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:42 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Equity Glide Paths - some new thoughts.

Efficient frontier doesn't care about withdrawals. It just shows relationship between risk and return for various sock/bond combinations. The classic way I had it explained to me was to start with a portfolio of 100% Bonds. If you add a more risky, higher return, asset to this, you end up with LESS risk and more return. The efficient frontiers graphed above should be read looking at how much risk you can accept, then finding the AA that gives best return.

If you don't NEED the money, I suppose you could say you have a very high risk tolerance, and would invest 100% in the highest return asset. Of course, that is no guarantee you'll end up with the most money. That's where the risk comes in.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Tags
equit glide path