• Bought 25+% more

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Bought 50+% more

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Bought 75+% more

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sold and then immediately bought back similar stuff. Finally have some tax losses to harvest! Woohoo!

Checking the weather report - there have been no long power failures in Valley Forge - Vanguard computers probably have backup bats' any wise.

Target Retirement 2015 - ya gotta love automatic!

In keeping with 'sell in May and go away'. - my crystal ball says wait till the Saints open regular season against last years Superbowl champs before adjusting any of the Norwegian widow stocks.

Of course - one must be careful about past performance - a least with the stock market. Right?

heh heh heh - :cool:

So far I'm standing pat. I'm still a bit ahead for the year (although that could only last a few more days at this rate) and that encourages me to hang on for the ride. I don't feel like I'm over-weighted in equities, so I can't see selling now.

Sold and then immediately bought back similar stuff. Finally have some tax losses to harvest! Woohoo!
Ditto! I've saved myself thousands of dollars in taxes!!! Woohoo!

Isn't the term 'deferred'?
Not quite. I will use the losses to offset ordinary income and short term gains taxed at 33%, but the replacement gains will be held long term and those gains will be taxed at 15%. So that means Uncle Sam pays for 18% of my losses.

i've been nibbling, but have fortunately been cautious so i still have a chunk sitting on the side-lines ...

I voted "stayed put" but I did invest some money in the market by way of scheduled 401K, IRA and taxable account contributions (although it represents only about 1.2% of total portfolio). I haven't sold any equities but I did reduce the credit risk in my fixed income portfolio. I have some cash on the sidelines that I will inject in the market a little bit at a time.

I have learned to not try to time the market. I can point to few times that I guessed correctly. And if I got it right on one side of trade (for example got out)... I missed the other side (getting back in at the right time). I would only sell equities that were in trouble (looking like bankruptcy or fundamental problems). If the investment is a good one, I would hold it.

I use asset allocation. On the equity portion of the portfolio (the %)... Like Texas Holdem... I am all in! :p

I will just ride the waves and let some of those big upward equity waves slosh into my tranquil lagoon of bonds/fixed. :)

Thats my story, I am sticking to it. ;)

Good luck to all.

i wound up buying a bunch about 1/2 way down because i had just moved the remainder of my ira to vanguard. but then it kept on going down, bummer. i would be depressed about that but since i'm down 30% on real estate, what i've lost in the market hardly bugs me at all.

i'm pretty sure i was just mean for a weekly check or my allowance. i don't seem to get the hang of this. and since i have no intention of ever working again and mom is dead, um, anyone wanna adopt me? i come with a decreasing dowry but a well-stocked sense of humor.

As usual, I did nothing.

I considered moving 50% of the bond funds into equities just to prove I'm so smart. But, what if I wasn't? Plus 64 is no age to gamble. "You gotta know when to hold 'em; know when to fold 'em; know when to walk away; know when to run."

We did some tax loss harvesting and thinned out the portfolio, which was much needed.

However we will now return to our normal schedule of purchasing once a week and we continue to buy via a few DRIP programs we participate in.

I did move $2K from cash into VTSMX for my kids' college today. But I would have done that soon anyway...it was sort of a discretionary buy.

Other than that and the typical paycheck 401(k) contribution, just standing pat.

2Cor521

Hey lookee! I'm a contrarian indicator!

(Because I made the buy late yesterday afternoon, I got today's closing price.)

2Cor521

staying put for lotsa reasons:
-most holdings in taxable accounts
-buy & hold so would be facing big CG even to sell "losers" or less-desireable holdings; I also don't rebalance (bad!) for this reason.
-80% equities/10%bonds/10%cash; see above (urk!)

I would rather be buying but I have to take a close look at how much cash we really have to throw at this situation.. would rather not exacerbate any losses. As of today I looked and with Friday's prices YTD we are still up 6.5% (portfolio gains & investment income only) so I can't really say I am feeling any serious pain as of yet.

The same report run on Thursday's prices said 5.1%; on Wednesday's 10.3%.. big difference between 5% and 10%, but what can ya do? YTD 8/1/07 it was 12.6% (nice, but 6.5% is ok, too.. taking into account that if I look back 365 days to 8/18/06 the "year's" return for me was 16.3% -- sometimes the choice of "frame" is important).

The difference between the 5% ytd return and the 10% ytd return is predicated on a change (Wed.->Thurs.) of only 3% of the underlying portfolio which then got back about 1% (Thurs.->Fri.).

Not particularly scary yet, and even if it were I'm not convinced churning or pulling $ out is the appropriate solution.

Here's one way of looking at it:
Forbes.com: Digital Rules By Rich Karlgaard

---
Interesting! I figured more buyers than sellers.. but as of now the responses are 27/4 - quite a difference.

Last edited:
He must be unacquainted with markets. What he is talking about is a split, not a reverse split. When stock is reverse split it is usually some stock which has fallen below a dollar, or down to a few bucks. A reverse split, often done 1:4 or maybe 1:10 restores it to a respectable level where it is unlikely to get de-listed, or to be stricken off eligibility lists for some institutions. So in a 1:10 split one might have had 1000 shares trading at $1, after one will have only 100 shares. Theoretically these should trade at $10, but of course they may not. Sometimes they drift on down especially in weak markets. I think some people will buy very low cost shares at times just because their per share $ cost is low. "Penny Stocks".

The weird trading that can take place in very low priced issues is almost funny.

As regards the Dow, and its daily movement, I think people are getting used to thinking in percentages. The radio usually announces, "The Dow closed at 13,111.03 today, falling 131 points or 1% on the day." Also, hearing changes in the Dow, S&P and Nasdaq all with quite different base numbers moves people toward thinking in percentages.

Ha

Last edited:
For all those who "harvested your losses". I'm sure you know, you can't sell and then immediatly rebuy the same stock. (unless you do that in a IRA). That just creates a wash sale. Also be aware of selling taxable items, and buying them inside the IRA withing +/- 30 days.

wash sale - Google Search

I'm not sure about selling one ETF that tracks some index, and buying a different ETF that tracks the same index. I'd guess that creates a wash sale as well, but I don't know for sure.

Just a little heads up.

Laters,
-d.

Just got back from a road trip to find that it is Dec 15th 2006 all over again! Maybe I will finally get rid of some of that accumulated cash from profit-taking in the last 9 months. I love a sale.

I'm not sure about selling one ETF that tracks some index, and buying a different ETF that tracks the same index. I'd guess that creates a wash sale as well, but I don't know for sure.

Negative. Unless the IRS rules otherwise, it's a free lunch. Woohoo!

I re-balanced (using tax-deferred accounts) on July 16, nice profit! Sold some more on August 2 (tax-deferred) and August 15 (some taxable), all at big profits over cost basis. When I clicked the last sale, it was like, "F*** it, I'll pay the taxes. Slept very well on the 17h. I am currently 3.4% in equities. Go ahead, Fed, lower the rates, my ginnies await!

I'm looking to get back into equities seriously with new money in the Spring of '08.

Cuppa

Sold 3% so voted "did not sell".

I also just got back from a road trip (2 weeks) with no access to internet. I only heard small snipits of CNN and watched the Markets tumble. When I finally checked my 401K, I am still up 5.5% for the year. Believe you me, I thought it was going to be really ugly and I didn't want to even look. I transferred 3% from one fund to another so I didn't really sell anything.
I'm riding it out. I heard a lot of good comments from others on the forum and we still might all be doing a lot better by year's end.
Here's wishing everyone a good ride.

Back
Top Bottom