Sold 10+% 4 2.60%
Stayed put. No buying, no selling. 110 71.43%
Bought 10+% more 29 18.83%
Bought 25+% more 3 1.95%
Bought 50+% more 1 0.65%
Bought 75+% more 1 0.65%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I did what I do best: nothing

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2007, 05:15 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
If you're thinking about getting back in the market,
FWIW, I have never left the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
..., consider that mid-October has started a lot of holiday rallies and the government is ramping up the economy for an election year.
Thanks for the reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I did what I do best: nothing
No need to brag!

Old 08-16-2007, 05:26 PM   #23

I did move $2K from cash into VTSMX for my kids' college today. But I would have done that soon anyway...it was sort of a discretionary buy.

Other than that and the typical paycheck 401(k) contribution, just standing pat.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:33 PM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I did move $2K from cash into VTSMX for my kids' college today. But I would have done that soon anyway...it was sort of a discretionary buy.

Other than that and the typical paycheck 401(k) contribution, just standing pat.

2Cor521
That's the cool thing about making regular 401K contributions (or TSP, in my case). We just keep DCA'ing into these funds, whether the market is up or down. I didn't even count my TSP contribution when I answered the poll.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:44 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

I was waiting for a dip to buy...and the dip turned into a cliff.
So, technically I put in +20% investment during the dip, unfortunately not at the lowest point...which is to be determined.
I'm well into the red now, sad to say experience.

-Mach
Old 08-16-2007, 05:50 PM   #26

Sold and then immediately bought back similar stuff. Finally have some tax losses to harvest! Woohoo!
Old 08-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #27

I bought VEU & VTI last week, but they continue to fall - bummer!:confused:
Old 08-16-2007, 06:24 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Checking the weather report - there have been no long power failures in Valley Forge - Vanguard computers probably have backup bats' any wise.

Target Retirement 2015 - ya gotta love automatic!

In keeping with 'sell in May and go away'. - my crystal ball says wait till the Saints open regular season against last years Superbowl champs before adjusting any of the Norwegian widow stocks.

Of course - one must be careful about past performance - a least with the stock market. Right?

heh heh heh -
Old 08-16-2007, 06:27 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

So far I'm standing pat. I'm still a bit ahead for the year (although that could only last a few more days at this rate) and that encourages me to hang on for the ride. I don't feel like I'm over-weighted in equities, so I can't see selling now.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:37 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
Sold and then immediately bought back similar stuff. Finally have some tax losses to harvest! Woohoo!
Ditto! I've saved myself thousands of dollars in taxes!!! Woohoo!
Old 08-16-2007, 06:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Ditto! I've saved myself thousands of dollars in taxes!!! Woohoo!
Isn't the term 'deferred'?
Old 08-16-2007, 06:50 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Isn't the term 'deferred'?
Not quite. I will use the losses to offset ordinary income and short term gains taxed at 33%, but the replacement gains will be held long term and those gains will be taxed at 15%. So that means Uncle Sam pays for 18% of my losses.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:28 PM   #33

i've been nibbling, but have fortunately been cautious so i still have a chunk sitting on the side-lines ...
Old 08-16-2007, 09:45 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

I voted "stayed put" but I did invest some money in the market by way of scheduled 401K, IRA and taxable account contributions (although it represents only about 1.2% of total portfolio). I haven't sold any equities but I did reduce the credit risk in my fixed income portfolio. I have some cash on the sidelines that I will inject in the market a little bit at a time.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:26 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I have learned to not try to time the market. I can point to few times that I guessed correctly. And if I got it right on one side of trade (for example got out)... I missed the other side (getting back in at the right time). I would only sell equities that were in trouble (looking like bankruptcy or fundamental problems). If the investment is a good one, I would hold it.

I use asset allocation. On the equity portion of the portfolio (the %)... Like Texas Holdem... I am all in!

I will just ride the waves and let some of those big upward equity waves slosh into my tranquil lagoon of bonds/fixed.

Thats my story, I am sticking to it.

Good luck to all.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:17 AM   #36

i wound up buying a bunch about 1/2 way down because i had just moved the remainder of my ira to vanguard. but then it kept on going down, bummer. i would be depressed about that but since i'm down 30% on real estate, what i've lost in the market hardly bugs me at all.

i'm pretty sure i was just mean for a weekly check or my allowance. i don't seem to get the hang of this. and since i have no intention of ever working again and mom is dead, um, anyone wanna adopt me? i come with a decreasing dowry but a well-stocked sense of humor.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:44 AM   #37

As usual, I did nothing.

I considered moving 50% of the bond funds into equities just to prove I'm so smart. But, what if I wasn't? Plus 64 is no age to gamble. "You gotta know when to hold 'em; know when to fold 'em; know when to walk away; know when to run."

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:45 AM   #38

We did some tax loss harvesting and thinned out the portfolio, which was much needed.

However we will now return to our normal schedule of purchasing once a week and we continue to buy via a few DRIP programs we participate in.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:39 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post

2Cor521
Hey lookee! I'm a contrarian indicator!

(Because I made the buy late yesterday afternoon, I got today's closing price.)

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:22 AM   #40

staying put for lotsa reasons:
-most holdings in taxable accounts
-buy & hold so would be facing big CG even to sell "losers" or less-desireable holdings; I also don't rebalance (bad!) for this reason.
-80% equities/10%bonds/10%cash; see above (urk!)

I would rather be buying but I have to take a close look at how much cash we really have to throw at this situation.. would rather not exacerbate any losses. As of today I looked and with Friday's prices YTD we are still up 6.5% (portfolio gains & investment income only) so I can't really say I am feeling any serious pain as of yet.

The same report run on Thursday's prices said 5.1%; on Wednesday's 10.3%.. big difference between 5% and 10%, but what can ya do? YTD 8/1/07 it was 12.6% (nice, but 6.5% is ok, too.. taking into account that if I look back 365 days to 8/18/06 the "year's" return for me was 16.3% -- sometimes the choice of "frame" is important).

The difference between the 5% ytd return and the 10% ytd return is predicated on a change (Wed.->Thurs.) of only 3% of the underlying portfolio which then got back about 1% (Thurs.->Fri.).

Not particularly scary yet, and even if it were I'm not convinced churning or pulling $ out is the appropriate solution.

Here's one way of looking at it:
Forbes.com: Digital Rules By Rich Karlgaard

---
Interesting! I figured more buyers than sellers.. but as of now the responses are 27/4 - quite a difference.