Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-04-2009, 04:41 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our family plan for me (44), DW (43) and kids (9 and 12) runs $491 through Blue Cross Blue Shield. High deductable (5K each) and 20% copay so it's not very good, but will work for emergencies I guess.

Found the plan though ehealthinsurance.com

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
That's about what I'm paying with my private coverage. I thought the public risk coverage was cheaper. But there's no exclusions, right? What's your lifetime maximum benefit, Martha?

No exclusions. Minnesota is the least expensive risk pool for what you get. Three million lifetime max.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:07 AM   #23

Martha,
Do you think the State type risk pools will change for the better if the pre-existing condition thing is eliminated due to congressional changes? Seems to me it would no longer be considered a high risk pool and everyone would be treated the same? That is giving me some hope for better pricing in my State which has a very expensive AHIP plan.
Steve
Old 08-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I suspect state pools may go away entirely if the pre-existing condition exclusion is removed via new health care regulations. Things are still way too fuzzy to be sure at this point.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #25

I have a high-deductible ($2500 ded) HSA-eligible plan and pay about $150/mo. I'm 49. I think the premium is going to jump to closer to $200 next year when I turn 50. I bought it through ehealthinsurance.

I also pay for a dental plan that gives me negotiated rates at my dentist. That plan costs about $100/yr but saves me more than $100 with just a typical year's worth of dental visits (I did the math before I signed up, and also verified that my dentist participated in the plan).
Old 08-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #26

With all the fog around the reform issues it is definitely hard to know if there will be anything in it that might help a early retiree.
Not sure if we will gain or lose but trying to find a sweet spot in there somewhere.
Steve
Old 08-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

MA is great for healthcare and I'm glad the state is doing something to get people covered and is now addressing cost, but MA is also the most expensive place in the US for healthcare. I can get a plan with a $2000 deductible for $329/month and one with no deductible for $469/month.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

2008 health insurance costs in US

I got an email with the AHRQ newsletter today. it included this story:

August 5, 2009, Issue #279

AHRQ News and Numbers

The cost of insuring a family of fourwithan employer-sponsored health plan in the United States averaged $12,298 in 2008. The annual premium for covering an employee and one family member, known as an“employee-plus-one” plan, averaged $8,535, while the annual premium for a plan that only covered the employee averaged $4,386. Almost 20 million of the 62.5 million workers enrolled in employer-based insurance in 2008 had family plans, while about 11 million had employee-plus-one plans. The 31.5 millionremaining workershad single-coverage plans. [Source: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, MEPS Statistical Brief #251: Employer-Sponsored Single, Employee-Plus-One, and Family Health Insurance: Selection and Cost, 2008.

http://www.meps.ahrq.gov/mepsweb/dat...51/stat251.pdf
Old 08-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
No exclusions. Minnesota is the least expensive risk pool for what you get. Three million lifetime max.
That's a good deal, Martha! Glad to hear about it.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I suspect state pools may go away entirely if the pre-existing condition exclusion is removed via new health care regulations. Things are still way too fuzzy to be sure at this point.

Risk pools are usually subsidized. If they are eliminated, the question is whether people with preexisting conditions will have to pay more than the healthy. Without some sort of rate restrictions the cost would be prohibitive.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #31

When I took a sabbatical, I went and got health insurance from UnitedHealth for $2K/year. After the first year, they raise it to $2.4K, I ended up dropping them. I was able to switch. But if I couldn't, after 15 years my insurance
would be over $30K/yr.

How many can RE if your insurance costs went up 20%/year?

The health care inflation rate is the biggest unknown.
And if the govt is able to fix this problem, I will be extremely happy,
but I'm not holding my breath.
TJ