Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2014, 01:31 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After a whole month of ER, a month that included quarterly real estate tax and water bills, my net worth is up $7k. This ER thing looks easy......a least until the 20% correction hits when I'm sure my mood will change. #shorttermsuccess

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #2

Congratulations on your ER. It's great to see your net worth go up after ER, but I wouldn't buy that Lamborghini just yet!!

Seriously, having a nice start will make that 20% correction more bearable.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Congratulations on your ER. It's great to see your net worth go up after ER, but I wouldn't buy that Lamborghini just yet!! Seriously, having a nice start will make that 20% correction more bearable.
With that Lamborghini reference have you been following the proposed changes to the UK pension system?

There's no fear of me buying an Italian sports car. I have a Honda Civic and used less than a quarter of a tank of gas last month because I did most of my trips on my bike.

With the DOW at an all time high I expect a correction eventually and then I'll see if my ER planning holds water.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Old 05-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #4

Congratulations on your retirement. You can say "wheee" when driving your Lamborghini, but please don't say anything about the market's performance
Old 05-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Congratulations on your retirement. You can say "wheee" when driving your Lamborghini, but please don't say anything about the market's performance

Yeah, that...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:19 PM   #6

Asset values are less important than cash flow in most instances.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
Asset values are less important than cash flow in most instances.
Agreed, so I'm putting dividends into my money market rather than reinvesting them and the $1200/month rental income is nice to have. No mortgage or other debt also means that I've minimized my need for income.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:08 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I pulled the plug late last August. The portfolio has increased by 4 year's living expenses since then. It's easy to get a false sense of security when the market keeps going up.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I pulled the plug late last August. The portfolio has increased by 4 year's living expenses since then. It's easy to get a false sense of security when the market keeps going up.
I agree, most of my gain isn't available to me as it's in tax deferred accounts and I'm 52. I'll take income from dividends and investment gains in my taxable accounts when I have them, but I have enough in cash and an accessible stable value fund to last me until 59.5 so I have no need to sell equites if the market is down.

Most of my $7k gain will just compound (hopefully) and get spent post 59.5

Old 05-01-2014, 09:36 PM   #10

Congrats!

You've planned and made a commitment & you'll make it work -correction or no correction. Unless your budget is an absolutely rock-bottom essentials only deal, you'll figure a way to cut back when times are rough & let loose a bit when times are good. I think flexibility is the secret sauce of a successful ER - and it is one of the few things that are in our control.

All the best.