ER on less than 600K ?

So Professor if you don't mind providing some financial details to help us understand the role your 500K portfolio will play in your retrement; what are your planned expenses for retirement, how much of that will be covered by the pension, how much will you be getting from SS at 62?  In your planning what life expectancy do you use?  All important considerations when planning a retirement.

Absolutely.

I have run my numbers with a 4% SWR and a life expectancy of 85.  I also have cash set aside for 3 years and will not touch the accounts which right now are doing extremely well.
My DB pension and SS at 62 will give me more than enough income without touching my portfolio--at least in the forseeable future.  Expenses?  1500-2000 per month on average.  And my insurance is such that I will pay a small percentage which was one of the perks of the job.  And that was the deal maker for me!!!!

I won't live a glamorous existence, but I won't be dumpster-diving either.  And the ability to call my own shots:  priceless.

Professor

Looks like you're all set, congrats!  It is great what a DBP will do for a person's retirement planning.  They are another valuable asset in your portfolio.  In fact, in your case every dollar your DBP currently produces monthly is worth $213.39 in assets and every dollar your SS (taken when you are 62) produces monthly will be worth $179.84.  And boy are you right about the health insurance, what a plus.

Back
Top Bottom