Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 08:28 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I love mine.

http://trippnyc.com/product/is6235p-eye/#

I couldn't figure out how to place only the paranoid jeans in this post, but I did try.
Did you get the same platform shoes too?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2015, 08:30 PM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry to hear that.

This is why I can't allow myself to get into a relationship. The risk is too high.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:20 PM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty View Post
Sorry to hear that.

This is why I can't allow myself to get into a relationship. The risk is too high.
**** happens, sometimes it doesn't. You can't wall yourself off due to fear.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:45 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salaryman View Post
**** happens, sometimes it doesn't. You can't wall yourself off due to fear.
I've managed to do it so far... It actually got a lot easier around age 30.

As long as I focus enough on making and saving money, that keeps my mind off of it.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:52 AM   #125
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
How do these sweeter than Tupelo Honey spouses become vindictive ex-spouses? Not sure, but the Y gene must somehow be at fault.

Ha
Hell hath no fury. Things are usually fairly civilized until you get a new partner. If you get the new partner before you leave the old one, look out. I think it might be due to the fact that some spouses become so dependent on their partners. Often financially but other ways too, that when they get left, it can be extremely traumatic. They think someone "stole their husband". Ridiculous.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:58 AM   #126

Quote:
Sorry to hear that.

Better to have loved and lost...... Children? Even though I went through one of the most expensive, bitter, public, long(15 years) divorces you could imagine, I got a wonderful daughter out of the deal. Also, wouldn't have met my current wonderful wife if I hadn't been married the first time.

You gotta go for. But be careful.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Also, wouldn't have met my current wonderful wife if I hadn't been married the first time.
Let me try to guess:
You married your first wife's best friend?
You married your first wife's cousin?
You married your first wife's brother?
Old 10-08-2015, 11:35 AM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I think she would have been too young when he got married the first time?
Old 10-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Dammar, thanks again for good counsel. I too have seen the damage when the lawyers hijack the process.
I tried to make a generous offer to avoid lawyers. DW refused. So then I just negotiated the minimums. As an example, her lawyer did not ask for half of my air miles and half of my government pension. Both of those are considered automatic. But I wanted to make sure her lawyer earned his money. He failed. And we signed the deal on the courthouse steps!

He wasted a lot of time on a corporation in which I had 50% ownership. I granted her half of my stock. But then it was handled easily (dilution through cash calls).
Old 10-08-2015, 11:59 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They think someone "stole their husband". Ridiculous.
It is that attitude of ownership that is so disgusting. I own this guy and you will pay to get him. Nobody owns anyone! Better beware of that attitude if you want to keep your spouse. I wonder what the divorce rate would be if it included a "Get out of jail free" card!
Old 10-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Let me try to guess:
You married your first wife's best friend?
You married your first wife's cousin?
You married your first wife's brother?
Hardly. I was thinking of timing availability, etc.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:31 PM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Better to have loved and lost...... Children? Even though I went through one of the most expensive, bitter, public, long(15 years) divorces you could imagine, I got a wonderful daughter out of the deal. Also, wouldn't have met my current wonderful wife if I hadn't been married the first time.

You gotta go for. But be careful.
I believe you are right about taking the chance and about kids. Despite our differences, we are very proud of the wonderful kids that came. If it hadn't been for the kids, I would not have had the fulfilling life that I had.

As for losing, I didn't get married thinking it would turn out this way. It just worked out this way and I am not blaming anyone nor looking backwards.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:50 AM   #133

Quote:
I believe you are right about taking the chance and about kids. Despite our differences, we are very proud of the wonderful kids that came. If it hadn't been for the kids, I would not have had the fulfilling life that I had.

As for losing, I didn't get married thinking it would turn out this way. It just worked out this way and I am not blaming anyone nor looking backwards.
Good for you. This will all pass and you will still have your wonderful kids. Make sure that you do everything you can to keep that relationship strong. Try to ignore the rest. Again, good luck.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:40 AM   #134

Quote:
I've managed to do it so far... It actually got a lot easier around age 30.

As long as I focus enough on making and saving money, that keeps my mind off of it.
No offense but that sounds like a character out of a Dickens novel.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:29 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Or Silas Marner, weaving on his loom.

But Zesty may not be the relationship "type." Some aren't. Even fewer realize and understand that about themselves. Let's leave him alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
Old 10-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

I think some people conflate relationship with legal marriage. As long as you keep an eye on jurisdictions and trends in family law one can have one without the other.

If you want children you as the likely non- custodial parent must be prepared for some pretty much open ended liabilities . jurisdiction is very important.

Most people need close love relationships. I certainly do. This morning I was waiting for a bus on 3rd ave and pike st. A woman in her mid fifties with a walker and some considerable spinal deformity was saying goodbye to a man who was about to board a bus. She said, Goodbye darling, I'll se you tomorrow.

She and her love were much better off for this tenderness.

Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-09-2015, 11:40 PM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
I've actually never read a complete Charles Dickens novel. If they've got anything in common with me, maybe I should!
Old 10-09-2015, 11:52 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Most people need close love relationships...
Love requires some give-and-take. People all understand that, but have different definitions and expectations.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:23 AM   #139
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Love requires some give-and-take. People all understand that, but have different definitions and expectations.
Maybe Love is the ultimate investment. Past performance is no guarantee of future performance. Sometime you ride a bull market and have dividends or you get hit with a correction and take a haircut.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:42 AM   #140
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Maybe Love is the ultimate investment. Past performance is no guarantee of future performance. Sometime you ride a bull market and have dividends or you get hit with a correction and take a haircut.
I guess I'm the type who values marital independence as much as financial independence, to me together they mean freedom. If matrimonium est lavorum, at least you ER'd from the more difficult one!

Tags
advice, challeges, divorce