Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Did you worry more BEFORE early retirement or AFTER early retirement?
Before Early Retirement 41 51.25%
After Early Retirement 19 23.75%
Same 20 25.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
Hey Khan, why the rolleyes? Canadian Railroad Trilogy is a great ballad!
Crap, hit the wrong smiley; supposed to be sunglasses guy.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2008, 08:52 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Cool.

Hey, I just noticed you're in the Dayton area.

"Mr. Tanner was a cleaner, from a town in the Midwest..."

"I've traded love for pennies, sold my soul for less" -Jim Croce, Age
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
Cool.

Hey, I just noticed you're in the Dayton area.

"Mr. Tanner was a cleaner, from a town in the Midwest..."
The late great Chapin:

I'm in the danceband on the Titanic...
Old 05-22-2008, 08:18 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting that by a 2 to 1 ratio, people worry more pre-retirement than post-retirement.

I guess it's the fear of the unknown. Once you're there, it's not as bad as you may have thought.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:45 AM   #45

I ER'd at 50 July 2001....I had different concerns during each phase....

before: Did I have enough money How family, etc. would handle it...What would it be like jumping ship and the security of the corporation safety net...would taking money out of IRA's early work...would I get into some kind of jam with the IRS, etc....could I get Health insurance...wasn't worried about having things to do I had a laundry list of things I wanted to do that were postponed because of work & family obligations - I'm still "working" through that list!

after: as I actually went through the experience I found that I was going to be OK...learned to adapt to the post bubble investment landscape..health insurance at first was Cobra but when I got my own I sweated it out for a few months to get approved by Blue Cross's underwriter - ended up getting high deductible - that eased their concerns...was concerned about committing myself to early 72t withdraws so for the first 2 years paid the 10% penalty - thankfully by waiting the balances went up and by being older the formula's results increased...also split up the IRA's so I could have one in reserve just in case...struggled for a while with how to handle the people that weren't cool with ER and I found there are plenty (you learn who the true blue friends are - I learned how to dodge and weave or just learned to not care finally).... also began to become concerned that when I woke up with nothing to do each morning that I would attempt to do too much of nothing at once and not just pace myself..soon realized that it would be ok to leave half of it for the next day

There was a certain low level of concern/worry of being on a tightrope at first, but that soon eased as I worked through things and discovered I would survive...

There is also an indescribable exhilaration that I'm still experiencing. I feel very fortunate happy and fulfilled that I took the great leap ...
Old 05-22-2008, 11:04 AM   #46

I voted for "The same", but I wouldn't call it "worry". I have been paying the same amount of attention to research & study and my finances before and after ER.

Full disclosure: I'm only 22 days into ER & it still feels like a vacation.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:42 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's a little over a year since I retired (at age 59).

Observations:

- The current impact to the economy (gas prices / house values / unemployment) mean little to me these days.

Although I do volunteer 1-2 days a week (for a few hours) I use much less gas than I did when I worked. In fact, when I took my "summer car" in for it's annual state inspection, I was surprised to hear that I only put on 950 miles since last inspection. When I worked, and it was a "Sunday" (any day the sun was out ) I always took the vert to work. These days it mostly sets in the garage (I won't sell it - if I "get the itch" to get another one, it would cost me more in the long run).

When I had a j*b, I worried about loosing it (through layoff). Since it was related to automotive manufacturing, you can imaging the "stress level" that I could have these days ....

As far as the value of our home, it is paid for (one of my DW's pre-retirement goals). We don't use it as a "piggy bank", nor do we expect to move from where we were both born/raised. You may think we're crazy to stay in the Northeast (less than 100 miles from NYC) but it has too much to offer. Additionally, we "lived" in Florida (when I was in the military), and both still enjoy the change in seasons. Even more now that I can just sit in front of the fireplace, with a glass of wine rather than try to get to w*rk on a rainy/snowy day....

There's a lot more (such as health wise - losing weight, eating "better" and keeping my T2 diabetes in check much easier) that I did not forsee before retirement. Now that I'm here, "life is good".

Oh yes, as far as financials go, changing my AA in preperation for retirement from 90/10 to 60/40 and including 3-4 years in MM's for income (in addition to a SPIA, but we won't speak of that here!) makes this current market "challange" easier to take.

All in all, retirement is better than planned, and better than expected...

- Ron
Old 05-23-2008, 08:07 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a View Post
Even more now that I can just sit in front of the fireplace, with a glass of wine rather than try to get to w*rk on a rainy/snowy day....
The first year after ER we had a 2.5 foot snowfall and one of the neat things was not going out of the house for a week except getting the mail & newspaper and watching everyone else struggle to leave for work. We were still in the "novelty/vacation" stage then.

DW still laughs at the traffic jams on the AM & PM TV news shows and says "I am SO glad we left that area!"
Old 05-23-2008, 09:37 AM   #49

Been retired for all of 2 1/2 months now (when does one stop counting 1/2 months; or even months?) Thought about and planned retirement for about 4 years and jumped in after DW retired and youngest son chose a state college (he just finished his first year, picked him up from the dorm yesterday). Do not plan to tap our tax deferred funds for at least another year. Who knows how it will go? I can't say I am worried now, but I wasn't worried then; I'm just not a worrier.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:51 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Who knows how it will go? I can't say I am worried now, but I wasn't worried then; I'm just not a worrier.
I'm the exact opposite. I worry about a lot of issues, especially when it comes to money. We have a relatively conservative/moderate (50/50) portfolio in our 401(k)s, and it has been killing me watching it the past week. Many would say not to watch. So long as our money is invested, I watch and worry.

Which probably explains why I can't commit the money we have in our savings/MM, which is more than we have in our 401(k)s. I understand that we are getting screwed by inflation this way, but I just can't stomach losing 2-3% of our portfolio in one week (realizing that there are much worse weeks than that in the market).

Is is probably because of this that I will end up working longer than I want. I'm 49, hoping to retire at 55, but planning on 60. Ugh ...
Old 05-23-2008, 09:33 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
There is also an indescribable exhilaration that I'm still experiencing. I feel very fortunate happy and fulfilled that I took the great leap ...
I'm not ERed, but I can relate to the feeling of elation as I walked out of my last job. All the tension in my neck, shoulders, and in between my eye brows just went away. It was like the first day of summer break except more real and more rewarding.

I don't know why work always has to suck. Most of the time, the work itself certainly is not the headache-causing problem. It's just that when you get a bunch of people together, and there is money on the line, you're bound to have egos, turfs battles, and just plain stupidity.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:28 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

I announced my retirement a couple of months ago due to a payrates cut imposed to save the company money. I am now only working 4 morning a week and still have my benefits and kept my existing hourly rate but at a reduced salary due to the cut in hours. Looking back at the situiation, it was the push that I needed. I will stay with the current work arrangement until things change again. Now I work for myself, my employeer just gets to purchase the excess hours that I elect to sell on the open job market. I can work from home much of the time. Much of the income from my job goes into my 401k. I worried before the ER, however, I sleep very well now.