Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Did you worry more BEFORE early retirement or AFTER early retirement?
Before Early Retirement 41 51.25%
After Early Retirement 19 23.75%
Same 20 25.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

ER Worry Level
Old 05-19-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ER Worry Level

For those that have fully retired (early), were you more worried the year before retiring or the year following retirement?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #2

'... what me worry?... '
A.E. Neuman
Old 05-19-2008, 01:16 PM   #3

I was a wreck before and during the 1st year of retirement. Now I'm sort of settling into the routine. I'm still concerned because this takes a little getting used to going from 2 paychecks to none but so far so good.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

I was not really worried just more concerned that my withdrawal plan would work . I slowly phased into retirement by working less and less so that really helped .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
For those that have fully retired (early), were you more worried the year before retiring or the year following retirement?
It had to be the year before retirement. You can run the numbers and wonder about this or that catastrophe, but sooner or later you must "just do it." After I did it, I found my worry lessening, until now I wonder what all the fuss was about.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
I appear to be the only after so far. Retiring relatively early (Age 50) from a Retirement System that doesn't really cater to that was a well-calculated plan. For the 7 years after the decision was made (about age 43ish) DW and I crunched the numbers and figured the figuring. We'd be powering down to about 35% of our previous best year. Then I (last of the two) jumped in with both feet.

The worry, what little there has been, came after, as it was a one-way street, with no real turning back option. I went out with the tentative plan that I could negotiate a one-day per week PT job back at the old plant, sort of a Consultant/Advisor job. After some months of decompression, I did indeed do that. We found that we were burning the extra funds on accumulating "stuff" that we certainly enjoyed, but didn't really need or require for a excellent quality of life. Also since the "stuff" we acquired has no sell-by-date, it will be with us pretty much with us until we get realistic and rid ourselves of some of it, and continue to enjoy the remainder.

The very PT job is now becoming a memory, and everything is quite right with the world. I found near the end of my limited tenure that even having to get up early and be someplace even one day each week was extremely annoying. And DW bless her pointy head heart actually likes having me around 7/24!

So the worrying for me was a temp thing in the mid-after FIRE time frame.

Now I'm 2 years in and things are settling down nicely, Life Is Good
Old 05-19-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I am an ISTJ; which means I plan everything to the last hair and no I do not worry!
blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
Worried about what?!?

OK, OK, before I retired in June 2002 we were worried about the stock market and 9/11. But we re-ran our numbers on 17 Sep 01 (the day the markets reopened) and our budget still worked. A month later the market began to turn around.

Haven't had anything significant to worry about for the past six years... although life has gotten pretty interesting since our teen got her driver's permit.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:54 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - I was 'unemployed' for a couple years until the light bulb finally finally came on. 'Look in the mirror dummy you don't need to work any more!'

Then again I stumbled into ER via layoff at age 49.

heh heh heh - .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

haven't posted on here in a while (too busy traveling, building, and having fun).

ER'd July 6, 2007.

Haven't had the time or the inclination to worry. I worried when I worked. Not much reason to worry now. I worked out an investment plan, allocated the assets, and haven't paid nearly as much attention to it as when I was employed.

In fact, I've been told several years have fallen off my face since I left the pressure cooker job.

I trust the plan and haven't seen any reason to seriously question it, other than the once yearly evaluation/rebalancing.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:10 PM   #11

before retirement i thought i was in much better financial shape. but i didn't understand diversification, i did not understand well enough the real estate bubble, had no idea it could drop so far so fast, had trouble thinking anyway because mom was on her death bed, and to top off my bad luck i took apparently terrible advice from my accountant uncle who worried that to sell the house before mom died would invoke too high a capital gains tax.

i'd been planning to downsize from my personal house which has since lost about $125k. the decision to follow my uncle's advice instead of going with my instincts cost me at least $165k, even with what would have been that gains tax. so all that kind of sucks.

to make it up for my since-retirement losses, i could either go back to work for a few years or vagabond for a few years which was part of my original planning anyway or i could make it up even faster if i joined the peace corp for a few years which is something i've wanted to do since high school. that last option offers me the opportunity to give back, to see the world and to just let the portfolio grow. sort of a win win win.

when i work all the numbers & projections it still looks like i'll be able to travel around, eventually sail around if i want, maybe have a small condo in a less expensive area of florida and by the time i'm 65 i should have at least twice the spendable income i have now if not more.

being unemcumbered, i really have no reason to be so worried but that doesn't seem to stop me. it's managable enough but if i had kids or a dependent partner i'd be freaking out right about now.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:17 PM   #12

After....but only because of my allocation (heavy in inherited bank stock).

But even so, the worry has been minimal as I am budgeted to live off of the dividends and SO FAR I have been spared any cuts !
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:52 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I retired a bit more than 3 years ahead of original plan.

I was really worried beforehand about living off the small pension, but I have been able to do so with no problem.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

As part of a large layoff I was forced into contemplating the next move and decided ER was best. So there was really no time to worry pre-ER. After 5 years I'm a happy camper. The decent investment environment has helped a lot too.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Before ER, I was quite worried I wouldn't be RIF'd with a severance package and would have to simply walk out empty handed. But, ahhh that wonderful day, they called me in, and with a grim and forlorn tone, eyes down to the table, the HR rep and my boss's boss announced they had to let me go in three months. YEEE....HAAA! The only break I ever got in my quest for FIRE. No inheritance, no big financial wins, only made decent money the last decade or so of my career....... just a well timed layoff with attractive serverance package. With that behind me, why worry now?
Old 05-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I was really worried beforehand about living off the small pension, but I have been able to do so with no problem.
Great, but...

Quote:
Living on stew and drinking bad whiskey.
... I hope this isn't the reason there's no problem!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:12 PM   #17

Perchance Khan is a Gordon Lightfoot fan?

"I've traded love for pennies, sold my soul for less" -Jim Croce, Age
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:28 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Can't vote.
Before retiring I was too ticked off for years to worry, too busy running numbers.
After retirement relieved, busy setting up house for sale.

Elated at bidding war, 4 days after listing had contract in hand. Prep work really paid off handsomely. Real estate marked already was bad, with oversupply of houses.

Then Moving,setting up new house 250 miles from old place etc.
Now just kicking back, looking at things as play.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:29 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
Perchance Khan is a Gordon Lightfoot fan?
Swinging our hammers in the bright blazing sun...
Old 05-19-2008, 08:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
The decent investment environment has helped a lot too.
Interesting, I read a comment recently (can't remember where unfortunately) that this has been the worst investment decade since the Great Depression. If this feels like a decent investment environment, looks like you are all set for a roaring good investing time when things turn around
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote