ER's flock to Seattle

Boy, this has turned into an earthquake thread vs "ER's flock to Seattle".
Seattle is so nice, it has to be balanced by mountains of rubble crushing us, fires burning us, giant tidal waves drowning us and finally, being frozen in a glacier.

We asked for it by being uppity and leaving flyover-ville.

Ha

Seattle is so nice, it has to be balanced by mountains of rubble crushing us, fires burning us, giant tidal waves drowning us and finally, being frozen in a glacier.

We asked for it by being uppity and leaving flyover-ville.

Ha

Right, no disasters ever strike places like New Orleans, or Joplin (Missouri), right? :2funny:

Just joking around. I think Seattle sounds like a very nice place to live, if one is either working or else retired on a big enough budget to handle the cost of living out there. That's not me, but I'm sure some people can handle it just fine without thinking twice about housing prices and such. That house that you linked to on the first post of this thread, sure wasn't cheap IMO.

I wouldn't worry one bit about earthquakes or tsunamis there. Well, I might look for a house that was built with earthquakes in mind, but that's about all if that. We can't live our lives in fear and trembling, and I don't see that Seattle is any more likely to have a disaster than any place else.

Last edited:
To a bar.
... which is housed in an igloo?

In contrast, you can by a home on Buffalo Bayou outside of Houston for <$100K and have a view of the Houston city skyline and all the traffic (no Space Needle).:D You would also get to experience a 12" rainstorm from time to time and watch your house fill up with water.:LOL:

I have not spent any time in the Houston area, and only drove the RV through once (traffic was terrible). So, I did not know of the Buffalo Bayou, and on the Web it looks like they turn it into a nice greenbelt with walking and biking trails. I will be sure to spend some time visiting in future RV trips to see for myself.

An inexpensive home there for catfish fishing right out the front porch? Do I need to watch that youtube video again on how to clean an alligator? I will not get to catch my own Dungeness crab, but the money saved on real estate will pay for a lot of crabs at Costco.

The potential problem I need to check out is mosquitoes! I ran across a blog by an RV'er who was ran out of Sea Rim State Park (about 60 miles east of Houston) by mosquitoes. They had to abandon camp in the middle of the night.

As I tried to dry myself off and get dressed, Stef started to kill mosquitoes. When I was dressed, I joined her. For over an hour, we killed mosquitoes inside our RV. By the thousands. It was pretty intense, and at some point, the intensity got to be too much for Stef. In a moment of panic, she decided she needed to apply some of our aerosol insect repellent… Right now… INSIDE THE RV. Remember, we only have a 22 foot class B. In seconds, Stef’s foray into chemical warfare started to give us both DEET poisoning. We put wet rags over our mouths and went back to killing mosquitoes.

Into the second hour, we were still killing mosquitoes, and we realized we weren’t making any headway. We thought they were getting inside somehow. I don’t know if that was actually true, because we were both woozy from the DEET fog. But there was no way we would be able to sleep in the RV without waking up as shriveled, bloodless corpses. It was still raining, and we were pretty much out of options. We admitted defeat. We had lost the Great Mosquito Siege of 2014. We just wanted to leave.

We had to break camp, which meant disconnecting the power and retracting the awning. Once again, I was nominated to go outside. The rain had not abated, and the mosquitoes had not either. At least, this time, I had the sense to go outside with some clothes on. Long pants. Jacket. Hat. Gloves. Closed toed shoes. I was fairly well protected, but breaking camp meant opening the door two more times. This let another 500,000 mosquitoes into the RV, but we were finally able to retreat.

More here: How NOT To Visit Texas. Part 2.

Last edited:
But I also noticed that, right next to the Shoalwater Bay Indian Tribe's Admin Bldg./local health clinic, there is a tall sturdy tree one could climb if you're life depended upon it.

And therein lies the rub. Now that I'm finally able to retire, I couldn't climb a tall sturdy tree if my life depended on it...

Boy, this has turned into an earthquake thread vs "ER's flock to Seattle".

Give it time. If we're lucky it will morph at least twice more. :cool:

Some posters tried to change the thread to "ERs flock from Seattle"? :)

I like to have a home on the Puget Sound, not really Seattle per se. It does not appear people flock from Seattle or its surroundings, judging from the housing prices. And while I like Seattle more than many other similar large cities, I am not sure if ERs flock to Seattle either. It's tough for ERs with no earned income to compete with the young workers, particularly DINKs with technical jobs. And I don't see why I should, when I could get nicer homes a bit further out from Seattle, and in more open space.

Last edited:
Plenty of miles of coastline in puget sound, and some diligent sleuthing can turn up gems. Finding them close to a marina or boat launch if you want a big boat can be tough, cause building a new dock on salt water is next to impossible.

I see Seattle is currently "worst traffic #6" right after Houston, so there is a price to pay for prosperity.

Back
Top Bottom