Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie View Post
Some of our generation may return to the communes from days gone by as a cost effective way to live out their days.

Groovy ! Let me get my tie dye dresses out of the attic and find my brownie recipe .

P.S I think communal living is a great idea for older boomers . A lot of us are single and could save a lot living in a commune plus we would have social interaction just not the se- org--s of years ago .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Newspaper's feelings are an undertone that I am starting to see starting to raise to the surface.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpond View Post
Newspaper's feelings are an undertone that I am starting to see starting to raise to the surface.
You mean thin skinned?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:50 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You mean thin skinned?
Seeing people that lived high on the hog (AKA refinanced house 4 times, took out the "equity" to consume beyond their means - driving the prices up for everyone else from airline tickets to toasters) getting bailed out.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by newspaper56 View Post
That is 800 dollars for a couple and the credit is for the next two years making it 1,600 dollars. Maybe you should be improving your math and reading skills instead of your sarcastic humor, Bubba.
Thanks so much! I have been living in Alabama for 4 years and not once have I been called Bubba. I was starting to wonder what I was doing wrong. So it's quite a badge of honor you are bestowing upon me.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpond View Post
I haven't noticed much of a backlash yet. Anyway, I'm not sure that outrage from the minority of people who are living within their means will have much of an impact. These people are apparently just spoilsports who don't want to share with the less fortunate. They should be thankful for what they have, and even more thankful the government has left them anything--for now. This is a new day--the slate is clean, and we need to work together to help each other, let bygones be bygones.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:08 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I haven't noticed much of a backlash yet. Anyway, I'm not sure that outrage from the minority of people who are living within their means will have much of an impact. These people are apparently just spoilsports who don't want to share with the less fortunate. They should be thankful for what they have, and even more thankful the government has left them anything--for now. This is a new day--the slate is clean, and we need to work together to help each other, let bygones be bygones.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:23 PM   #28

Quote:

But, a day of reckoning will come and the piper will be paid. It ain't gonna be pretty.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I guess I'll consider not getting a break because I have no earned income the "financial independence tax".

Audrey
Old 02-18-2009, 09:17 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Don't venture into Youtube about this topic huh? Thousands of submissions are posted by Joe Six Pack daily ranting against it.

Here is an example of one that was just posted. Caution: Salty Language.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

ROTFLMAO! I'm dying, this guy is hilarious! I love the southern accent with the rap music in the background. I think this guy might be cool to hang out with!
Old 02-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
ROTFLMAO! I'm dying, this guy is hilarious! I love the southern accent with the rap music in the background. I think this guy might be cool to hang out with!
She has great stuff too.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:52 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
I was afraid he was going to have a stroke on camera. His parents should look into getting a refund for the tuition they paid for his finishing school, but he'd be a fun guy to go out shooting with.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:05 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Oh GAWD! Stop! I'm dying here! This guy needs his own sattelite radio station.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:29 PM   #35

He talks revolution and I bet a dark sedan and some nice suits will be paying a social call on him soon.

Today the housing bailout was unveiled by POTUS about 8 miles from here. An hour before he arrived they had 500 protesters. Not a single nat'l media mentioned that all day that I heard. And the TV was surfing news channels all day today.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:36 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

LOL! That guy's funny. That "ciggy" in the first few seconds of video 2 sure seems to mellow him out a lot... And he sure needs it!
Old 02-18-2009, 10:45 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie View Post
Today the housing bailout was unveiled by POTUS about 8 miles from here. An hour before he arrived they had 500 protesters. Not a single nat'l media mentioned that all day that I heard. And the TV was surfing news channels all day today.
Interesting. I would think that 3 months ago the protesters would have lead the coverage.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:27 PM   #38

So, let's see. The last time the govt gave 'us' a stimulus payment, they turned around and retrieved it during the following tax year (see this year's 1040).

If I get a credit, I'd like to keep it rather than returning it.

-- Rita
Old 02-18-2009, 11:28 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Thanks so much! I have been living in Alabama for 4 years and not once have I been called Bubba. I was starting to wonder what I was doing wrong. So it's quite a badge of honor you are bestowing upon me.
I lived in Alabama for about 4 years myself and never heard much mention of "Bubba." So I think you are right, you have a badge of honor
Now down in REWahoo land, it is much different. If you want to get attention in a crowded theatre, you don't yell "FIRE," you yell "BUBBA."
It is pretty much guaranteed 75% of the men will jump up and probably 50% of the women.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:57 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wish I could feel so glib about how we are going to pay for Tarp I, Tarp II, this stimulas package and the one around the corner.