Estate planning

SumDay

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I realize this is probably preaching to the choir here at ER, but NPR did a high-level piece this a.m. on estate planning.

From Grief Comes A Mission To Make Estate Planning Less Daunting : NPR

"It takes really just a few hours now, rather than a pile of hours and thousands of dollars to do it later when you really need it done," says Chanel Reynolds, who created a website geared to help people get their affairs in order.

The Seattle mother of two launched the bluntly written, one-stop estate planning site after her husband was fatally injured in a biking accident. On top of grief, she faced stress and costs because there was no will or any of the other legal documents needed to handle a loved one's assets.

One very valid point they raised was to make sure your parents have all their documents in order. You can listen to the 5 minute audio, or visit her website, or download the checklist.

Next week's Financial Basics for Baby Boomers is going to discuss annuities. :cool:

I like the name of the checklist. Direct. Blunt. No-nonsense.

I've also though of this in terms of what DD would have to go through should DW and I pass at the same time in an accident or something since we travel together all the time.

Thanks for posting.

I heard the piece as well and it's prompted me to check my arrangements. I've gone over the beneficiaries for my retirement accounts and simplified my will.

Back
Top Bottom