Join Early Retirement Today

Estate planning
Old 03-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Estate planning

I realize this is probably preaching to the choir here at ER, but NPR did a high-level piece this a.m. on estate planning.

From Grief Comes A Mission To Make Estate Planning Less Daunting : NPR

Quote:
"It takes really just a few hours now, rather than a pile of hours and thousands of dollars to do it later when you really need it done," says Chanel Reynolds, who created a website geared to help people get their affairs in order.

The Seattle mother of two launched the bluntly written, one-stop estate planning site after her husband was fatally injured in a biking accident. On top of grief, she faced stress and costs because there was no will or any of the other legal documents needed to handle a loved one's assets.
One very valid point they raised was to make sure your parents have all their documents in order. You can listen to the 5 minute audio, or visit her website, or download the checklist.

Next week's Financial Basics for Baby Boomers is going to discuss annuities.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like the name of the checklist. Direct. Blunt. No-nonsense.

I've also though of this in terms of what DD would have to go through should DW and I pass at the same time in an accident or something since we travel together all the time.

Thanks for posting.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I heard the piece as well and it's prompted me to check my arrangements. I've gone over the beneficiaries for my retirement accounts and simplified my will.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
estate planning