Join Early Retirement Today

estimated taxes due in mail today
Old 06-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

estimated taxes due in mail today

Of the various estimated tax due dates I've always found June 15th the most forgettable.

GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #2

I thought they were due July 15?

Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Good reminder. I just paid both my state and federal online. I agree that the June 15 deadline is forgettable. So I just looked on the IRS website, and the June 15 payment is for a two-month period only (April and May). The last payment for the year is for a 4-month period (Sept-Dec). So they really aren't quarterly payments if you want to get technical.
CitizenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the reminder.

I'll also mention again, if you take RMDs, the simple, easy way to make estimated payments is to have them taken out of the RMD as a withholding. It can be done as a once a year withdrawal, and it still counts to the IRS the same as being done quarterly. If your RMD covers your total estimated taxes, it's "one and done".

Fidelity allows you to do this on-line for Federal, and for IL (I assume all states are covered).

I'm not taking RMDs yet, but I set this up for my MIL, and verified it all with her tax guy. A few clicks on-line at Fidelity (or other place that supports this) sure beats writing eight checks a year, and worrying if they got lost in the mail, or navigating the Fed and State sites to set up payments there.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #5

Thanks for the reminder! Just paid my quarterly taxes. Added to my iphone calendar for future years.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:30 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have to do a thing. I have both the EFTPS (and the equivalent service for the State of Louisiana) set up to automatically pay them for me today by automatic deduction from my checking account. I always keep enough in checking to cover estimated taxes in case I accidently forget.

Knowing about the EFTPS is ANOTHER one of those amazing and helpful bits of information that I originally got from Audreyh1, who has posted about it for years. Thank you once again for your helpful posts, which I personally value a lot, Audreyh1.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:34 AM   #7

I use EFTPS and got my BoA alert that the IRS withdrew mine today.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R;
I don't have to do a thing. I have both the EFTPS (and the equivalent service for the State of Louisiana) set up to automatically pay them for me today by automatic deduction from my checking account. I always keep enough in checking to cover estimated taxes in case I accidently forget.
I can do that for PA state taxes. I don't see that option on the IRS site.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R;

Knowing about the EFTPS is ANOTHER one of those amazing and helpful bits of information that I originally got from Audreyh1, who has posted about it for years. Thank you once again, Audreyh1.
Ahhh...thanks for the link!
Old 06-15-2018, 12:06 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
I use EFTPS and got my BoA alert that the IRS withdrew mine today.
Yep - from different bank.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:09 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I've missed the June payment a couple of times and made it in July. Never a word from the IRS on this.

Now I do the EFTPS thing on automatic.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:15 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I'm still doing my manually, and I generally schedule to pay it 1 or 2 days in advance.
Our payments are fluctuating a lot yr to yr, hopefully in a few years they will be consistent.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #13

After taxes are done for the year, I estimate what I might owe and set up EFTPS for the first 3 quarterly payments. By the time I get to late December I'll know if I need to make a smaller/larger 4th Q payment.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
. . . I'll also mention again, if you take RMDs, the simple, easy way to make estimated payments is to have them taken out of the RMD as a withholding. It can be done as a once a year withdrawal, and it still counts to the IRS the same as being done quarterly. If your RMD covers your total estimated taxes, it's "one and done". . .
I schedule EFTPS and state payments as well, in January after taxes and an annual Roth conversion.

The conversion accounts for most of my taxable income. Is there a work around that would allow me one payment rather than four, similar to the RMD withholding? Perhaps withholding from a single Roth conversion in December?

Reducing my Roth contribution isn't a factor, since the source of my tax payment is either a traditional or Roth IRA.

Maritime signal flag W-Whiskey, "I require medical assistance."

Technically not early retirement in 2015 at 64-1/2. 32% of men and 37% of women who claimed Social Security that year were 62. (Annual Statistical Supplement, 2016, Table 6.B5)
whaleknives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:39 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaleknives View Post
I schedule EFTPS and state payments as well, in January after taxes and an annual Roth conversion.

The conversion accounts for most of my taxable income. Is there a work around that would allow me one payment rather than four, similar to the RMD withholding? Perhaps withholding from a single Roth conversion in December?

Reducing my Roth contribution isn't a factor, since the source of my tax payment is either a traditional or Roth IRA.
AFAIK, any withholding is treated by the IRS as if it was done evenly over the year.

Here's a more up-to-date source than I found at the time I started this for MIL:

https://www.kiplinger.com/article/re...your-rmds.html

Quote:
.. So if your RMD is large enough to cover your entire tax bill, you can keep your cash safely ensconced in the IRA most of the year, avoid withholding on other sources of retirement income, skip quarterly estimated payments . . . and still avoid the underpayment penalty.
They also mention that you can have w/h from SS, and that your State may not be handled by your brokerage (Fidelity does handle IL).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:17 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I've missed the June payment a couple of times and made it in July. Never a word from the IRS on this.

Now I do the EFTPS thing on automatic.
Do you enter in your tax software what date you paid it? Thatís where it is reconciled.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Do you enter in your tax software what date you paid it? Thatís where it is reconciled.
Always.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:10 PM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
AFAIK, any withholding is treated by the IRS as if it was done evenly over the year.

Here's a more up-to-date source than I found at the time I started this for MIL:

They also mention that you can have w/h from SS, and that your State may not be handled by your brokerage (Fidelity does handle IL).

-ERD50
Thanks. Now all I have to do is compare earlier Roth returns against later tax payment. Inertia is powerful.

Maritime signal flag W-Whiskey, "I require medical assistance."

Technically not early retirement in 2015 at 64-1/2. 32% of men and 37% of women who claimed Social Security that year were 62. (Annual Statistical Supplement, 2016, Table 6.B5)
whaleknives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:28 PM   #19

Never heard of EFTPS, so thanks W2R and Audrey. So far I only need to pay quarterly taxes for the state since NFCU won't withhold. We have a pretty good state payment system but I wish they would send an email reminder ahead of time or I should probably change the auto debit to an account that holds more cash than my checking account.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:31 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

-ERD50
Thank you! Had no idea this could be done to cover our monthly income (SS & annuity) as well. This will streamline not only the quarterly payments, but also tax documentation. 2017 taxes will be our first full year of retirement so other than investment income, other income is more or less static and all of our RMDs are scheduled for mid November.

TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote