Join Early Retirement Today
ETF in Taxable - newbie account help pls
Old 11-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
ETF in Taxable - newbie account help pls

I found this great thread Reconsidering ETF Portfolio but I would appreciate additional slow explanations.

This is our first taxable account (... we already pay a lot of tax), so I think I want to start this off with 70% domestic total stocks and 30% international ex-US stocks. I think the funds would be VTSAX (admiral) and VGTSX in funds and I think ETFs will save a bit of money over funds.

(1) Are the closest corresponding Vanguard ETFs VTI and VEU ?

(2) Should I delay purchasing until January or after distributions - how do I decide/calculate if it is likely to be big problem for ETFs?

I found last years table but would some kind reader explain which numbers are a problem for taxable. I don't usually have problems with numbers but don't understand what distribution yield % is as I couldn't get it from the distribution column.

(3) I read that quite a few posters had issues with Vanguard brokerage - is it worthwhile opening an account elsewhere to just handle single monthly additions by limit orders?

Thanks for your help.

SVHoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I can give you an opinion on 2 & 3.

At this point in the year, given that you're already paying a "lot of tax", I would buy after the distribution. Look for the ex-dividend date for the funds/etfs.

Vanguard doesn't have a flashy site or features, but if you're going to buy & hold, it isn't too bad. I've been using it happily for years. You get some perks for having large amounts of money with Vanguard. Look into their flagship and voyager services.

No bond funds? Or, are they in your tax-deferred portfolio (where they rightfully belong)

walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
Thanks WalkinWood we have IRAs and 401k at Vanguard, so good to hear that brokerage has been adequate for you.

Yes have bonds in a rollover IRA.
SVHoper is offline   Reply With Quote