ETF in Taxable - newbie account help pls

SVHoper

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi,

I found this great thread http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/reconsidering-etf-portfolio-41729.html but I would appreciate additional slow explanations.

This is our first taxable account (... we already pay a lot of tax), so I think I want to start this off with 70% domestic total stocks and 30% international ex-US stocks. I think the funds would be VTSAX (admiral) and VGTSX in funds and I think ETFs will save a bit of money over funds.

(1) Are the closest corresponding Vanguard ETFs VTI and VEU ?

(2) Should I delay purchasing until January or after distributions - how do I decide/calculate if it is likely to be big problem for ETFs?

I found last years table but would some kind reader explain which numbers are a problem for taxable. I don't usually have problems with numbers but don't understand what distribution yield % is as I couldn't get it from the distribution column.
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insights/taxcenter/qdi/yearend-fund-distributions

(3) I read that quite a few posters had issues with Vanguard brokerage - is it worthwhile opening an account elsewhere to just handle single monthly additions by limit orders?

Thanks for your help.

I can give you an opinion on 2 & 3.

At this point in the year, given that you're already paying a "lot of tax", I would buy after the distribution. Look for the ex-dividend date for the funds/etfs.

Vanguard doesn't have a flashy site or features, but if you're going to buy & hold, it isn't too bad. I've been using it happily for years. You get some perks for having large amounts of money with Vanguard. Look into their flagship and voyager services.

No bond funds? Or, are they in your tax-deferred portfolio (where they rightfully belong)

Thanks WalkinWood we have IRAs and 401k at Vanguard, so good to hear that brokerage has been adequate for you.

Yes have bonds in a rollover IRA.

Back
Top Bottom