Join Early Retirement Today

ETF Trend Trading?
Old 01-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

ETF Trend Trading?

Anyone familiar with this? My sister posted a note on FB, so I googled it. It appears to be a course for ETF trading. I'm a bit concerned because my sister has a tendency to fall for hype. But, I don't want to make any snap judgements. So, just wondering if anyone out there familiar with the program?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
Anyone familiar with this? My sister posted a note on FB, so I googled it. It appears to be a course for ETF trading. I'm a bit concerned because my sister has a tendency to fall for hype. But, I don't want to make any snap judgements. So, just wondering if anyone out there familiar with the program?
Were you planning to offer a link to whatever it is that you Googled? Is "ETF trend trading" just the phrase you chose for the title of the thread, or is it the name of the course?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
If you believe that long term profitable trend trading is possible for non-professional investors, this may be fine as that sort of thing goes. If you think that profitable trend trading is an oxymoron, and if your opinion is accurate, then your sister will probably get whacked sooner or later.

Ha
Old 01-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Oops....sorry. Here's the link. ETF Trading | ETF Trading Strategies | ETF Trading System | ETF Securities - ETF Trend Trading

Looks a little sleazy to me.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:26 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oy, the guy can't stop typing, can he?

I guess if the program was as good as he thinks it is, then he'd be spending all day doing what he preaches and wouldn't have to charge you for his "system".

As for your sister... well, some people learn better by doing than by listening. Perhaps this would be a good opportunity for you to stay silent unless specifically asked for your opinion.

I know that Mark Hulbert makes a pretty good living by tracking the performance records of investment newsletters. It'd be interesting to see if anyone does the same by evaluating investment systems-- testing them against history just like FIRECalc tests the hypothetical performance of investment portfolios.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
It'd be interesting to see if anyone does the same by evaluating investment systems-- testing them against history just like FIRECalc tests the hypothetical performance of investment portfolios.
Sounds to me like a project for a guy named Nords. After all, I hear he is running out of projects.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Two books for you.
*ETF Trading Strategies by Vomund
*Buy-Don't Hold by Masonson

I developed my own approach based on the info provided. It is a great deal of work, but so far the results have been very nice.
Bottom line, the concept of trend trading for fun and profit is real, but like everything in the markets--there ain't no free lunch and the bigger the return-the greater the risk.
I'd be suspicious of courses and seminars. Try the books first.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:07 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Sounds to me like a project for a guy named Nords. After all, I hear he is running out of projects.
The real work starts after the book manuscript is written...

We've had a few posters here over the years testing various investment systems-- Poyet comes to mind-- but they all seem to wander off after a few months.