Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-11-2018, 09:55 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I've just considered music to be a hobby that pays for itself. I don't make a lot and it's never been about the money...but, it is nice to do something I love and walk out at the end of the night with a few $$ in my pocket rather than having a hobby that cost me money every time I partake.
I've never been good enough of a musician to do that, but I have friends who are. For none of them is music a significant source of income, but they love their gigs. It makes perfect sense to me. They get a chance to play together with their band members, make some beer money, sure, but for them now, it's about the gig.

Two of my best college friends tell me that per gig, in inflation adjusted dollars, they were actually making a lot more in 1973, than they do now. There are so many more people willing to play for nearly nothing, that what places need to pay has not really kept up with, say, the price of drink at the bar.

One of those two guys' dad died when we were in high school together. His playing, solo and band, really helped him out financially in our college years. He tell me that now, it would be hard to do that well playing coffee shops and restaurants.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^^
You're right in saying that there's no real money in it anymore. Bands around here get paid today about the same they used to get paid 30 years ago, and often less because instead of playing from Tuesday/Wednesday to Saturday, you now only play on Friday and/or Saturday because they now have other events during the week instead of a band for 4 or 5 consecutive nights.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:40 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Three. You forgot to include "full time private wealth manager" in your count.

I'm kidding here of course - we all do things that bring us enjoyment or fulfillment, or prove challenging and interesting. Some pays. Some pays well. Some pays not at all.

Your ref'ing sounds like work to me (being at a designated time based on someone else's schedule that you agree and commit to ahead of time; commuting; being held to some standards; significant time commitment). But to you it's very likely viewed as a hobby because the fun/challenge elements far outweigh the BS part of it.

At the end of the day no one issues Early Retirement Club cards and there's no real Internet Retirement Police ripping those cards to shreds for violating our ER Club community standards (notwithstanding the intent and desires of some members of this forum ).

It's like indecency - we know it when we see it but it's hard to define and opinions of what constitutes it are so disparate that definitions are near meaningless.
I know Fuego. I was just messin. You are right about the how you look at it approach. When people do volunteer they usually have to be somewhere at a certain time and maybe held to some standard but they don't get paid so it's not a side hustle. When I coached I mostly did not get paid but I had to be somewhere at a certain time and was held to standards. Many of my baseball umpire buds volunteer for the fall LL schedule. The have to commute, held to standards and have a schedule.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:01 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
I know Fuego. I was just messin. You are right about the how you look at it approach. When people do volunteer they usually have to be somewhere at a certain time and maybe held to some standard but they don't get paid so it's not a side hustle. When I coached I mostly did not get paid but I had to be somewhere at a certain time and was held to standards. Many of my baseball umpire buds volunteer for the fall LL schedule. The have to commute, held to standards and have a schedule.
When I look at what I do vs. the standard volunteering arrangement, my "side hustles" come with a lot more freedom! Instead of commuting to a volunteer gig M/W/Fri from 8 am to noon or whatever, or more sporadically for one-off events, I just do whatever I want when I want. And from wherever I want. Or do nothing at all some weeks/months.

Always great to have flexibility and no need to make $$. I think the Internet Retirement Police here get to take out an extra 0.1 or 0.2% SWR when they criticize others for not being fully retired. Must be something in it for them else why would they defend the ER Orthodoxy so much?
Old 02-11-2018, 10:30 PM   #65

Quote:
When I look at what I do vs. the standard volunteering arrangement, my "side hustles" come with a lot more freedom! Instead of commuting to a volunteer gig M/W/Fri from 8 am to noon or whatever, or more sporadically for one-off events, I just do whatever I want when I want. And from wherever I want. Or do nothing at all some weeks/months.

Always great to have flexibility and no need to make $$. I think the Internet Retirement Police here get to take out an extra 0.1 or 0.2% SWR when they criticize others for not being fully retired. Must be something in it for them else why would they defend the ER Orthodoxy so much?
I don't think anyone has criticized anyone on this thread. The thread title pokes a little fun at the use of the term "side hustle" as a euphemism for "part time job".

Lighten up... it's ok...no police here. No "orthodoxy", whatever that means in this reference.

It's all good, mon.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:51 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

The Internet Retirement Police was a term invented by the Mr. Money Moustache guy to deflect legitimate criticism of his retirement blog by posters from places like Reddit and Bogleheads who pointed out he was working full time, his initial numbers didn't add up and his budget left out major expenses items from his blog. Name calling is pretty much playbook technique #1 for deflecting valid criticism of facts or assumptions, instead of addressing the actual issue at hand.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I don't think anyone has criticized anyone on this thread. The thread title pokes a little fun at the use of the term "side hustle" as a euphemism for "part time job".

Lighten up... it's ok...no police here. No "orthodoxy", whatever that means in this reference.

It's all good, mon.
There's definitely an ER Orthodoxy and they sharpen their pitchforks regularly. Just because they haven't extended their secret handshake to you doesn't mean they don't convene regularly.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:11 AM   #68
Dryer sheet wannabe

Parhur

I hate the term side hustle. who started that term
parhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:15 AM   #69
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by parhur View Post
I hate the term side hustle. who started that term
https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...ng-side-hustle

You might hate the term. But you must agree it sounds more hip than "second job". Fewer negative connotations.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:05 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

I’ve seen side hustle mostly used for those who can’t get by on their full time gig and need a second job just to live. Often it’s teachers in high cost of living cities.
ceciledian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:16 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

I get paid $135/acre to watch grass grow by the government. To think I used to joke about paint drying and grass growing on this very forum.

heh heh heh - Also researching $ programs for Monarch butterflies but there is a waiting list and pay is less and involves some prep WORK!

AND to think all those years of 'buy index funds you dam fool' went unpaid. Need to polish my skills as a 'financial guru'.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:23 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There's definitely an ER Orthodoxy and they sharpen their pitchforks regularly. Just because they haven't extended their secret handshake to you doesn't mean they don't convene regularly.
Love that one.

Getting layed off, temp work here and there, not getting a pension til 55, taking in boarders, etc.

I wasn't wasn't a high class ER until I decided I ARE one.

heh heh heh - This forum helped. May the dryer sheets be with you and with your ER.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:34 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
To me, a "side hustle" is what you do "on the side" for "extra cash". If it's a necessary source of income then it's just a "job". Whether it's the only job you have, your second or third or fourth job, it's still a job. You're working for a paycheck.
Good description. I would go further and say that if you HAVE to be somewhere at a certain time/day and someone is going to TELL you what you have to do, and then you get $$$ for doing that "thing", then you have a J-*-B and *not* a hustle.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:05 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
^^
You're right in saying that there's no real money in it anymore. Bands around here get paid today about the same they used to get paid 30 years ago, and often less because instead of playing from Tuesday/Wednesday to Saturday, you now only play on Friday and/or Saturday because they now have other events during the week instead of a band for 4 or 5 consecutive nights.
We've been discovering some pretty amazing local bands that play at no cover charge places. I don't understand the economics of it for the bands, but we have discovered some really great bands and only have to pay for drinks and leave a tip in the band's tip jar.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:09 PM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciledian View Post
I’ve seen side hustle mostly used for those who can’t get by on their full time gig and need a second job just to live. Often it’s teachers in high cost of living cities.
I've seen a few folks call their jobs a 'side hustle'. They truly believe they have something bigger coming any day now, but in the meantime they don't want to admit that their job is delivering pizza or driving Uber. Side Hustle seems to be a lot more hip than to admit that you have a crappy job, but it is enough while you are living in your Mom's basement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holding-out-for-a-management-position.jpg (86.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 02-23-2018, 05:34 AM   #76

'side hustle' = Waste of time j*b.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:17 PM   #77
gone traveling

I must say the days of being able to support a family with one breadwinner in a lifetime job and a fat pension are indeed gone. Most everyone I know enjoys a side hustle of some sort to fill economic needs on an as needed basis - its the new gig economy - more freedom to design your lifestyle according to the needs at the time
michelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:19 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelek View Post
I must say the days of being able to support a family with one breadwinner in a lifetime job and a fat pension are indeed gone. Most everyone I know enjoys a side hustle of some sort to fill economic needs on an as needed basis - its the new gig economy - more freedom to design your lifestyle according to the needs at the time
+1 Early retired, but my side hustle as pet sitter lets me be my own boss for the first time. Fun, and I can contribute to an IRA, possibly get some saver's credit, and deduct my health care premium (up to earnings). I also try to earn enough work credits to pass recency of work for social security disability eligibility.