Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I'm betting it goes up a bit then comes back down as people start thinking, "Secrets? WTF?"
Shows why I don't market time. Dow up 330. Oh well, maybe it will fall 400 tomorrow.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Shows why I don't market time. Dow up 330. Oh well, maybe it will fall 400 tomorrow.
On the plus side, the last 30 minutes was impressive.
We had an upside MACD crossover in all 3 averages. That will be a buy signal for some of those dirty rotten market timers.
On the negative side, the S&P is nearing significant resistance at 1200. Breaking above and holding would be very positive. A down day could portend yet another tumble.

The spotlight is now on earnings. The perfect upward storm would include (1) something real from the Europe deal (2) Good 4th qrt outlooks. (3) something positive out of Washington.
My bet is more upside, but not explosive.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
The spotlight is now on earnings. The perfect upward storm would include (1) something real from the Europe deal (2) Good 4th qrt outlooks. (3) something positive out of Washington.
My bet is more upside, but not explosive.
I place my money on Europe. If they can do something solid over there I think our markets could pop. If perceptions are reality then some of those $trillions US corporations are sitting on could get broken loose. That could lead to an upbeat 2012 which would be great for our portfolios and have a huge political impact here.

Or, none of that may happen...
Old 10-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I think the European Secret will turn out to be an ingenious proposal allowing each EU country to set their own monetary policy to suit their unique national requirements. The countries will each issue something called "currency" and can print as much or as little as they chose. The market will set the value of each and lax fiscal discipline in one country won't impact other countries.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

DH & I were on a road trip all last month, bumped into a couple of German tourists on 'holiday'. When I asked about their take on the European financial crisis one commented, "The economy of Greece vs the EU is akin to that of North Dakota vs the USA. Chump change. Relax."
Old 10-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
DH & I were on a road trip all last month, bumped into a couple of German tourists on 'holiday'. When I asked about their take on the European financial crisis one commented, "The economy of Greece vs the EU is akin to that of North Dakota vs the USA. Chump change. Relax."
It's not the size of their economy that counts; it's the amount of their bonds held in EU Banks.

Ha
Old 10-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
It probably will be down tomorrow. I bought a big chunk of Wellington on Saturday morning before any of the good news hit. I am guessing my buy price was as of close today.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Of course, if the problem is not lack of confidence but instead lack of solvency, the secret doesn't matter, and neither does Monday. The emperor has no clothes. There, or here.
Yep...when you have super fast computer programs running/controlling the stock market,(as seen on 60 minutes). We, are always going to be seconds behind the big corporations when you buy and sell. That is why "They" are saying we are having all these ups & downs as of late. Take your money and run!

Trex
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
...When I asked about their take on the European financial crisis one commented, "The economy of Greece vs the EU is akin to that of North Dakota vs the USA. Chump change. Relax."
So size matters? ...

Anyway, it's the old thing of buy on the rumor, sell on the fact.

Nothing new here, IMHO. I'm sure when the "proposal" is delivered, there will not be any immediate change to the underlying Euro States positions since no solution will be accepted by all (sounds a bit like our own situation, within the Beltway )...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
It probably will be down tomorrow. I bought a big chunk of Wellington on Saturday morning before any of the good news hit. I am guessing my buy price was as of close today.
Not a guess - your price is monday's closing price.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:53 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
European Problem Solved? It's a Secret

Ok...I'll say it. I thought someone figured out how to keep their pants dry after they coughed/sneezed and were keeping it to themselves.
Good one. Actially, I think you're right -- I saw this interview on the news.

Brian Williams: Are you willing to reveal your secret solution to this problem?
Angela Merkel: Depends!
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Oh noes! The Slovakian Senate vote is delayed! Turn those machines back on! Get back in there, and sell, Sell, SELL!

I think I'll take a nap.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Oh noes! The Slovakian Senate vote is delayed! Turn those machines back on! Get back in there, and sell, Sell, SELL!

I think I'll take a nap.

Now those Slovakian rejected the bailout of the "spendthrift" Greeks. If you think about there really has been remarkable progress in Europe now days disputes between countries is settled with bombast and not bombs.

Unfortunately the opportunities for satisfying the bombast market (microphone, speechwriters, and electronic thesaurus) are much smaller than the bomb market.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote