Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 10:43 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I agree with the giving close to home part. I am very leary of huge outfits with their overhead but don't use that as an excuse not to give (not saying anyone does). We we give to a local no-kill pet shelter that we vetted out and volunteer at. That and local food pantries. We also donate time on top of cash.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2016, 10:55 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8tr View Post
..........I've thought about going into a low income neighborhood elementary school and pay the tab for all student lunch accounts that are in arrears. Unfortunately, part of me feels like that might just enable the parents to waste money on more vices for themselves..............
Yea, that's a good reason to let those kids go without. Their parents "probably" would just waste even more money. Good for you.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:25 AM   #23

Well if you're feeling something is missing and maybe you need a vacation, take one.

When I was working I splurged on nice vacations and nice presents for loved ones once in a while. Don't get so hung up on saving for retirement that you don't enjoy the now too.

We also gave modestly to various charities as we saw some needs and some obligations. Since retiring I donate nothing but objects, time, and blood. If the portfolio does well over the next ten years then I'll open the spigot again. No point in being charitable now if it means I'll be a drain n others later.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:49 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My spouse's church kept wanting to build bigger buildings.

We decided that feeding the hungry in our own city was more important than building a bigger and better church building, the Pastor's ego, and the number of people on his staff.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:29 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Yea, that's a good reason to let those kids go without. Their parents "probably" would just waste even more money. Good for you.

Such sarcasm is rather uncalled for and rude. For your information, schools do offer free or reduced price lunches paid out of local county budgets. Schools try to ensure that kids get lunch whether they can afford it or not. But there are always exceptions, plus the stigma of getting PB&J or a plain baloney sandwich when everyone else gets pizza.

As for parents wasting money, it happens at all income levels, but many low income folks seem to find money for cigarettes and booze. Then again, most people are irresponsible with money, which is why folks on this board are relatively rare.

Thank you again to everyone for all the great advice.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-17-2016, 04:46 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8tr View Post
...........As for parents wasting money, it happens at all income levels, but many low income folks seem to find money for cigarettes and booze. Then again, most people are irresponsible with money, which is why folks on this board are relatively rare. ............
I'm proud of you for not feeding the children of those " low income folks (who) seem to find money for cigarettes and booze". They will grow up to be better adults as a result.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:48 PM   #27

Let's keep it friendly, eh
Old 05-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
My spouse's church kept wanting to build bigger buildings.

We decided that feeding the hungry in our own city was more important than building a bigger and better church building, the Pastor's ego, and the number of people on his staff.
Amen.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:16 PM   #29

Everything is finally coming together

Giving money away is illogical and not every penny is used to good effect in the nonprofit sector, which, by definition, exists to innovate to address hard problems that the market often has not and it, therefore, lacks the disciplines of the profit motive found in the for-profit sector. It still does a lot of good and most of us wouldn't want to live in a country where only government addressed all market externalities. Further, a lot of people above, including me, find a lot of joy in giving. Personally, any dollar I've ever given away has quite literally been returned to my financial bottom line, often with tremendous interest. One time in college I gave $5 to something then found a $10 bill on the way home. If I give anonymously, the effect is even greater. It sounds spooky and I have no way to prove it, but that has been my experience. Maybe the OP owes it to himself as part of his personal development quest to experiment with making a significant gift to further something he cares about and then test the results in happiness level and even personal financial return. If it fails to deliver for him, meh, he's out a few bucks and can go do something else with the rest of his money, find happiness another way, and not worry about what others think or ask him to do.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:30 PM   #30

For people that worry about the poor people and/or charities taking advantage of the charitable dollars... then give your time. There are endless good causes that need people-power. The feeling one gets can be truly a blessing... that is, for the giver of the time.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:01 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
For people that worry about the poor people and/or charities taking advantage of the charitable dollars... then give your time. There are endless good causes that need people-power. The feeling one gets can be truly a blessing... that is, for the giver of the time.
True, but they also need money. I'm not saying time isn't important, it is. But no organization runs on time only. But it is a good choice for many.

As for time, or blood... I stopped giving blood to MegaNonProfit a while ago and give to a small local bank now. Ultimately, my choice to not feed the CEO salary of $562k, because even though it is only blood, it ultimately feeds her pay.

My choice. Of course, one could say a MegaNonProfit needs 0.5 Mega pay in order to compete with MegaCorps. Whatever...
Old 05-18-2016, 10:12 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

As explained earlier, I gave to orphanages run by Buddhist monks and Catholic nuns in 3rd world countries. They devote their life to it, but need money to buy food.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
True, but they also need money. I'm not saying time isn't important, it is. But no organization runs on time only. But it is a good choice for many.
For sure. My point is people should not use the administrative costs of a non profit as an excuse to not donate because most all of us can give some amount of time. Also, the reality is that even non profits with high admin costs still do some good with the dollars!
Old 05-18-2016, 10:32 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
For sure. My point is people should not use the administrative costs of a non profit as an excuse to not donate because most all of us can give some amount of time. Also, the reality is that even non profits with high admin costs still do some good with the dollars!
Most non profits. There are few real stinkers out there that are 'non profit' only in name. I don't think I'd consider giving to any organization with 2 stars or less on charity navigator.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:55 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Only you can answer what's missing, but I don't find donating money to be that rewarding. After all these years stuck behind a desk,I've found I'm happiest when I'm doing something physical, whether it's working on trails, house repair, boat cleaning, or even crocheting blankets to be donated. Some of this is for non profits, some just for me. I've got to have something to do and just writing a check doesn't make me that happy
Old 05-18-2016, 11:03 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Sure. I know people who do both. They fly to these orphanages, spend some time with the wretched little kids, and help the monks or nuns cook a better than average daily meals for them, bring them some toys.

I am not that altruistic, and like to take a more ordinary vacation. I am no Mother Teresa. So, I just send along some money to help out with their projects. Me going there costs a lot in airfare, so that money is better given to the people who are going anyway.

Again, YMMV. People have different reasons.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:46 PM   #37

Wow. Some pretty good comments, and then some completely uncalled for asinine comments...

To the OP, it's your EARNINGS, do with it what you like. I also like the keeping it close to home concept. On a small scale, my DW and I help out family members who perhaps are less fortunate, or yes, in some cases make poor decisions. I think it is more my responsibility to help relatives than someone else's responsibility.

I certainly will not berate you or insult you if you choose not to "help all of the disadvantaged children in the world". Good grief.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:00 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Where is Porky?
Old 05-18-2016, 04:05 PM   #39

Exactly on the Porky thing. This is very disappointing in both tone and language. Not what I have become accustomed to here.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:40 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Oh my.