Join Early Retirement Today

Excise Taxable Distributions at Year End
Old 11-14-2019, 03:41 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Excise Taxable Distributions at Year End

I have to work hard to stay below the ACA maximum income limits each year. Some I-Shares ETF's (including IVV) make a final distribution that doesn't hit my brokerage account until the following year, but shows up on the current year tax forms. I spoke to an I-Shares rep and was told that they were required to distribute all dividend income each year and therefore make this final payment with an ex-date of December 30th or 31st. Last year it put me over the income cliff. Fortunately I could make an IRA contribution that lowered my MAGI back under the cliff.

I have never had any other funds/ETF's that make this very late distribution. Has anyone else had this kind of income distribution? And if so, is it only I-Shares that does this?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2019, 05:26 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes it has happened to me, but I wasn't able to track down the exact transaction. Quite a few of my ETF's have distributions at the very end of December, as does Wasatch Funds and Amana at times. I've had a few times where I actually got the dividend at Fidelity in the first few days of January the next year. Even a Fidelity bond index fund held at E*Trade whose dividend showed up January 4th. Though E*Trade is a little slow and not Fidelity. I always try to keep an eye on the estimated dividends for December.

Currently, I'm trying to sell these nuisances as I spend down my taxable accounts.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:41 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My Dad has a Vanguard bond or MM fund that does this. The distribution actually hits about January 3rd or so, but is included for tax purposes on the previous year's 1099. It bit me the first year I was doing the income taxes related to it, but now I know to account for it.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:01 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are quite a few that can distribute real late in December... like dec 28th or so. Some can 2 or maybe 3 distributions in December. They may not distribute that many times as they may not need to distribute each type of distribution.

Look up your funds distribution schedule and that should give you a better grasp on how many distributions you could have.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is "Excise" in the title a typo, maybe should be "extra", or is that a term I don't understand in this context?

In any case, yeah, that's a problem. I'd try to get rid of that fund if I was trying to be precise with MAGI for a subsidy. All of my mutual funds seem to do their last dividends around the 20th or 21st, which leaves me a week or so to know just how much I can convert.

The hitch I run into is VTIAX (VG Total Intl) only reports to you what you are getting after foreign taxes are paid. But those foreign taxes count towards your taxable income, and the MAGI, and you don't find out how much that is until the 1099 comes out. Too late to do anything if you don't have earned income to make a tIRA contribution. So I have to estimate the extra foreign taxes, and add a little buffer to make sure I don't get it wrong.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:57 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Is "Excise" in the title a typo, maybe should be "extra", or is that a term I don't understand in this context?

In any case, yeah, that's a problem. I'd try to get rid of that fund if I was trying to be precise with MAGI for a subsidy. All of my mutual funds seem to do their last dividends around the 20th or 21st, which leaves me a week or so to know just how much I can convert.

The hitch I run into is VTIAX (VG Total Intl) only reports to you what you are getting after foreign taxes are paid. But those foreign taxes count towards your taxable income, and the MAGI, and you don't find out how much that is until the 1099 comes out. Too late to do anything if you don't have earned income to make a tIRA contribution. So I have to estimate the extra foreign taxes, and add a little buffer to make sure I don't get it wrong.
I agree that foreign taxes cause the same issue so I need to plan for them in a similar fashion.

I-shares actually calls this late dividend something with the word excise in it, don't know why.