Join Early Retirement Today

Exclusive K
Old 11-03-2015, 05:03 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Exclusive K

Who's heard of, or utilized an "Exclusive K" which is a form of a Roth 401K for the self employed. I don't know much about it but on the bottom line it appears similar to a SEP IRA in terms of the percentage amount, either 20 or 25% of your AGI that you can put away. BOTH appear to be tax deferred accounts. I was trying to put more money into my self-employed retirement account besides my SEP but the Exclusive K doesn't appear to foot that bill.

Is my information correct or am I missing something in this? I consulted my CPA and he hadn't heard of an Exclusive K. I received the original information from my financial planner and I Googled it also.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2015, 05:30 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferco View Post
Who's heard of, or utilized an "Exclusive K" which is a form of a Roth 401K for the self employed. I don't know much about it but on the bottom line it appears similar to a SEP IRA in terms of the percentage amount, either 20 or 25% of your AGI that you can put away. BOTH appear to be tax deferred accounts. I was trying to put more money into my self-employed retirement account besides my SEP but the Exclusive K doesn't appear to foot that bill. Is my information correct or am I missing something in this? I consulted my CPA and he hadn't heard of an Exclusive K. I received the original information from my financial planner and I Googled it also.
Are you referring to a Solo 401K? I have had a solo 401K for years as a self employed person. Between the max contribution allowed for individuals and the profit sharing component which is up to 25% of salary, with an annual cap including catch up provisions for those over 55, one can squirrel away up to $53,000 in 2015. This max would include all of your retirement plans e.g. SEP's. I use T Rowe price to administer mine at no cost.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:56 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, a solo 401k is common and very useful. I had one at Fidelity. Very easy to set up and fund. The "exclusive" name is unfamiliar to me, but probably just another term for it.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:25 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Looks like a brand of Solo 401k:

"What sets one plan apart from another are the fees and the products offered within each. For example, Waddell & Reed’s single-participant 401(k) plan, called the Exclusive K, requires no installation or setup fees but does charge an annual $15 custodial fee. “Participants can choose from 24 different mutual funds. You can have 1 fund or 15 funds and can mix and match,” says Deborah Zipp, assistant vice-president of retirement-plan-sales management for Waddell & Reed, a financial services firm based in Shawnee Mission, Kansas. - See more at: http://www.journalofaccountancy.com/issues/2003/mar/thesingleparticipant401k.html#sthash.t9xOnlFP.dpuf "

The Single-Participant 401(k)

I have both a Solo 401k and a Solo Roth 401k. The Roth's are a little harder to find.