Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all the input on current tracking/budgeting software. If we do go the route of Quicken Deluxe, should we wait for 3 months to get the 2014 version?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't heard that the 2014 version will necessarily have any new features. However, if you plan to take advantage of data download (an excellent capability) know that generally it will only work until April of the year four years after the year which is the version for the copy of the software you have. For example, data download no longer works for Quicken 2010. If you buy Quicken 2013, data download will probably end April 2017.

I generally upgrade Quicken every two years, anyway.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I guess it depends on how much in a hurry you are to get moving.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quick update. After reviewing all the suggestions, my wife has decided to use Excel (which she is familiar with) and there is apparently a template on her version of Excel on her PC. She will be handling all the input and I'm sooo grateful. Anyway, today August 1st, we start the tracking. Thanks for all the input.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #45

I have been a Quicken user since the mid-90s and love it (once I can get the darn thing installed). It is great for tracking expenses as long as you keep up and use categories properly.

For portfolio tracking though, I am now enamored with Google Docs Sheets, which has a fantastic function "GoogleFinance" that automagically updates stock and mutual fund prices. And I should mention I learned about that right here at e-r.org

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:20 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
For portfolio tracking though, I am now enamored with Google Docs Sheets, which has a fantastic function "GoogleFinance" that automagically updates stock and mutual fund prices. And I should mention I learned about that right here at e-r.org
Could you please provide a link to that? I couldn't find anything specific that linked spreadsheets with the dedicated portfolio tracking in Google Finance.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Could you please provide a link to that? I couldn't find anything specific that linked spreadsheets with the dedicated portfolio tracking in Google Finance.
Certainly! The only reason I started this is because I was on ChromeOS. Note that this is Google Sheets, part of Google Docs, not the website Google Finance.

The problem is they don't have a whole lot of documentation, but here'e some:

Docs Blog: Tips & Tricks: GoogleFinance in Google spreadsheets

Old 08-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #48

Thanks. Very interesting.

It seems like it is spreadsheet access to the columns that are available on Google Finance itself. However, I noticed it continues the pattern I found on Google Finance, with formulas like this being invalid:

=GoogleFinance("VIIIX", "high52")

I never understood why Google Finance wouldn't provide such information for funds. I could understanding not providing EPS or P/E, but why no beta? why no market cap?
Old 08-03-2013, 06:36 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Thanks. Very interesting.

It seems like it is spreadsheet access to the columns that are available on Google Finance itself. However, I noticed it continues the pattern I found on Google Finance, with formulas like this being invalid:

=GoogleFinance("VIIIX", "high52")

I never understood why Google Finance wouldn't provide such information for funds. I could understanding not providing EPS or P/E, but why no beta? why no market cap?
Well, I never worked for Google but I did send a guy out there. All I care about is portfolio value

Old 08-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm surprised there are so few touting Mint. I'm a die hard Excel user - I love to set up spreadsheets, generate graphs, project growth of accounts, calculate future taxation and spend down rates...

BUT adding every purchase, every income item etc manually would be beyond me.
Mint is a free service. It is very secure (it can only "read" accounts and cannot be used to "pay"). My account queries 4 bank accounts, 5 credit cards, and 7 investment/retirement accounts. Every transaction is downloaded into their database. Those data can easily be exported into an excel file if you so desire (so NO typing required!). I use the budget feature to project costs and try to stay within my preset limits. I admit that a Walmart purchase is categorized as "groceries" in the way I have it set up, but if you are so inclined purchases can be "split" into subcategories. At least 90% of my transactions are automatically categorized correctly. Re-categorizing mislabeled expenses is very easy when it occasionally needs doing. I know that quicken can do all these things, but this is free - I can access the program anywhere I have an internet connection to check a bank balance etc. all with a single logon and password.

I track it daily (did I mention I love data!). Over the last year I've noticed two unauthorized CC purchases so quickly that the credit card companies have been able to stop shipment before they left the store - I know that I would not be liable but I despise CC fraud so I got some satisfaction with that.