Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Expenses, SWR, and Holy Sh&%#t
Old 05-17-2006, 10:48 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - one has to expect a few minor surprises in retirement and adjust accordingly.

Sump pump failed last night after relocating washer/dryer to the basement from upstairs.

Let's see - in the last year: wiped out by Katrina/relocated 1000 North, bought a house/mortgage instead renting(1st preference), bought an SUV with payments, two unexpected deaths(SO and Mom) and remodeling is turning into a self eating watermelon.

Did take a cruise in Feb.

Have yet to gain a mental sense of control over expenses up here - but that will happen.

'Agile, mobile, and hostile' - Bear Bryant.

Holy What! - heh heh heh heh heh - Rock up and party on - have a plan and adjust as reguired. 13 year of ER was different than I originally scoped out - but life happens.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2006, 11:19 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan
This is the heart ache I have with all the retirement calculators. *Hurts because we're ~75% investment property. *Makes the SWR game a little harder.
Just put the real positive cash flow in FIRECalc like you would a pension until you are ready to get out of the real estate business and then add the after tax equity figure to your portfolio (there is also a place to do that in FIRECalc).

Old 05-17-2006, 11:23 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by doushioukanaa
To be more specific, it may make sense to keep the loan if the "spread" between the return you get putting the money to work versus the after tax cost of the loan is high enough *
"The return you get putting the money to work" also needs to be after tax.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:43 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep a lot of people miss that too, and its different for an accumulator than for an ER.

To get the tax break, you first have to withdraw the money from your investments, and pay taxes on that.

Nice if you're getting a deduction on your 33% taxed income while paying 15% capital gains.

Kinda worthless if you're taking a withdrawal as ordinary income to pay the mortgage, that puts you in a higher tax bracket, then you get the tax break to bring the scenario to neutral.

If you're still working, accumulating, and paying a third or more of your income in taxes...then you're already creating the money...deploying it to a mortgage and getting the tax break is a good thing. Makes sense.

Lighting something on fire, then putting it out, and then praising your firefighting skills is an interesting activity...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:44 PM   #45

For the most part I think having a mortgage (or any leverage) in ER is a bad idea. As CFB says, it's not just a matter of subtracting the interest you can get from the interest you pay. You have to look long and hard at how the leverage can bust you when the going gets tough. That's the real cost, and it is steep.

I have a mortgage in ER because I don't consider myself really in ER There is a relatively high likelihood that I'll go back to work full time or part time in a year or two, and the income can then pay the mortgage. If I'm still ER in 2008 when my ARM adjusts up from the 3.75% I'm now paying, I'll probably pay the loan off.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:59 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now
For the most part I think having a mortgage (or any leverage) in ER is a bad idea. As CFB says, it's not just a matter of subtracting the interest you can get from the interest you pay. You have to look long and hard at how the leverage can bust you when the going gets tough. That's the real cost, and it is steep.
My DW pointed out something else: we intend to sock away the prior mtg payments into our savings. However, we now have the ability to skip that for a given time if higher priorities or necessities arise. With the mortgage payment, that was not an option -- it was like paying the rent, or get into a HELOC which defeats the whole pupose. Newfound flexibility.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:02 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Fun with a paid-off house plus hindsight:

Let's suppose that I retired in the year 2000, just in time to enjoy a decline in the S&P 500 from about 1400 down to ~900 by 2003. Very scary, but I'm not worried because (hypothetically) I have a paid off house plus the benefit of hindsight!

In the bleakest days of January 2003, I decide that its time to take action. I take out a $100k mortgage on my house, and go get a part-time job paying $7.50 per hour for 17 hours a week. Meanwhile, I invest my $100k into an S&P500 index fund (valued at 900).

Two years later, Jan 2005, I decide I've had enough of my part-time gig. I sell my S&P 500 index fund (now valued at 1200) and pay off the mortgage. After paying long-term capital gains, I get to keep $31k.

...so I got paid about $17 per hour to work at the quik-e-mart!
Old 05-17-2006, 03:39 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

sorry, slepyhed, I don't see why you would want to add two years at 7-11 to your resume to come out with 31k, when you could sit home and still come out with about 24k.

Only invest 90k of the 100k mortgage in the index fund, and just pay the monthly payments out of the extra 10 grand, plus a little early selling off in the second year.

Get paid $13.57 per hour to not work at the qwik-e-mart!

There's probably some money to be made somewhere selling people on your Hindsight Investing Seminars, as long as you keep that talk about min. wage employment out of it...