Votes: 26 27.7%
  • Never, regardless of my net worth

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • Just before I die, so I can die broke

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Other. Please explain.

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters
We're budgeting over 20K for 2 weeks in Europe on a cruise in June, similar to Grumpy's.
We're taking our kids (1 in college, 1 in high school) because we consider it part of their education. We'd rather take them on a land trip, but frankly this is much easier and we can sample several different countries and then return for a land trip in the future.

It's expensive, but DH and I had kids later in life and we are more than ready to go back to exploring the world. We traveled quite a bit around the world before they were born and really miss it. It will be our last chance for a family trip before older son graduates from college and begins his career.

We've lost parents and close friends in the past couple of years, and this has convinced us that we need to enjoy some of our dreams now, while we can.

$10k for a week......not me! Heck, this year the 2 of us vacationed for about six weeks total ( 2 - 2-weekers, and several shorter ones) and spent less than $10k total!!! We stay at nice, clean (cheap) hotels, since we are basically in our room only at night to sleep!

We're either walking the beach, exploring the area from a "local's" point of view...finding interesting out of the way, off the beaten path places to eat/shop/etc. We played in 7 of our National Parks this fall!!! Just spent this past extended weekend in Nashville enjoying the entertainment, and exploring some.

Personally...and this is just me....I would rather be hanging out in Mallory Square in Key West watching the sun set, than going to some 'exotic' locale. I've travelled some overseas, but much prefer to travel here in the States....just my pref! :)

I guess you could say that I'm just a laid back beach bum!!! :D

CT - It looks like you went on vacation with Thurston J. Howell III and wife! (remember Gilligan's Island?)

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Audrey

We've spent that much on a week when we were both working with limited vacation time. Money can often be traded for time if you are in a hurry. Since retiring, we tend to spend less on equivalent travel to that we did in our working days. But if it took $10K to do something we wanted to do, then I wouldn't hesitate.

DW and I would probably not spend that much on Fiji (no interest). On the other hand, a lot of people would probably be willing to spend $10K not to do the things we enjoy. :) :) :)

We are going to the Caribbean for 3 weeks in January. The house we are renting is like $3100 per week + 8% Tax. I figure by the time you do the food, pay our nanny, plane tickets, etc. this trip will be in the $20K range.

Our honeymoon in Maui was 11 days and had a cost of about $7K.

I vacationed in Nicaragua for 3 weeks for about $850 total. I slept on the beach (free). I ate coconuts (free) and peanut butter (cheap). Sometimes I would stop and eat lunch or dinner for $1 at a local restaurant. Most of the money went for airfare, hotels on the few days I needed them, surf board rentals, and transportation. It was a great trip and I remember thinking that the tourists staying at the 5-star places were missing out on the real country. Maybe when I get older I will lose my taste for coconuts and peanut butter.

I spent $750 on 6 weeks traveling in mexico (including transportation to/from North Carolina to Mexico and buying a lunchbox full of silver items). I told my wife that if do anything like that, we'll stay in the $20/night hotels instead of the $5-10/night hotels! I am a cheap bastard though. :D

Interesting. Tell me more about your Mexico trip. When, where, how many in your party, etc... I'm about to leave for Mexico for a month long trip myself.

As for my most expensive vacation so far: $5,000 for a 10 days ski trip for my family of 4. $500/day is my upper limit unless I win the lottery, but that would never happen because I don't buy lottery ticket ::)

macdaddy said:
Maybe when I get older I will lose my taste for coconuts and peanut butter.

Maybe, maybe not. But you will lose your taste for doing the coconut and peanut butter thing exclusively! ;)

Sam said:
Interesting. Tell me more about your Mexico trip. When, where, how many in your party, etc... I'm about to leave for Mexico for a month long trip myself.

Sam, where are you going in Mexico?

I found a few posts I wrote earlier about the topic. If you want to peruse my other posts about mexico, click on "search" at the top of the page, the "advanced search", then search on mexico and put "justin" in as the user. Looks like 10-20 posts by me.

Here's what I wrote in an earlier post (it's long):

http://early-retirement.org/forums/index.php?topic=4975.msg87732#msg87732

"It was like the typical "backpacking through Europe trip that college grads do after graduation (except I did it over the summer while still an undergrad). We mostly traveled by bus for long distances (including 1600 miles from Raleigh NC to Laredo, TX on Greyhound - it as an "experience"). We crossed the border on foot into Nuevo Laredo, hopped a bus to Northern Mexico (Monterrey), went to Tampico on the gulf coast, then traveled down the gulf coast, stopping occasionally. We ended up in Veracruz, MX for a week (nice beaches and Caribbean atmosphere, and summer is the off-season apparently). From there we went to Jalapa (namesake of the jalapeno pepper, nice quaint college town, bohemian, very hilly, chilly at times due to high altitude). Then to Puebla for a while, then on to Mexico City (Distrito Federal or D.F. to locals) for about 10 days. Then we went to Cuernavaca for a week where I had lived for 6 weeks the previous summer for study abroad. Met up with the host family I stayed with and knocked back a few 4 for 1 coronas at the town square. Bumped in to some buddies at the bar. Took two side trips at this point to show my wife (gf at the time) some neat spots I went to while in Mexico a year prior to our vacation. The first was Tepoztlán (big pyramid after a 1000' almost vertical hike, lots of new-agey mystical powers there supposedly - think Taos, NM). The second side trip was to Taxco (old silver mining town - lots of cheap silver) I think for the day. After that, we went on the long bus ride back to Monterrey where we stayed for another 4-5 days or so to recuperate (I got pretty sick) before the long bus ride back to Raleigh.

I think we stopped at a few other places along the way that we decided didn't look too pretty, so we continued on, and as a result, I've forgotten their names. We made a general schedule of where we'd go before we left, but it changed from day to day depending on how cool a city was, or if we needed more time. We were exhausted at the end of the trip and decided to skip Queretaro and another city and just relax in a sweet little hotel in Monterrey. The route was a big loop around the northern, eastern and central parts of Mexico. We walked a lot, especially once we dumped our luggage off at the hotel. But 1-2 miles with luggage was pretty much the norm. We picked hotels mainly based on price, but tried to get in the center of the action.

Great trip overall, but we did get homesick at points due to culture shock. Very relaxing though. None of the typical one week vacation crap of getting up at 6:00 am every day to cram as much activity into your day as possible. We'd wake up at 9 or 10 or whenever the maid started knocking to clean the room. Go out for a pastry at the bakery or pick up something at a street vendor or the local market. Go check out something on our touristy list. Stroll through the parks, sit and watch people, lots of amazing museums and artwork (loved the murals). Went to the National Ballet. It was a very amazing trip that changed my life I'd say. I hope to do a similar trip again sometime in the near (and far) future.

Here's another excerpt from an earlier post of mine on this topic:

"My last vacation to Mexico was 6 weeks. My wife and I spent $1400 total. This was in 2000. This amount included everything we spent from when we left North Carolina till we returned (from buying souvenirs (lots of silver!) to the transportation to/from Mexico). We were very stingy with money. We didn't have to pay for health insurance, but I think we had to buy some pharmaceuticals. This works out to about $1000 a month. We stayed in crappy hotels frequently. We ate out a lot, went to some touristy things (museums, attractions, etc), travelled extensively by first class bus (they have cafes on those buses!!!). We also spent a lot of time relaxing and buying food at the grocery store/bakery. Getting by on $1000 a month in Mexico would be possible, but it would be lower class by our US standards. Double that amount, and you could have middle class probably. For $3000-4000/month, you could live the high life (within limits). Take a month off and rent a place down there to see for yourself."

justin said:
Sam, where are you going in Mexico?

Justin,
Thanks for the response.

Nowhere and everywhere. It will be a month long road trip with no fixed destination. Most likely, a clockwise trip around Mexico starting in at the Brownville border and ending at the San Diego border.

I tried it once 2 years ago, and was about 150km from Mexcico City when I got an emergency phone call from home. I had to abort the trip after only 7 days. Hopefully, I will complete it this time.

One question: How was your Spanish at that time? Now? I didn't and still don't speak a word, but do a pretty good job guessing the writing (french background). With the help of a dictionary, I was able to communicate with a hotel worker that all I wanted was a 10 min shower and not a room. It took about 30 minutes, but I did it and it cost us $2USD :)

Sam said:
One question: How was your Spanish at that time? Now? I didn't and still don't speak a word, but do a pretty good job guessing the writing (french background). With the help of a dictionary, I was able to communicate with a hotel worker that all I wanted was a 10 min shower and not a room. It took about 30 minutes, but I did it and it cost us $2USD :)

I was nearly fluent at the time, and my wife (at the time my girlfriend) was conversant. Now, I'm probably somewhere between fluent and intermediate since I'm out of practice. We were able to save a lot of money and see and do things that non-fluent speakers couldn't have done as easily.

10 minute shower? Ducha. Quiero diez minutos solamente. Cuanto cuesta?

That is Jimmy Carter on the Magazine Cover, smiling after catching his Sea Run Brown Trout on the same Argentine River.

We saw pics and heard stories about Jimmy Carter in Tanzania when we went - he stayed in the same lodge we did (con-SID-erably less posh than yours), and climbed the mountain too.

That guy gets AROUND!

Seriously, if there's a guy who knows how to live right, I think it's Jimmy -- he's got spirituality, family, good friends -- he travels, is widely read, writes books himself and remains involved in causes which are important to him.

We stayed at a lodge near Crater Lake in Oregon that he had stayed at too. He DOES get around!

justin said:
I was nearly fluent at the time, and my wife (at the time my girlfriend) was conversant. Now, I'm probably somewhere between fluent and intermediate since I'm out of practice. We were able to save a lot of money and see and do things that non-fluent speakers couldn't have done as easily.

10 minute shower? Ducha. Quiero diez minutos solamente. Cuanto cuesta?

Good for you! I need to go beyond the the basic Hello, Thank you, and How Much.

Here's Google's translation: Skillful. I only want ten minutes. Whichever hill? :LOL: :LOL:

I'm pretty cheap, but we do travel a lot so that's how I justify it. I have spent money on things that I can are unique experiences. This past summer, DW and I spent $270/per person for a 2 hour ballon ride, but we figured it's one of the best places in the world to go ballooning (Cappadocia) and it's was with one of best ballonists in the world. VERY nice experience too.

I find that airfares are by far the most expensive part of our travel, even on the trips that are 3 weeks or longer. We usually stay at mid-ranges places and eat local food where ever we go, so those costs are quite minimal. Admittedly, this is mostly 2nd-world or 3rd-world travel. On average, we tend to spend about $1000-$1500/week for the both of us including airfares.

>>On average, we tend to spend about $1000-$1500/week for the both of us including airfares.

Without wishing away the time with our children when they are small, I do look forward to the day when I can buy just two airline tickets, rent a small car and stay in a hotel room (instead of a big house) when the children are all old enough to leave alone and thus travel more frequently, for less money and more spur-of-the-moment.

Travelling with a family of 6 (with all kids under 10) is a major undertaking.... :)

Got to treat yourself sometime. If you want it then pay the freight - regardless of the cost. That is what FI is all about in my opinion. :D

I said no way, it's not the money, it's the time. One week is too short a period for that kind of outlay. I fully intend to spend those kind of dollars on a 1-2 month trip to Europe in a few years, but we're certainly planning on a somewhat lower daily average expenditure. 8)

Back
Top Bottom