Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-11-2017, 08:24 AM   #141
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I can't really tell from your post, were you satisfied with the way this turned out? With the "credit" your DS was basically forced to get a vehicle from the original dealer, which didn't give you a lot of options. Now that it's been a couple of days would you have done anything differently? Is seems like the dealer got a 6000 car which they will put in maybe 2-2500 cost into and then resell, saying it has a "new" engine in it. Were you able to estimate how much of the 3000 credit actually lowered the cost of the new car?
I don't really know if I would call it "satisfied". Basically dealership had the most weight. I could have tried various options, lawsuit, bad press, screaming bloody murder. all were less attractive options.

yes I was able to make sure how much the new car cost as I kept all the transactions separate. I actually had more wiggle room on the new car as google is my friend and the cost of the car was easy information to get and then made sure all the incentives were taken off first than the credit.

would I have done anything different now that's a bit trickier to say. I think I may have had ti towed to a private mechanic first. the reason we took it to the dealer was primarily because we had just purchased it and I foolishly thought they would repair it with minimal charge but then again, I thought it was going to be some thing simple.
We had a few major goals.
1) try to get as much as possible for the old beater knowing that technically the dealer could have said "tough coconuts toots"
2) try and get the best deal on whatever car we walked out with.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2017, 08:31 AM   #142
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Sounded to me like he got a 2016 holdover.

exactly what it was
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
bclover,

Sounds like you are satisfied (as much as can be) with the "resolution". That's the important thing.

The minion has a nice, caring mom .
I'm thinking about tatooing that on his forehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Not clear to me either. Also not clear is the $3,000 "credit IF we rolled it into another car.".

If I followed, this was a $6,000 car that might need ~ $3,000 of repairs. At that point, it would be worth $6,000 again (or maybe more, with a 'new/rebuilt' engine)? So that means invest $3,000 and you have $6,000. So did they also give you something for the un-repaired car, plus the $3,000 credit?

-ERD50
They gave me 3000 credit for the old car
they gave me $4500.00 additional for dealer incentives.

the $3500 engine would not have been new or rebuilt it would have been a salvage engine. the cost for a new engine would have been 6K according to the mechanic.

Minion told me that I had it wrong the warranty is 3 year/36000 basic and 5 year on the powertrain

Old 09-11-2017, 08:31 AM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
I don't really know if I would call it "satisfied". Basically dealership had the most weight. I could have tried various options, lawsuit, bad press, screaming bloody murder. all were less attractive options.

yes I was able to make sure how much the new car cost as I kept all the transactions separate. I actually had more wiggle room on the new car as google is my friend and the cost of the car was easy information to get and then made sure all the incentives were taken off first than the credit.

would I have done anything different now that's a bit trickier to say.
We had a few major goals.
1) try to get as much as possible for the old beater knowing that technically the dealer could have said "tough coconuts toots"
2) try and get the best deal on whatever car we walked out with.
Sounds like you were prepared and paid attention, so I'd just put the whole thing behind me, if I was you.. will your DS drives this one till it drops maybe he wants additional extended warranty protection..
Old 09-11-2017, 08:53 AM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

That fact that you were made whole in the end is important. While maybe not what you had hoped for, at least you are done and can move forward. DS (a.k.a. minion) must have learned something along this short ride as he knew the finer details about the warranty on the new car. That is a life lesson that you cannot put a dollar value on.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:40 AM   #145
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

To me it seems they made a decent offer to you.... both of you 'won'...

If you would have pushed, I am pretty sure you would have lost... it was and 'as is' sale... even if it blew up while driving off the lot you had no leg to stand on...

Sounds like DS got a 'new' car that was a 2016... not the worst thing to have... they got rid of it which is what they wanted..

You also seem to have gotten a good price for it... a win on your side...
Old 09-11-2017, 10:05 AM   #146

sounds like you got a stand up dealer!

that sentra should last "forever" just make sure to check the oil
Old 09-11-2017, 10:19 AM   #147

Agree with Texas Proud... I think it was fair resolution. Big Kudos to you for guiding Minion without getting too involved. Since he is on your insurance (and has leadfoot tendencies) you may want to consider the driving monitor that some insurance companies offer. It's a simple plug in device that monitors driving (mostly hard acceleration and braking). It was a six month evaluation for DD and it shows status every week. This could backfire, maybe.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:50 PM   #148

Advice from my Dear Old Dad:

If you got what your want for a price you were willing to pay, then you got a good deal. It does not matter what others think or what kind of a deal they said they got.

Congratulations glad it worked out. The car will most likely outlive him!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:49 PM   #149

OP, Glad this thing ended as it did, seems like the best resolution for a sticky problem.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:18 PM   #150

I think this was fair. Best case for you would have them saying "Oops, our bad, we will put in the used engine for free", but with only a 1 year warranty on an old car, who knows what might be next. Best case for them would have them saying "sorry, it is out of warranty, install the engine or get lost", it would cost them nothing but them likely lots of bad publicity. The solution seems like a good balance. As long as minion takes care of the car he should have minimal maintenance expenses for at least 3 years (and hopefully beyond that).