Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There is no way to be sure. If you get to see the car before they remove the engine, you look for body damage in the rear. A car that has had no accident damage is iffy IMO. You don't always know the reason the engine is there. Sometimes they just pull he engines and put them on the rack. Some will do an out-of car power up. Regardless, the yards will usually warrant the engine but not the labor for a short period of time, just in case you get a bad one. Otherwise, you might have to pay twice for your local mechanic to put a 2nd engine in.

If the yard will install and warrant the engine for 30 days, then they should be on the hook for any extra labor if the engine is bad.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2017, 12:03 PM   #122

Update:

Spoke with dealership mechanic, Mike. Engine would be a used engine from a salvage yard. rebuilt nissan engine he said would run around 6K.

Evidently Mike passed on the situation to dealership management because I then got a call from "David" who is like a customer liaison. He said he would like to handle the case. Meet with him on Saturday, he asked could he have some time to try and work out a solution. ?
I actually do have a private mechanic who owns his own shop and used to work on our cars when my husband was alive and really took care of all of them. I'm going to call him and ask his opinion on the situation and see what he says.

I don't think I'm going to a salvage yard/junk yard myself guys. thank you for the suggestion but seriously I wouldn't know a decent engine if it sat on my face and wiggled. so for all I know they would sell me some magic beans.

Dave, did ask if I was willing to get a newer car if he could work something out. I said that was an option.

I will say that the dealer at least so far seems willing to work so they won't have an unhappy customer. I'll take it for now.

Again, thank you for your suggestions. I cannot begin to tell you how much it helps. really, just voicing my frustration is helpful
Old 09-07-2017, 12:23 PM   #123
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
Update:

Spoke with dealership mechanic, Mike. Engine would be a used engine from a salvage yard. rebuilt nissan engine he said would run around 6K.

Evidently Mike passed on the situation to dealership management because I then got a call from "David" who is like a customer liaison. He said he would like to handle the case. Meet with him on Saturday, he asked could he have some time to try and work out a solution. ?
I actually do have a private mechanic who owns his own shop and used to work on our cars when my husband was alive and really took care of all of them. I'm going to call him and ask his opinion on the situation and see what he says.

I don't think I'm going to a salvage yard/junk yard myself guys. thank you for the suggestion but seriously I wouldn't know a decent engine if it sat on my face and wiggled. so for all I know they would sell me some magic beans.

Dave, did ask if I was willing to get a newer car if he could work something out. I said that was an option.

I will say that the dealer at least so far seems willing to work so they won't have an unhappy customer. I'll take it for now.

Again, thank you for your suggestions. I cannot begin to tell you how much it helps. really, just voicing my frustration is helpful
I think that is a very good approach. Check with your previous mechanic and see what he would do in this situation ... It does sound like the dealership is willing to work something out. Remember though, they have a natural inclination to want to make money on every sale - so don't let them take advantage of you.

Michael
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:06 PM   #124

Hi,

This was a Nissan from a Nissan dealership and the time and mileage were so close to the warranty period (from what I can tell) - and the issue was so catastrophic - and unusual (regardless of what this particular engine does, pistons simply don't break nor does any other common portion of the internals - rods, etc).

I would meet with them, be nice, insist on the return of all the money paid for the car - insist. If I got nowhere, I would let them know it was going to go to court. Then I would follow-through and work the internet and locals to make sure it was public - let them know all this in advance.

Pistons and internals don't break unless it was a terrible engine - why should YOU eat it?
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:32 PM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Update:

A good idea talking to your private mechanic who owns his own shop to see what he says.

I have a brother who he and is DW bought a used car that had lots of issues right after purchase and they ended up bringing back to the dealer and ended up getting another car. They worked something out as I don't think they paid anything to have that junky car fixed but instead bought another used from that dealer. A "no harm, no foul" purchase, I guess.

Hope when you decide what action to take, and hopefully successful one for you and DS, that you keep us informed. As, you know, we will inquire . Good luck.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:39 PM   #126
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
A good idea talking to your private mechanic who owns his own shop to see what he says.
+1

Unless I missed something, the dealer is offering to install a used engine from a salvage yard for $3,500. This seems steep to me and I'd definitely discuss the price with your mechanic to see what he would charge to do the same thing.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #127

Found elsewhere, the book hours to remove and replace an 07 Altima engine is R&R is 11.6 hours. Guessing $140/ hr (it varies widely around the USA) would take the labor alone to $1624. A used engine online can be found for anywhere between 650 to over 2K depending on miles and greed. one place had a 59K engine for 966 with a 1 yr warranty
Figuring another 500 for incidentals (fluids, belts, filters etc.) puts the dealer's cost at right around 3100.
Check Here
Assuming a known mechanic could do it for ~100/hr, that would put his cost around $2626.

I'm just posting this for the OP's reference.

I think If you can get the dealer to install a 1 yr warranted (including labor), used engine in for anything <$2,500 would be a very good compromise. Anything better than that would be better of course. I'd start with 0 but wouldn't expect that to really happen. Getting the dealer to take it back in its present condition as a trade and give you a like vehicle may come with its own possible issues. It will certainly come with the cost of a new title, change of plates etc. Sometimes it is "Better the devil you know....." IMO. If the dealer can't / won't work with you to that end, maybe your local mechanic will come back with something better. Don't let the dealer know you are looking at private mechanics. He may just let you go to them!
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:32 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Then I would give my child the $3500. Tell him, OK Christmas came early this year. He sounds like a wonderful son, working a job and doing the right thing.
Softie cop!

I totally agree though
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:48 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
I think If you can get the dealer to install a 1 yr warranted (including labor), used engine in for anything <$2,500 would be a very good compromise.
I was thinking that too........

Of course getting all your money back or getting a new (to you) engine with substantial warranty for free would be the superior deal and worth asking for, but it's not likely to happen.

If I wound up with the salvaged engine and a TWO year / 24k warranty, I'd go for that. Even an 18 month / 18k warranty....... 12 months / 12k as a last ditch position.

I guess some of it depends on how much OP's DS liked that particular car.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:31 AM   #130

UPDATE

Went to car dealership last Saturday... LOOOONG day jeez.

Anyhoo,

manager offered to credit us 3000 bucks IF we rolled it into another car. We were free to take it and go. My private mechanic questimated that it would cost about 2000 to 2500 for him to drop a salvaged engine into it. he didn't have the car and I really didn't want to get it towed to him.

We took the 3K and purchased a 2016 nissan sentra. dealer gave us another 2K in incentives that evidently was a promotion on sentras. bumper to bumper warranty on car for 50000 miles or 3 years whatever comes first.

a few interesting lessons learned.

1) Evidently in New Jersey, the default on 10 year old cars with more than 100K miles is "as is". so unless a dealer says specifically there is a warranty, there is not. I thought it was the other way around (dealer must say "as is") . this was my fault for assuming.

2) Minion does have a car note. 275 bucks a month which he must pay, I was feeling bad about that but then thought maybe it was time to cut the "apron" strings. The boy is graduating without student loans so maybe it's time to stop trying to make the world "perfect" for them. aaah the joys of parenthood.

3) He's still on my insurance policy and interestingly enough my premium will only go up 200 bucks a year. the minion has a penchant for being "lead foooted" so he did get the riot act for that.

Thanks again all, lol and believe me we will be a bit more diligent with maintenance minion number 2 is getting his 10 year old Honda over to the mechanic for a check this week.

and because God has a sense of humor, the 'change oil" notification popped up on the Infiniti Sunday.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:35 AM   #131
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
bumper to bumper warranty on car for 5000 miles or 3 years whatever comes first.
I hope this is a typo...
Old 09-11-2017, 05:46 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I hope this is a typo...
and this is what happens when you type without your first morning joe.

50,000 miles. Ok so I'm going to ask what is probably a stupid question. Is there a difference between the powertrain and the engine. or is the engine considered part of the powertrain?

Thanks REwahoo
Old 09-11-2017, 06:00 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

I can't really tell from your post, were you satisfied with the way this turned out? With the "credit" your DS was basically forced to get a vehicle from the original dealer, which didn't give you a lot of options. Now that it's been a couple of days would you have done anything differently? Is seems like the dealer got a 6000 car which they will put in maybe 2-2500 cost into and then resell, saying it has a "new" engine in it. Were you able to estimate how much of the 3000 credit actually lowered the cost of the new car?
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:09 AM   #134
Give me a forum ...

The engine is part of the powertrain. It would have been covered on your 2007 warranty but you had aged out as the powertrain warranty is only 60 months/60,000 miles.

https://owners.nissanusa.com/content...2007_N_WIB.pdf

Quote:
POWERTRAIN COVERAGE
• The Powertrain coverage period is 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.
• This warranty covers any repairs needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship.
• Powertrain coverage applies to components listed below, supplied by Nissan except for those items listed under the caption “WHAT IS NOT COVERED”.

ENGINE
Cylinder heads and block and all internal parts, rocker covers and oil pan, valve train and front cover, timing chain and tensioner, oil pump, water pump and fuel pump, fuel injectors, intake and exhaust manifolds and supercharger,
flywheel, seals, and gaskets.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:13 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
The engine is part of the powertrain. It would have been covered on your 2007 warranty but you had aged out as the powertrain warranty is only 60 months/60,000 miles.

https://owners.nissanusa.com/content...2007_N_WIB.pdf
It sounds as if he got a lightly used car and a used car warranty. Of course Murphy's law now that he has a warranty he probably won't need to use it.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:18 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Sounded to me like he got a 2016 holdover.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:39 AM   #137
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like a nice car and a PITA experience to go through but look ahead, it's over and this car should last a long time.

Family members actually used to pay a family friend who was a mechanic to find their cars at the auctions--since you're lucky enough to know someone, maybe you could try something like that for your future car needs?
Old 09-11-2017, 06:50 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

bclover,

Sounds like you are satisfied (as much as can be) with the "resolution". That's the important thing.

The minion has a nice, caring mom .
Old 09-11-2017, 06:51 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Sounded to me like he got a 2016 holdover.
the 50K or 3 years isn't the default for a new car...I wasn't clear if it was new or used.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:20 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
the 50K or 3 years isn't the default for a new car...I wasn't clear if it was new or used.
Not clear to me either. Also not clear is the $3,000 "credit IF we rolled it into another car.".

If I followed, this was a $6,000 car that might need ~ $3,000 of repairs. At that point, it would be worth $6,000 again (or maybe more, with a 'new/rebuilt' engine)? So that means invest $3,000 and you have $6,000. So did they also give you something for the un-repaired car, plus the $3,000 credit?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote