extra job?

palomalou

Recycles dryer sheets
I've been weighing accepting a pt job that would take me about 9 hours weekly. It would pay 12-15K after taxes, about 1% of the nestegg. I plan to retire in 2013 or 2014. So is it worth it? I feel it is, spouse not so much.

These things usually have a cost. What would the impact be on your life?

Depending on your tax bracket that would equate to $30-$40 dollars an hour (9*52weeks = 468 hours a year)

$20k (b4 tax) divided by 468hrs = +$42/hr

That's a great parttime rate income in my book ---

I toy with the idea of finding more work. I always find cutting expenses is easier.

If it's work you'd enjoy doing, why not? If it's more for the money, you'll have to decide if the "sh*# to pay ratio" is acceptable, as a former boss used to phrase it...

You'll see in my avatar that I follow that principle. I essentially work two full time jobs now...one at MegaCorp and one as a Landlord (I do most of the fix-up work myself...so at 5 pm I go to the rental and work until about 10 pm 3-4 nights a week). Yes, it means little time for fun, but it's very short term...I committed to get 3 rentals off the ground this way...in one year. I'm 2/3 of the way there. After the third one is rented, it's time to FIRE. :dance:

Back
Top Bottom