Extra Social Security Earnings for Military Service

Brett_Cameron

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just saw this:
Retirement Planner: Special Extra Earnings for Military Service

If your active military service occurred

From 1957 through 1967, we will add the extra credits to your record when you apply for Social Security benefits.
From 1968 through 2001, you do not need to do anything to receive these extra credits. The credits were automatically added to your record.
After 2001, there are no special extra earnings credits for military service.
Note: In January 2002, Public Law 107-117, the Defense Appropriations Act, stopped the special extra earnings that have been credited to military service personnel. Military service in calendar year 2002 and future years no longer qualifies for these special extra earnings credits

Does anyone know if these credits are already reflected in your Social Security Benefits estimate that SS provides?

Mine were and I think that is typical. Not hard for the SS Administration to note you received a military paycheck for some period of time.

I'm still drawing off of DW's SS as spouse. I am prepared to provide SS with a certified copy of my DD214 when I file for mine in a year or so. I was under the impression that you had to provide them with a certified copy of the DD214 when filing for SS in order to get the additional credits.

I'm still drawing off of DW's SS as spouse. I am prepared to provide SS with a certified copy of my DD214 when I file for mine in a year or so. I was under the impression that you had to provide them with a certified copy of the DD214 when filing for SS in order to get the additional credits.
A couple of guys I know who were vets weren't asked for their DD214's when they applied for benefits. I was asked for a copy and provided it but it made no difference in my SS benefits vs. what had been estimated. Since my SS benefit estimates were already showing my SS earnings during the years I was in the military I didn't expect to see any difference.

Not sure why they wanted to see my DD214 - maybe to verify I actually served?

I applied for SS online. They did not want a copy of my DD214. SS was withdrawn from my pay while I was in the military.

Recently, I obtained a certified copy of my DD214 from the State Veteran's Affairs Board (I wondered what they did) so that I could get a veteran's driver's license.

And another thing. I paid SS for 45 consecutive years. Many years I paid the maximum amount. It was like getting a raise when they stopped withdrawing SS for the year. So, the $78 per month that I earned in the military did not affect my SS benefit very much.

Last edited:
When I went in for my SS they DID NOT have the proper info on my military service. Being neurotic I had prepared a detailed breakdown of my years of substantial SS earnings (I'm hit with the Windfall Elimination Provision situation). Gave me an added year over what they had for me.

If you are going in for SS then I think it prudent you prepare in advance with an easy to read breakdown of your earnings. Just show it to the intake person and they'll update the info on the spot.

Mickeyd, from TxDPS - Veteran Services

DPS offers a VETERAN designation printed on the face of driver licenses for qualifying veterans. The designation is not available for ID cards at this time. Eligibility
To be eligible for the veteran designation, an individual must be a veteran who was honorably discharged.
For this purpose, a veteran is someone who served in the:

• U.S. Army
  • Navy
  • Air Force
  • Coast Guard or Marine Corps
  • Texas National Guard (but not Texas State Guard), including the Texas Army and Air National Guard
Verification of Veteran and Discharge Status
Veterans must visit a driver license office and present their DD-214, DD-215, NGB-22, or U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs disability letter. The document can be a copy or an original, but it must show that the veteran received an honorable discharge or a general discharge (under honorable conditions).
I'm going to take my DD214 with me when I renew.

A couple of guys I know who were vets weren't asked for their DD214's when they applied for benefits. I was asked for a copy and provided it but it made no difference in my SS benefits

This SS Pub says on pge 2, left side~ "When you apply for SS benefits, you will be asked for proof of your militray service (DD214)...

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10017.pdf

Experience is usually the best teacher, so I guess that they no longer require it regardless what the regs (pub) say.

Last edited:
Mickeyd, from TxDPS - Veteran Services

I'm going to take my DD214 with me when I renew.

Interesting. Thanks REWahoo. I still do not understand the benefit to me to have this designation on my TDL especially since they have already issued me PH plates for my cars. I agree with your idea of taking the DD214 along no matter what the situation is.

Last edited:
Interesting. Thanks REWahoo. I still do not understand the benefit to me to have this designation on my TDL especially since they have alreday issued me PH plates for my cars. I agree with your idea of taling the DD214 along no matter what the situation is.
For non-retired (from the military) vets like me with no other way to prove our military service, the designation on a TDL will make getting the vet discount at Lowes and HD a lot easier...:)

I have not filed for SS yet, but this came to my attention when I reviewed my earnings record. IIRC, whether or not they recorded you automatically depends on your dates of service. They started some time in the Vietnam Era. As I recall, they have my record.

However, I will take my DD214 with me when I register anyway.

Thanks for the reminder:).

Yes, the link in the OP has this information:
If your active military service occurred

From 1957 through 1967, we will add the extra credits to your record when you apply for Social Security benefits.
From 1968 through 2001, you do not need to do anything to receive these extra credits. The credits were automatically added to your record.
After 2001, there are no special extra earnings credits for military service.

My service was from 68 to 89, and when I checked it, they had indeed automatically taken care of it, just as it says on their website.

Back
Top Bottom