Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-17-2008, 12:11 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I guess I didn't know you could have 3 mortgages....and I wonder why CC companies keep giving her more credit...she'll never stop until somebody shuts her off.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #22

That's what I was wondering - who are the morons making the loans?

This sounds like the "Fred & Francine" couple we know. They've had a great time the last 20 years but the next 20 look kind of bleak since they're now $700k in debt.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I guess I didn't know you could have 3 mortgages....and I wonder why CC companies keep giving her more credit...she'll never stop until somebody shuts her off.
Well, duh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner View Post
I have to believe that the woman was a paid actor, playing the part of what was scripted for her.
It is, after all, television. (where even "news" programs -- or segments -- are quite often works of fiction.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:47 PM   #24

What I figured (could be wrong) while watching her was that she has built her self- worth (and somehow raised her above what she felt about herself and above other people) by surrounding herself with pretty expensive things. Giving up these things are out of the question since her whole self-image and self-worth is wrapped up in it. I don't think this is that uncommon although people usually aren't as delusional as her.

One thing I was glad to hear Suze say was that they couldn't file for bankruptcy since they(her husband) made too much money.

tmm
Old 11-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #25

I saw the show too, and I know several people exactly like her,although their $$$ delusions are not on such a grand scale. But they are completely out of touch financially, and, coincidentally?, they now live or were from California. I'm afraid that the movie biz really sets a high standard in California. It's a weird world out there.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:32 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
What I figured (could be wrong) while watching her was that she has built her self- worth (and somehow raised her above what she felt about herself and above other people) by surrounding herself with pretty expensive things. Giving up these things are out of the question since her whole self-image and self-worth is wrapped up in it. I don't think this is that uncommon although people usually aren't as delusional as her.
Hard to tell whether we're talking about the caller... or about Suze...

Hey, maybe she could advertise cars for GM again and solve at least two economic problems with one fell swoop?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Dang I'm sorry I missed this one. Every time I tune in the highlight is the segment where some "girlfriend" gets told no she can't take that cruise.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #28

Quote:
I don't think this is that uncommon although people usually aren't as delusional as her.
Quote:
Hard to tell whether we're talking about the caller... or about Suze...
Haha. Suze may be delusional to some extent (but aren't we all ), but Suze has a brain. I think the caller has lost all her reasoning ability.

tmm
Old 11-17-2008, 11:56 PM   #29

Today at lunch I saw a commercial for some debt consolidation or counseling service called debt.com or something similar. It went through the usual lines of "credit cards too high", "can't make the payments", "debt collectors calling", etc. Call us, yada yada, yada.

The line that really stood out....."and it probably isn't your fault" What? If it isn't your own fault, then whose?
Today we are taught by ??someone?? that it isn't our fault, it's the banks fault for giving so much credit, they should have known you couldn't pay it back.

Disgusting.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:10 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
One thing I was glad to hear Suze say was that they couldn't file for bankruptcy since they(her husband) made too much money.
I didn't realize bankruptcy had income restrictions - good news.

USATODAY.com - With bankruptcy law near, make filing decision soon

Tighter income limits. Individuals whose income exceeded their state's median income during the previous six months may be ineligible for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. If those individuals can pay at least $100 a month toward debts after certain expenses are deducted, they'll be required to file under Chapter 13 instead, which requires debtors to repay creditors under a schedule set up by the courts.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
The line that really stood out....."and it probably isn't your fault" What? If it isn't your own fault, then whose?
Today we are taught by ??someone?? that it isn't our fault, it's the banks fault for giving so much credit, they should have known you couldn't pay it back.
Maybe it's an advertising tactic. People with a strong sense of personal responsibility probably don't generate much business for debt counselors. The best customers are the ones who are busy blaming everyone else for their situation.

I don't think the businesses would get a better response if they took the typical consumer approach: "Debt counseling-- because you've worked hard for it and you deserve it!!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:24 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Maybe it's an advertising tactic. People with a strong sense of personal responsibility probably don't generate much business for debt counselors.
It is more like what I believe is called the "Paradox of Thrift." You know, while it is a good thing for you personally to save all the money you can, it is very bad if everyone did the same thing. So the optimal thing for you personally is to convince as many people as you can to splurge at every opportunity. Savers are simply no good for any economy (read "to anyone").

We can ridicule those people that are more (most?) aggressive in their spending all we want but the bottom line is that's what makes our (your's and mine) life, in general, better.

Another way I have heard it put is: "Kitty's heaven is Mousy's hell."
Old 11-18-2008, 02:37 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
You know, while it is a good thing for you personally to save all the money you can, it is very bad if everyone did the same thing.
Japanese stock market aside, I'm having a hard time seeing the problem with a high savings rate. It seems like a better long-term plan than deficit spending...

Old 11-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Japanese stock market aside, I'm having a hard time seeing the problem with a high savings rate. It seems like a better long-term plan than deficit spending...
See (for example):

Paradox of thrift - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Paradox of Thrift

arguments against:
The Paradox of Thrift: RIP*
Safe Haven | The "Paradox of Thrift"

I don't know how valid the theory is. I was using it simply as a way of explaining the (seemingly) illogical "debt counselor" behavior you referred to.

Having said that, I am not sure the "Paradox of Thrift" theory has been disproved to my satisfaction. Anecdotely, anyway, the more people spend the more I am able to save -- at least, my "savings" were worth a lot more when people were spending than they are worth now... and a lot more people were earning a living.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I think occasionally Suze "plants" those folks to present a sensationalized problem to help ratings.....but then again I believe in conspiracies.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I think occasionally Suze "plants" those folks to present a sensationalized problem to help ratings.....but then again I believe in conspiracies.......
FD, you can't tell me that's NOT real! Next you're probably going to say that pro wrestling is fake, too. Sheesh.