Join Early Retirement Today

FA Advises Couple To 'RetireSoon'
Old 07-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

FA Advises Couple To 'RetireSoon'

Definitely not early, in fact pretty late retirement 68 & 64. Agree that younger person hitting 65 covers medical issues. Real LBYM types with an old Toyota with 300,000 miles. They haven't thought much about retirement, hope they have a good one.

Money Makeover: Despite solid finances, couple not sure they're ready to begin retirement journey - latimes.com
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Pardon the free psychological evaluation, but these folks really do not WANT to retire. I say leave them alone and let them do what they want. I don't understand it, but I don't condemn it either. My dad was like that. From the day he retired (to get SS for himself and my sister who was in college at the time) he was either working for free at the old family business or looking for a paying job. Go figure. His son sure didn't turn out that way.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #3

I agree with koolau - if people want to keep working, why shouldn't they?

Personally, I think they need therapy but whatever works for them.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I was somewhat like that. Although younger than those two I didn't obsess about retiring until I realized I had more than 25 times expenses.

Their finances aren't that impressive considering what we see on this forum. Retirement income including pensions and SS about $58,000. PF $560,000, net worth just over a million in LA area.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:11 AM   #5
gone traveling

There is nothing wrong with wo*king till you drop, if that is your wish.

There is nothing wrong with retiring (at any age), if that is your wish.

Follow your bliss; it's not the same for everybody...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
There is nothing wrong with wo*king till you drop, if that is your wish.

There is nothing wrong with retiring (at any age), if that is your wish.

Follow your bliss; it's not the same for everybody...
That's what happened to my grand dad. He worked until a year before his death.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:44 AM   #7

It seems that Dave is more ready (to retire) than Carole.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:56 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

DW is a school teacher and w*rks with woman who is 82! State has enhanced payments for anyone retiring in next few months. Cow*rker is not interested. All I can say is she sure must love 2nd graders.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:03 AM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
It seems that Dave is more ready (to retire) than Carole.
That's not unusual at all. In our case, we decided to retire at the same time, in the same year.

I retired ; my DW did not once her "date" arrived. She found out that she was not "emotionally ready" to retire. Three + years later, she is still at the same old j*b.

Hey, I'm not complaining. She's happy at work, I'm happy at home. The "split decision" worked out well in our case.

And yes, I've taken over more "duties" (e.g. grocery shopping, house cleaning, cooking, etc.) I'll admit that I don't do them well (but I try).

And financially? It has worked out much better. My plan was set for her to retire three years ago and I've kept the plan as if she would retire today. That means our actual SWR is much less than anticipated, since I'm the only one drawing, while she continues her 401(k) contributions, along with replacing her SS credits with current wages that overlay early career earnings.

Sometimes either/or (like the decision of VG vs. FIDO) dosen't make sense (BTW, we have our accounts split between Vanguard and Fidelity; we take the "good" from each vendor).

Our current "retirement situation" is the same.

I don't get the idea that just because you are married/partners that you have to do the same thing in all areas of life...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
I don't get the idea that just because you are married/partners that you have to do the same thing in all areas of life...
Agreed - we have different interests. I enjoy tennis, biking, and hiking while DW prefers primarily in shopping. Therefore, we do spend time apart from each other. We do, however, spend time together to watch movies, dine out, and walk in the park and botanic gardens.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:59 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I also want Carole to retire asap so that she will have less money to donate to liberal political organizations and causes.

Ha
Old 07-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I also want Carole to retire asap so that she will have less money to donate to liberal political organizations and causes.

Ha
Old 07-27-2010, 05:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
That money would be better spent on a new corolla.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:20 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Had a former employer who was still working when he passed away a few years ago in his mid-70's - but as the business owner he did the traveling sales part he enjoyed while his son got the stay at home office and showroom work. I think to him it was such an easy workload compared to the years building the business that it was nearly like being retired, plus he was mostly setting his own schedule anyway.
rmark is offline   Reply With Quote