Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Factors that influence your annuity rate of return?
Old 02-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Factors that influence your annuity rate of return?

I am too young to really consider annuities at the moment but am interested in learning more about them as a potential guaranateed income stream to supplement social security in retirement.

I know when somebody buys health insurance, your health influences what kind of premium you pay. Unhealthy people pay more because it is expected the insurance will pay out more benefits for them.

Does this fact work in reverse for annuities? Seems like those people with a lot of health issues would be ideal candidate for the companies selling the annuities because you are more likely to die sooner and thus they pay out fewer dollars? You would think you would get a better "return" (paid more per month) if you were more likely to die sooner.
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't believe there is "reverse underwriting" for annuities. I suspect that when the insurance companies price annuities, they price in some "adverse selection" by assuming these are more likely to be purchased by healthy people with family history of longevity.

The primary drivers of the payout you receive are your age and the prevailing long-term interest rates at the time. Annuities are priced to yield the same way high-grade long term bonds are: the lower interest rates are when you buy the annuity, the lower the monthly payout.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Many immediate lifetime income annuities do have a medical underwriting feature where if you have a known heath condition that will likely impact your life expectancy then they increase your initial annuity age which increases the amount your annuity pays out each month. Not sure what the process is but probably requires a letter from a doctor explaining the health condition.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What the OP is referring to is adverse selection.

In general (with exceptions - of course), people who buy SPIA's tend to be in very good health and come from a family that tends to die old.

The insurance companies are well aware of this and price their products accordingly.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote