Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:21 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Water. If you don't believe me, ask T. Boone Pickens.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #162
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
What's next, deny the Holocaust occurred?

Another bailout schill? Who woke you up?

REWahoo Thanks for reading and I did get a kick out of your post # 42. Post 130 not so much and the last? I'm thinking the law of diminishing returns. Maybe forget quality and just go for quantity like me and some of the others.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:41 PM   #163
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Food? I don't know what type, but corn? pigs? some kind of commodity I am thinking

(busily polishing my crystal ball with a good spit-shine)
Commodities might be a good bet, but I'm thinking that the US consumer is tapped out for a while, and the next bubble might be overseas. My guess would be China. Japan had a bubble in the 80s and China appears to be following in those footsteps. Problem with that one, though, is the Chinese govt can intervene at any time and create big losses. Best way to play this one, if it does go bubble would be with a few LEAP calls on Chinese ADRs, like EWH, if they are available.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:45 PM   #164
Recycles dryer sheets

Old 01-16-2008, 04:47 PM   #165

I've seen a couple of articles from Europeans who seem to be under the impression that Americans depend on asset bubbles. Sometimes I wonder if they're right. What would happen if somebody shut down the bubble machine? Could you imagine what life would be like? Working for a living? Assets with returns based on fundamentals?

Ugh, what a nightmare that would be.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:48 PM   #166
Dryer sheet aficionado

Wow, Holocaust, that's amazing inference. Yes, I am a Bensonhurst born Jewish person. That is pretty canny like. Any clues at to how you guessed that.

That aside, it is interesting that one person posting a "list" denigrated to this.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:51 PM   #167
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Seems someone is unfamiliar with Godwins Law.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBPu View Post
Any clues at to how you guessed that.
Coincidence. Unlike others on this thread, I claim no powers of divination. I was simply responding to the following statement and comparing it to another well publicized denial of reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
... why am I being asked to bail out people I don't know and actually am not sure exist?
Old 01-16-2008, 05:27 PM   #169
Dryer sheet aficionado

ReWahoo, in no way am I claiming you were being anti-Semitic but why was the slaughter (and in some,and maybe your won view a myth) of Jews worth mentioning? It really seems out of place on this thread.

How did you decide that and now that I see you are a Moderator, did you target me because I'm Jewish. Not accusing, just seems odd. I will probably not be allowed to post here after this cause you seem in charge, but as a last post, why attack me?
Old 01-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Wow, TBPu, are you succumbing to the psychobabble here? If you read ReWahoo's reference in any reasonable manner you would see that he raised the Holocaust as a prominent example of what some nuts will deny. That is 180 from an anti-semitic reference.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:44 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

A truly ridiculous turn of events.

Wheres my popcorn?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:46 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

I agree with Don Heff, TBPu. There is no way for REWahoo to have known you were Jewish, and even if he had somehow known that, he would never have said anything inappropriate. His reason for bringing up the Holocaust were pretty clear: he used it as an example of something that really happened, and cannot be denied by a logical person.

By the way, in the past CFB and I have been known to say "Hitler" in a post because of the superstition that any mention of Hitler will end an overly long thread. That is not a reference to your heritage, either.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-16-2008, 06:09 PM   #173
gone traveling

TPBu
Oh, so it's all fun and games until you're the specific target?

Aw dood. It is all fun and games, but I'm still suspicious that in all these pages we got only one resale below previous sale (thanks Martha, I know you probably went door to door to get that I will learn the importance of making friends in the future) that was current and one from Texas in the 80's (TP we'll always assume that one in future discussions).

Waiting on that sales graph Twaddle. Oh, also on that CA graph subbing for Fla. Don't you think the property tax situation in CA and the insurance thing there makes the comparability more so less?

POPPED corn!
Old 01-16-2008, 06:17 PM   #174

Housing threads. Mortgage threads. Milk threads. I say we should ban them all. Too hot for ERs to handle.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:18 PM   #175
Dryer sheet aficionado

I offer this apology to ReWahoo. I evidently took that comment wrongly. Hope you accept my addmission of error.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:29 PM   #176

TBPu, apology accepted. You did have me re-reading my comments and questioning myself there for a while. Want2retire and donheff, thanks for your posts.

Sorry to disappoint everyone, but please feel free to continue with your popcorn.

I'm going to do what I should have done earlier today, which is refrain from getting involved in this sausage making contest. Please continue where you left off...
Old 01-16-2008, 06:37 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Honobob

This wasn't same property sale, and a small sample to boot, but i have highlighted an earlier post of mine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Ah. To quote a regional real estate report put out by Hendrick & Partners "while Oregon has escaped much of the lending crisis, the number of foreclosures rose sharply in the third 1/4 of 2007. In Marion and Polk counties the number of foreclosures increased 28.6% and 84% respectively year-over-year, compared with the same 1/4 in 2006. ... signifigant for the local apartment market in that those who are forced out of their homes may have to turn to an already tight apartment market. If such is the case, apartment owners will continue to exert pricing power". Third 1/4 vacancy rates 2007 of 0.8%-3.6% vs. 2006 third 1/4 rates of 1.3% -6.9%.

Think i'm seeing this - as lower rent people lose their jobs and move on down the road our units are filling really fast for more rent with people with better furniture. So as a landlord, things are looking financially rosy. Hendricks reports 7 2007 third 1/4 sales at $51,722/unit versus 11 third 1/4 2006 sales at $57,457 per unit. Still want to downsize our number of units but just because i'm tiring of doing the landlord thing.
Now it may be that they sold higher dollar units in 2006 versus 2007, but on the face of it it sure looks like they made 2/3 of the number of sales at a price-per-unit of 90% of the 2006 price. No axe to grind either way - hoping to make a sale or two in 2007, so i'm looking for the right buyer and hoping to get a fair dinkum amount of cash from the properties, but we'll see - looking to do a 1031 on one of them, so in a way i hope some sellers panic and i can buy at a price that makes me happy.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:49 PM   #178
Dryer sheet aficionado

Want2Retire, so it's fine with you to use "Hitler" comments cause you and CFB think it's OK and fun? And that is a question not an accusation. Is n---
Old 01-16-2008, 06:53 PM   #179

TBPu, please see "Godwin's Law".
Old 01-16-2008, 07:05 PM   #180

Ugh. My head hurts reading the last two pages of this thread. What happened to the old days when threads turned into pics of naked Kathy Bates and thong wearing rhinos?