Join Early Retirement Today

Family Team
Old 12-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Family Team

I am proud of the team DW and I make when it comes to our financial lives (or our life in General). We have identical goals to become FI and ER as fast as we can. When one of us puts on our stupid hat and wants to buy something silly, the other will be the devils advocate. The final result will either be nothing purchased (money saved) or something purchased that was more practical than the initial splurge. She and I work at good engineering jobs and both incomes allow us to save significantly. Together, we are powerful financially. Couldn't have asked for a more perfect wife!

The state of the economy doesn't seemed to affect us. Sure, our silly stocks tank like the rest, but the financial security blanket we give each other makes state of the economy insignificant.

If you have similar goal oriented spouse, then you are a Powerful TEAM! Congrats!
DAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2008, 11:24 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

wow, marriage must be wonderful. i wouldn't know.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Daydreamer how wonderful it is when a couple can work together in the direction of their dreams. I have seen firsthand what happens when two financially irresponsible people work together for their financial destruction. My dear SIL and her deceased husband did just about everything humanly possible to bankrupt their lives and succeeded handily.
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We give Team Nords a high-five whenever we score a LBYM deal... and every time we check our empty-nester countdown.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
Eh- getcherself a partner. No sure that marriage is magic. The gal and i have been together 30 years sans governmental sanction or priestly blessing and i feel the same way Daydreamer does about teamwork, though i think we differ a bit - when one of Team Loki puts on the silly hat the other encourages the activity, as we have the most problem cutting loose, not saving.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:11 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

DH and I have very similar goals financially, too. However, I sometimes feel that the desire to ER has become such an important focus of our lives that once we ER (not that it's happening anytime soon), we may need to re-adjust to each other and figure out what we really want to do with our lives and free time. Much like empty-nesters when children are gone. Maybe I am thinking too much again...
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYDREAMER View Post
I am proud of the team DW and I make when it comes to our financial lives (or our life in General). We have identical goals to become FI and ER as fast as we can. When one of us puts on our stupid hat and wants to buy something silly, the other will be the devils advocate. The final result will either be nothing purchased (money saved) or something purchased that was more practical than the initial splurge. She and I work at good engineering jobs and both incomes allow us to save significantly. Together, we are powerful financially. Couldn't have asked for a more perfect wife!

The state of the economy doesn't seemed to affect us. Sure, our silly stocks tank like the rest, but the financial security blanket we give each other makes state of the economy insignificant.

If you have similar goal oriented spouse, then you are a Powerful TEAM! Congrats!

This is exactly us! (except I'm not an engineer) DH and I feel like we are a mean, lean, FIRE plannin' machine together! Although the recent market has taken our net worth down significantly, we have just readjusted our time-line, dug our heels in, and moved forward. We've decided since FIRE will be a little further out that we will reward ourselves a little more along the path (i.e. more vacations) so that we aren't so depressed about delaying FIRE! Together, we can do anything, and we will be happy no matter what, as long as we are healthy!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:31 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Eh- getcherself a partner. No sure that marriage is magic. The gal and i have been together 30 years sans governmental sanction or priestly blessing and i feel the same way Daydreamer does about teamwork...
thanx and in my mind you are right both in your attitude towards marriage and in that i shouldn't let society affect me. still, i suspect even unmarried str8s have some level or entitled sense of protection even if just by common law which might make them more inclined & secure in their partnerships, even if that security is just an illusion.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
thanx and in my mind you are right both in your attitude towards marriage and in that i shouldn't let society affect me. still, i suspect even unmarried str8s have some level or entitled sense of protection even if just by common law which might make them more inclined & secure in their partnerships, even if that security is just an illusion.
Talk to any divorced guy and he will likely tell you he wishes that he had not been allowed to marry. Say you are getting along fine with a woman, see no reason to rattle any cages. Next you might hear, "But where is our relationship going? (Where should it go; it is really satisfying now.) "Well, if we gain ground, we lose ground." (Are you an NFL offensive coordinator or a woman?)

Unfortunately, as long as marriage is a possibility it will be a goal for a lot of people, and that will complicate your life.

Ha
Old 12-07-2008, 09:53 AM   #10
Administrator

Our Team is now in its 35th year and having the same financial goals and outlook has been far more relevant than stock markets etc.

Incidentally we are also both engineers but more importantly we both hate debt, so first 3 years together we had no car until we could afford to buy one, no TV for 1st 7 years. always affordable mortgages based on a single salary in case one of us lost our job .....
Old 12-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Our team has been together about as long as Alan's and DH is a rightbrainer and completely clueless about finances (God help us--I bounce things off him all the time before we proceed with any decision and the next week he's asking what we're doing about it--he's always been like this). I barely know what I'm doing anyway so forums like these are immensely helpful to me. I know a few other couples like us but usually in those situations one person is extremely financially savvy (unlike me) while the other is not at all involved.

I do know a couple who are almost pathologically competitive with each other for LBYMing--their caskets will be heaped with cash when they are buried.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:34 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I do know a couple who are almost pathologically competitive with each other for LBYMing--their caskets will be heaped with cash when they are buried.
DW's older sister and husband are just like this. They are now ER'ed, him with a COLA'd LARGE government pension plus more money than Solomon in investments but still as tight as a crab's ar*se. We stayed with them a couple of years agao for 3 nights (in Edinburgh, Scotland). It was wet and 62 deg INSIDE the house, but it was June so there was no way they were going to put the heating on.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
A good point. I'd like to think that the young wife and I would still form the same formidable FIRE team if we were not married, but I can't really know.

Lazy, you and the partner of your choice can always come to Connecticut. We don't have any residency requirement to get married. And if you want a church wedding, the ministers in my church would happily perform the ceremony. Of course, I'll expect an invitation.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:47 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I'd like to think that the young wife and I would still form the same formidable FIRE team if we were not married, but I can't really know.
Having seen the young wife mentioned several times, I've got really curious. What's the age difference, I might ask?
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Having seen the young wife mentioned several times, I've got really curious. What's the age difference, I might ask?
2 years
Old 12-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Having seen the young wife mentioned several times, I've got really curious. What's the age...
Quote:
2 years
Aren't there laws against marrying two-year-olds? Even in Connecticut?
Old 12-07-2008, 11:35 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Being gay does not guarantee immunity against marital disharmony:

Same-Sex Marriage | Gay Marriage | Queer Marriage
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:00 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
2 years
Who's who? Did you marry an older woman?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #19
Administrator

I am older. She was still but a teen when we met (although I was only 21).
Old 12-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
But if you don't...