Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

FYI - son just signed contract to purchase first home . We are currently letting mortgage lenders compete for his business . (Excellent credit 20% down 30 yr fixed )

recent best quotes - Pt origination only

Wed 9/3 6%
Monday 9/8 5.625
Tuesday 9/9 5.5

looking for my crystal ball.....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2008, 11:08 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am shocked just shocked I tell you that Freddie and Fannie CEO are collecting huge severance packages for their mismanagement of their firms. While I agree with CFB that jail/civil law suit should be in their future. I'll bet other than a public furor and few politicians screaming come next year nothing will happen.

Here are my handy rules for understanding how everything works.
Rule 1. Banks have money
Rule 2. The folks overseeing the banks are former bankers
Rule 3. Bankers works for banks because of Rule 1
Hence
Rule 4. No matter who lose bankers always end up with money.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:15 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post

Pay for performance in the wrong direction.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:29 AM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
After thinking it over, I have to admit its a neat trick to peel off a hunk of government, make it a publicly investable entity, take in billions of investors money, have a bunch of executives strip millions of dollars out of it, get the government to take over whats left of the husk when the whole scheme crashes down and use taxpayer money to reinflate it, then give fat separation packages to the guys who did the deed.
CFB, you've described it perfectly. I wonder whether the larger point is that this was always on the horizon.. a "feature". It bears a lot of resemblance to private corporate raider scenarios, but w/o the taxpayer cash. Buy, strip assets and meaningful function, cash out, dump.

--
clifp, yeh that's why I've always had financials and keep hanging on to them. But it ain't working out exactly as I hoped..

--
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...2lQ&refer=home

This is either really, really bad or nothing at all. I'm not sure which yet.
Quote:
``This is a big deal,'' said Sarah Percy-Dove, head of credit research at Colonial First State Global Asset Management in Sydney. ``The market is not experienced at settling a credit event for a name of this size, so it is a bit of an unknown.''
Quote:
Scientists dismiss such fears [of creating black holes] as nonsense. "At every stage of understanding the universe better, the benefits to civilisation have been immeasurable," he said.

"None of these big leaps were made with us knowing what was going to happen."
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...ins/article.do
Old 09-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Pay for performance in the wrong direction.
Should it be negative pay for negative performance and positive pay for positive performance?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:16 AM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Should it be negative pay for negative performance and positive pay for positive performance?
Sorry, the negative pay option isn't legal in the US. Have to pay minimum wage at least. I think that would be the perfect compensation package for negative performance.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #87

Outrageous Severance Deals For Fannie/Freddie CEOs--Paid For By You

Quote:
Taxpayers are now on the hook for tens of billions of dollars of capital necessary to save Fannie Mae (FNM) and Freddie Mac (FRE). The CEOs of both companies--the ones who ran them into the ground--have thankfully been shown the door. But they're taking a nice pot of money with them.

Specifically, Dan Mudd, the CEO of Fannie Mae, is getting $9.3 million of severance for destroying his company. Richard Syron, the CEO of Freddie Mac, is getting $14.1 million--in part because of a clause he added to his employment contract two months ago, when it was clear the company was headed for disaster.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:00 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

I have a nice pair of sharp sticks for them.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:04 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Our government is corrupt.

Put in plain words, America is run by crooks.
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:46 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
Our government is corrupt.

Put in plain words, America is run by crooks.
The sad thing is that America is not alone.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:55 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Dude, everyone works for money or power. Even the most charitable person should understand that charity is simply another form of power. If you find someone who doesnt seem motivated by money or power and is ardently seeking one or both of them, you simply havent figured out how they're doing it unnoticed yet.

Nobody anywhere is doing a public service or corporate job in order to "do the most good".

But its easy to hand the reins over to the slickest and most appealing people and let them do what they will. At least thats what it looks like we're all doing on a regular basis.

Dont you guys really want me over in the soapbox?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:18 AM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Dude, everyone works for money or power. Even the most charitable person should understand that charity is simply another form of power. If you find someone who doesnt seem motivated by money or power and is ardently seeking one or both of them, you simply havent figured out how they're doing it unnoticed yet.

Nobody anywhere is doing a public service or corporate job in order to "do the most good".

But its easy to hand the reins over to the slickest and most appealing people and let them do what they will. At least thats what it looks like we're all doing on a regular basis.

Dont you guys really want me over in the soapbox?
You are right certainly, but few voters could ever be compelled to admit it.

Just wait until you here the general tone of the posts on this site by, say, next summer. Much of the apologism for the PTB will have given way to angry, frightened rants. While this will be bitterly pleasing to me, I would still much rather be posting about how great the economy is going.

I'd enjoy hearing a good long rant from you 'bunny. Hop up on your soap box and let go whenever you're in the mood.
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:27 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Oh it'll be going just fine by then, in fact, it'll be pretty darn good by years end.

I'm not much for long posts, but maybe someday I'll have myself an extra cup of coffee and let loose.