Fannie/Freddie shutdown and GNMA funds

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
There was an article published in the New York Times on March 3 entitled "Without Loan Giants, 30-Year Mortgage May Fade Away". The primary topic was possibilities of changes if Fannie and Freddie were shut down:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/04/business/04housing.html?_r=1&ref=business

I wonder what effect this might have on GNMA funds, which are held by many people (including me). Do they disappear?

GNMA guarantees FHA and VA loans. It's unrelated to Fannie and Freddie. I don't see why it would disappear.

GNMA guarantees FHA and VA loans. It's unrelated to Fannie and Freddie. I don't see why it would disappear.

A piece of information I did not know. Which is why I ask the question on these boards. :)

Thanks - hopefully this means those funds are insulated.

Actually, GNMA buys the loans that are insured/guaranteed by FHA and VA. GNMA doesn't actually guarantee anything. If the loan goes into foreclosure, GNMA requires the loan servicer to repurchase the loan. The foreclosure is completed and a claim filed with FHA or VA for the balance due.

Actually, GNMA buys the loans that are insured/guaranteed by FHA and VA. GNMA doesn't actually guarantee anything. If the loan goes into foreclosure, GNMA requires the loan servicer to repurchase the loan. The foreclosure is completed and a claim filed with FHA or VA for the balance due.

Learn something new everyday, I always wondered why GNMA funds were considered so safe. Nice to have a former banker on the boards, a belated welcome MissMolly.

Thanks! I can't really claim the title of banker, however. I was a mortgage loan servicer for 30 years. Only worked in mortgage companies.

Great and timely responses to my initial question, thank you all. We certainly have a lot of accumulated knowledge on these forums! A great place to participate and learn. :)

Back
Top Bottom