Join Early Retirement Today

fdic insured accounts
Old 07-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

fdic insured accounts

My husband and I have a bunch of cash. How can we park our cash to minimize the number of banks we'd have to use but make sure all the money is in FDIC insured accounts? Also, does anyone know where you can get the maximum interest?

I remember Smarty Pig but the last time I checked them, the interest wasn't that great. I think there's a way to do it - one account just in my name, one account just in his name, a joint account and maybe another thing so we could have $1 million in one bank.

I'm sure many of you think we're crazy to be in cash but that's where we are and it's not a good time to plunge into anything right now.
bridgezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Your correct about keeping $1 million in one bank. FDIC gives example, plus other options to increase that amount here:

FDIC: Your Insured Deposits

Bank rates here:

MMA Rates by Bankrate.com

Look into credit unions also
Old 07-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgezon View Post
I'm sure many of you think we're crazy to be in cash but that's where we are and it's not a good time to plunge into anything right now.
You may see a great buying opportunity next week.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
You may see a great buying opportunity next week.
Or you may miss one this week.
DoraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My husband and I have a bunch of cash. How can we park our cash to minimize the number of banks we'd have to use but make sure all the money is in FDIC insured accounts? Also, does anyone know where you can get the maximum interest?

I remember Smarty Pig but the last time I checked them, the interest wasn't that great. I think there's a way to do it - one account just in my name, one account just in his name, a joint account and maybe another thing so we could have $1 million in one bank.

You need to be careful with the rules... if you are on one account as an individual and another as a co-signer, the limit is for one account... you might not be protected as you think...

The way to do it (at least for the time being) is to put anything over $250K into a regular checking account with NO interest... this account does not have a limit right now....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #6

So what f-one forwarded us was not correct?
Old 07-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So what f-one forwarded us was not correct?
It's correct. Texas Proud is just advising you to be careful and make sure you understand the FDIC insurance rules.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
It's correct. Texas Proud is just advising you to be careful and make sure you understand the FDIC insurance rules.
Yes... you have to have the account styled correctly or you can run into a problem...

There was a friend of my sister who had $250K in her own account and was a co-signer on an account with her sister... she thought that it was 'safe' because that other account was her sister's.... come to find out that it was not safe and they lost about $50K when the bank failed...

I would much rather put the money in a few banks and be SURE than put it all in one and hope the person who opened up the accounts checked all the boxes correctly to protect you...

PS.... for ME, I would rather have it in Vanguard (or Fidelity) than a bank with that kind of money....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #9

I got a pamplet from a bank today and it says I can have an account, my husband can have an account and we can have a joint account and revocable trusts for each other and all would be FDIC insured. Is it only good for spouses? It specifically says, husband, wife, etc.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I got a pamplet from a bank today and it says I can have an account, my husband can have an account and we can have a joint account and revocable trusts for each other and all would be FDIC insured. Is it only good for spouses? It specifically says, husband, wife, etc.
About joint accounts from the following link: FDIC: Your Insured Deposits

Quote:
There is no kinship requirement for joint account coverage. Any two or more people that co-own funds can qualify for insurance coverage in the joint account ownership category provided the requirements listed above are met.
By now you're realizing how complicated all this stuff can be! Here's some info that may help: FDIC: Your Insured Deposits

For More Information from the FDIC
Call toll-free at:
1-877-ASK-FDIC (1-877-275-3342)
Hearing Impaired Line:
1-800-925-4618
Calculate insurance coverage using the FDIC's online Electronic Deposit Insurance Estimator (EDIE) at: www.fdic.gov/edie
Read more about FDIC insurance online at: www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits
View Frequently Asked Questions on Deposit Insurance Coverage at: www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/index.html
Order FDIC deposit insurance products online at: https://vcart.velocitypayment.com/fdic/index.php
Send questions by e-mail using the FDIC's online Customer Assistance Form at: www2.fdic.gov/starsmail
Mail questions to:
Federal Deposit insurance Corporation
Attn: Deposit Insurance Outreach Group
550 17th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20429

Old 07-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I would not open a joint account with anybody that i was not married to (or had some other, similar legal arrangement with like a business partner, etc.). Putting kids and such as joint owners on accounts is what we call "inviting trouble."
TN_INVEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:55 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Perhaps as an alternative you should consider taking part of your money and purchasing U.S. Treasury bonds. You can rest assured with the AAA credit rating and the "full faith and credit" of the United States Government backing them.... hmm, er.... disregard what I just said!
Col. Klink is offline   Reply With Quote