Join Early Retirement Today

FDIC/NCUA insurance question (re: Pentagon Federal)
Old 01-04-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

FDIC/NCUA insurance question (re: Pentagon Federal)

I'm about to invest in the Pentagon Federal 6.25% CD and I have some questions about the federal insurance coverage and about account registration options.

My thinking is that if DW and I each open our own individual accounts at Pen Fed we can each get $100k of NCUA insurance on our accounts. This seems better than opening a joint account that only gives us a total of $100k coverage.

Is my logic correct in this?

Finally, on the Pen Fed application, in the account registration section, you can list a payable on death beneficiary. I'm thinking we'd each list the other as the beneficiary. Does this type of regiistration have any negative ramifications?

Thanks,

Jim
magellan_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: FDIC/NCUA insurance question (re: Pentagon Federal)
Old 01-04-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan
My thinking is that if DW and I each open our own individual accounts at Pen Fed we can each get $100k of NCUA insurance on our accounts. This seems better than opening a joint account that only gives us a total of $100k coverage.
Is my logic correct in this?
Yes, and you can get an additional $100K with an account in your name listing your spouse as a joint owner, and a fourth $100K with an account in her name listing you as a joint owner. That's $400K total spread across four accounts and perfectly legal, although some feel uncomfortable putting that much in the hands of one financial institutution.

Quote:
Finally, on the Pen Fed application, in the account registration section, you can list a payable on death beneficiary. I'm thinking we'd each list the other as the beneficiary. Does this type of regiistration have any negative ramifications?
POD means that it won't go through probate and will immediately be inherited by your spouse instead of going into a trust or some other tax-avoidance scheme. She won't be able to disclaim it and, in the event of your untimely demise due to some putative domestic dispute, she could move quickly enough to do anything with your accounts before any other family members could step in.

Having said that, our CDs with PenFed are also held with POD beneficiary.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Magellan: What Nords said is correct -- you may also want to check out this site: http://www.ncua.gov/ShareInsurance/Index.htm
Old 01-04-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This lays it out pretty clearly and it is right from the source: http://www.ncua.gov/Publications/bro...unds/funds.pdf

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

You guys are great. Thanks!

The check is going into the mail today.

Jim
magellan_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:52 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
You guys are great. Thanks!

The check is going into the mail today.

Jim
Mine is right in front of yours! I put mine in the mail box Monday (but PO was closed then, and Tues). I had been a bad boy not making that dirty ol' money do any work for me until now, so now I am:

DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:00 PM   #7

Is NCUA insurance basically a clone of FDIC? Any known differences?

Specific question: what is NCUA coverage of revocable living trust for married couple (in CA---community property state) where couple are trustors, trustees, and beneficiaries of trust.

At one time when I wondered about FDIC, I was comfortable thinking that FDIC coverage was 200K. Right or wrong? Same for NCUA?
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe
Is NCUA insurance basically a clone of FDIC? Any known differences?

Specific question: what is NCUA coverage of revocable living trust for married couple (in CA---community property state) where couple are trustors, trustees, and beneficiaries of trust.

At one time when I wondered about FDIC, I was comfortable thinking that FDIC coverage was 200K. Right or wrong? Same for NCUA?
Sorry to be short on specifics to your narrow questions, but here are a couple of general facts of interest:

Quote:
NCUA versus FDIC

All SCCU Deposits are federally insured by
the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) up to $100,000.

The National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) is an independent agency of the U.S. Government. NCUA regulates, charters and insures the nation’s federal credit unions. In addition, NCUA insures state-chartered credit unions, like Space Coast Credit Union, that desire and qualify for federal insurance.

The National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund (NCUSIF), an arm of the NCUA, insures your funds.

What is an NCUSIF-insured financial institution?
Congress established the NCUSIF in 1970 to insure member share accounts at all federally chartered credit unions and most state chartered credit unions. NCUSIF insurance is similar to the deposit insurance protection offered by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC). The NCUSIF is managed by NCUA under the direction of the three-person NCUA Board appointed by the President of the United States.

How does NCUSIF share insurance protect credit union members against loss?
Each credit union approved for NCUSIF share insurance must meet high standards of safety and soundness in its operation. Adherence to these standards is determined regularly through credit union examinations by federal and state examiners. If an insured credit union gets into financial difficulties and must be closed, the NCUSIF acts immediately to protect each member’s share account.

Note: Not one penny of insured savings has ever been lost by a member of a federally insured credit union.

If a federally insured credit union does fail, the NCUSIF usually makes necessary payments within 2 days from the time the credit union closes its doors.
http://www.sccu.com/Accounts/deposit_insurance.asp

and:

Quote:
Myth: Credit unions aren’t regulated as well as banks.
Reality: Credit unions are highly regulated financial institutions, and their members’ deposits enjoy identical protection to FDIC coverage (up to $100,000 per account) under the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund. Credit unions also have the distinction of not costing the American taxpayer a penny in bailouts. By contrast, the S&L failures in the 1980s and ‘90s cost taxpayers approximately $124 billion. The GAO, after completing a comprehensive study of credit unions in 2003, found that “[c]redit unions have a greater proportion of assets available to cover potential losses than banks and thrifts.”

The total assets of federally insured credit unions ($662.4 billion) amount to less than 7 percent of the total assets of FDIC-insured institutions ($10.2 trillion). Bank profits last year ($123 billion) amounted to nearly a fifth of all credit union assets.
The largest credit union has $25 billion in assets. By contrast, the largest bank, Bank of America, has $1 trillion in assets. In other words, a single bank has more assets than the entire credit union industry.
The median size of a credit union is $11.9 million. The median size of a bank is nearly $115 million. Nearly one-half of credit unions have less than $10 million in assets.
Caution link is to a pdf: http://www.ssfcu.org/MythvsRealityandFactSheet.pdf

Old 01-05-2007, 08:10 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRiP Guy
Mine is right in front of yours! I put mine in the mail box Monday (but PO was closed then, and Tues). I had been a bad boy not making that dirty ol' money do any work for me until now, so now I am:

I wondered why you guys were mailing a check rather than making a transfer. I had the account number and routing number of PenFed but when I called Fidelity, they said it would have to be set up on the system and take 7 days before I could make the transfer. Not as quick and easy I thought. Same with my local bank. Guess I will just mail a check too.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG52
I wondered why you guys were mailing a check rather than making a transfer. I had the account number and routing number of PenFed but when I called Fidelity, they said it would have to be set up on the system and take 7 days before I could make the transfer. Not as quick and easy I thought. Same with my local bank. Guess I will just mail a check too.
When I talked to PenFed today they told me that if I gave them my banks routing number they could pull the money for me. I will be calling them Monday to try. I'll let ya know.

Peace
Beststash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:09 AM   #11

I'm still monitoring bank account to see when they make the withdrawal - not so far, but the mail probably just got there, plus the holiday crunch of piled up work, and it's a new program... so, I'll bet by Tuesday they will have drawn the funds out. I will keep the thread posted if anything noteworthy occurs.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:21 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beststash
When I talked to PenFed today they told me that if I gave them my banks routing number they could pull the money for me. I will be calling them Monday to try. I'll let ya know.

Peace
Yes, let me know how it goes. They didn't suggest this to me. I issued a transfer from Fidelity to my local bank so I can write a check. If Penfed will draw it from my bank, it will speed up the process.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:15 PM   #13

I have opened an account at PenFed and am happy as a pig in ****.

As a hypothetical question, why shouldn't one put one's entire non-equity
assets here (subject to the insurance limitations) ? Isn't 6.25% total
return a pretty optimistic ROR for a bond portfolio ? Hell, why shouldn't
my entire egg be here ? My calculations show that 6.25% will support a
4% WR for 40 years with inflation 3.5% or less.

But seriously, why is the maximum $10,000 on a single "certificate" ?

JohnEyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:24 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEyles
Perhaps they're responding to customer demand & investor psychology.

If the day ever comes that I have to break a CD and cash it in early, I'd rather take the penalty on a few smaller certificates (to get closer to what I need) than to have to break a big one and overshoot my mark.

A number of smaller certificates could complicate the tracking of the transactions. But I purchased three in the same week and just add up their returns on our statement, entering the total as one number.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 01-06-2007, 01:55 PM   #15

Weird. Just got a letter from them saying in part:

" Due to information from a credit reporting agency... all check deposits...will be subject to a 9-day business day hold. You may request a waiver of this provision after 6 months..." it goes on to list the agency as being Equifax.

Now, I only share the above because by happenstance, I literally just got my own copy of my credit report from the same source, Equifax, days AFTER that letter was written, and my credit is immaculate. No late or missing payments, no disputes, neither too much nor too little open credit. Long history. Same residence forever. Most accounts at zero balance, but with healthy limits. Only thing that has changed is I just paid off the mortgage, but that was a minimal amount in the scheme of things.

I guess my points are two:

1. No WAY this is actually based on my credit information; it must be boilerplate policy. I don't like that: if it's Penn Fed policy, just say so, I won't grouse. But don't blame it on the outcome from a credit report (that is sterling). I haven't run my FICO in a year or more, but it was right at 800 and nothing's changed except mort payoff.

2. I don't mind if the hold stays forever, it's a three year CD after all, but this is not a good way to start a relationship. Other than this it has been fine, so we shall see.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:26 PM   #16

Quote:
i'm not aware that this is the case (though there is a $10k max on an ACH transfer)
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:20 PM   #17

That $10,000 limit seems incorrect. I just checked and I and DW have 5 CD's at PFCU in excess of that amount -- three are in excess of $25,000. I have been a member of PFCU for over 30 years and I sure am not aware of any $10,000 limit. Maybe it has to do with something unrelated to CD's -- maybe a "cash" transaction in excess of $10,000 requires another form to be submitted?
Old 01-09-2007, 02:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Guy
That $10,000 limit seems incorrect.
Hmm, I dunno. When I apply for a "money market certificate" (that's
what we're calling a 6.25% CD, right ?) at the website, when I get to
Section 8, where you say how you're gonna fund your account, it
specifies a range of $1000-$10,000, at least for a bank transfer.

But I agree with the other poster that it make sense to break it
up some in case you wish to do an early redemption of some but not all
of a given maturity.

JohnEyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:49 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEyles
Hmm, I dunno. When I apply for a "money market certificate" (that's
what we're calling a 6.25% CD, right ?) at the website, when I get to
Section 8, where you say how you're gonna fund your account, it
specifies a range of $1000-$10,000, at least for a bank transfer.

But I agree with the other poster that it make sense to break it
up some in case you wish to do an early redemption of some but not all
of a given maturity.

I called them about the 10k limit. They said after you have an account for 6 months then the limit is removed. They indicated I would have to have my bank wire anything over 10k or just mail them a check. Seems kind of crazy way to do business but I guess you have to play ball if you want the 6.25%.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:47 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG52
I called them about the 10k limit. They said after you have an account for 6 months then the limit is removed. They indicated I would have to have my bank wire anything over 10k or just mail them a check. Seems kind of crazy way to do business but I guess you have to play ball if you want the 6.25%.
I've only been with PenFed since last August, and back then I executed multiple EFTs of about $9000 each with no holds or other limits...