Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Fear During a Recession
Old 01-04-2007, 09:20 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Considering the "quality" of the discourse, I think the moderation has been pretty slack!
Hey, at least this time I wasn't the one that introduced the bizarre notion of sodomizing piglets into this thread.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2007, 09:22 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Hey, at least this time I wasn't the one that introduced the bizarre notion of sodomizing piglets into this thread.
You're absolutely right, and believe me we're grateful!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How about that wimmins undergarments worn on the head thing?
Something wrong with that? :P

If the world goes to hell in a handbasket, I'll probably run out of tuna and Dinty Moore beef stew long before things get back to normal...

My prediction: We will have recessions!!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:12 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I just read the article and nothing in it strikes me as absurd or over the edge, impossible or even unlikely. Never believe a prolonged recession or worse can't happen, because it can and will at some point.

All economies based on endless printing of fiat currency and unrestrained debt eventually fail. USA will be no different. It's just a question of when...this year or 100 years from now.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:34 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How about that wimmins undergarments worn on the head thing? You and Gary into that, too?
Ever since I quit using chew I like to keep a nice black thong in the unused pouch in my jaw. But don't tell anyone.

Ha
Old 01-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpliny
I just read the article and nothing in it strikes me as absurd or over the edge, impossible or even unlikely. Never believe a prolonged recession or worse can't happen, because it can and will at some point.

All economies based on endless printing of fiat currency and unrestrained debt eventually fail. USA will be no different. It's just a question of when...this year or 100 years from now.
Not sure what you mean by fail. If you mean stop leading the world or stop improving the standard of living, then that is already happening. But this does not have a specific milestone. It is a long slow death by a 1000 small cuts.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:59 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

So...I believe Great Britain has enjoyed about a thousand years (1066 - battle of hastings?) as a nation, a going concern, if you will. Since it started as a monarchy and is now a democracy with a parlimentary system, and we started as a (albiet racist, sexist) republic that modeled much of our constitution on British common law, we started at a better point and should last at least as long, and probably much longer! Contact me in 800 years and we'll discuss America's impending decline. If you want to argue that England has declined, yes, they no long have an empire that the sun never sets on, but half the world speaks their language, they belong to a union of nations that is founded on economic and social equality, not warmongering, and the quality of life for an English citizen is the highest it's ever been. I have high hopes the United States will pass through it's Imperial youth into such comfortable middle age.

Diversify your portfolio and play with your kids.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:56 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Welcome back, Laurence, we've missed you!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:02 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

camberiu, don't let brewer get to you. In brewer's world, all those with a different perspective are retarded. Ignore the chaff.

For some, the U.S. will always exist, and will always be on top. My vote is that "always" is a very long time, and someday, probably / hopefully far, far off, that oft-predicted collapse will eventually come. But ... as noted above, quite a few authors have predicted the end of the world as we know it ... all wrong thus far.

In the meantime, being well diversified in your investments, having at least six months liquidity, etc. are wise "insurance". Not to mention a solid family. [And, for those who chuckle at "gun" advice, they've never seen a riot outside their door ... unlike my friend trapped in LA in 1992 ... ]

Besides ... other than the steps you can personally take, there is effectively nothing any of us can do individually to change the future. So, change what you can, and we'll see where the economy really goes.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:09 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
camberiu, don't let brewer get to you. In brewer's world, all those with a different perspective are retarded. Ignore the chaff.

For some, the U.S. will always exist, and will always be on top. My vote is that "always" is a very long time, and someday, probably / hopefully far, far off, that oft-predicted collapse will eventually come. But ... as noted above, quite a few authors have predicted the end of the world as we know it ... all wrong thus far.

In the meantime, being well diversified in your investments, having at least six months liquidity, etc. are wise "insurance". Not to mention a solid family. [And, for those who chuckle at "gun" advice, they've never seen a riot outside their door ... unlike my friend trapped in LA in 1992 ... ]

Besides ... other than the steps you can personally take, there is effectively nothing any of us can do individually to change the future. So, change what you can, and we'll see where the economy really goes.
Hey Charles, for all that you started your post with a ersonal insult (shove it where the sun don't shine, BTW ), you basically said the same thing I did to OP.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-09-2007, 11:22 AM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
So...I believe Great Britain has enjoyed about a thousand years (1066 - battle of hastings?) as a nation, a going concern, if you will. Since it started as a monarchy and is now a democracy with a parlimentary system, and we started as a (albiet racist, sexist) republic that modeled much of our constitution on British common law, we started at a better point and should last at least as long, and probably much longer! Contact me in 800 years and we'll discuss America's impending decline. If you want to argue that England has declined, yes, they no long have an empire that the sun never sets on, but half the world speaks their language, they belong to a union of nations that is founded on economic and social equality, not warmongering, and the quality of life for an English citizen is the highest it's ever been. I have high hopes the United States will pass through it's Imperial youth into such comfortable middle age.

So L, is it safe to come out of my underground bunker? I been in here with a loaded rifle & canned goods ever since the last time I read the board
Old 01-09-2007, 11:37 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Hey Charles, for all that you started your post with a ersonal insult (shove it where the sun don't shine, BTW ), you basically said the same thing I did to OP.
The funny thing is that we all got into this discussions about Gold, bunkers, guns and Mad Max and nowhere in the text that I indicated I saw anything different than what is suggested by the flamers. It makes me wonder if the critics actually read the article or if they started flaming after just seeing the name of the author (the infamous piglet rapist).
Old 01-09-2007, 11:38 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
So L, is it safe to come out of my underground bunker? I been in here with a loaded rifle & canned goods even since the last time I read the board
It's a nice day, come on out!

Actually, I have my own theory of why people predict the end is near. It has to do with fear of mortality, of insignificance, and the need to feel important, or at least live in "important" times. Such is the self absorbed nature of man, but I digress.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:45 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camberiu
The funny thing is that we all got into this discussions about Gold, bunkers, guns and Mad Max and nowhere in the text that I indicated I saw anything different than what is suggested by the flamers. It makes me wonder if the critics actually read the article or if they started flaming after just seeing the name of the author (the infamous piglet rapist).
I read the article and it appeared to be the same drooling-idiocy perma bear nonsense available for years from any number of sources. At least Prof. Roubini has data to back up his argument. The piglet rapist appears to only have the bible and whatever the aliens circling Uranus get past his tinfoil hat to back up his frothings.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-09-2007, 12:03 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
It has to do with fear of mortality, of insignificance, and the need to feel important, or at least live in "important" times. Such is the self absorbed nature of man, but I digress.
Sounds like they're asking you to blow a little too much code for that graduate degree!

But you're right. And 10 years from now this would all seem pretty silly if it wasn't for the impending crisis of that day...

Old 01-09-2007, 12:03 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I read the article and it appeared to be the same drooling-idiocy perma bear nonsense available for years from any number of sources. At least Prof. Roubini has data to back up his argument. The piglet rapist appears to only have the bible and whatever the aliens circling Uranus get past his tinfoil hat to back up his frothings.
I would really like you to point out the thin hat stuff that he spoke of on the article. here are the most doom&gloom comments I could find:

-"You probably will not be fired. You received a Christmas bonus Ė maybe. Donít expect a big one next Christmas."

-"Have you made an honest assessment of your position in a falling economy? Have you got some sense of how marginal you are in todayís economy? If this economy heads as far south as it did in 1991, what will your income/outgo position be?"

"Recessions are hard times for businesses. People in good times think they have done all they can when they hedge their investment portfolio against falling demand. But the fact is, what threatens most people is not a fall in their investments, since they have so few investments. What threatens them most is the loss of a job or the sidetracking of a career."

-"Could you live for six months on your liquid reserves? If not, itís time to sell some less liquid assets in order to increase your liquidity."

Now, what EXACTLY in here or in the article is outrageous, lunacy or complete lack of common sense? I don't care what he wrote in the past. Maybe he wrote horrible thinks, I dunno and I do not care. But whan in here is so outrageous to provoke the responses we got?

Old 01-09-2007, 12:21 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now, what EXACTLY in here or in the article is outrageous, lunacy or complete lack of common sense? I don't care what he wrote in the past. Maybe he wrote horrible thinks, I dunno and I do not care. But whan in here is so outrageous to provoke the responses we got?
Sorry, there are so many people who try blowing smoke up my ass when it comes to investing, that an author must have credibility before I will listen. Mr. Piglet Rapist did himself in on the credibility front long before he wrote the shallow piece of trash you linked to.

Aside from the credibility issue, there is such a thing as a balanced discussion of personal financial planning. Mr. P-R dwells exclusively on the worst possible outcomes without any discussion of the likelihood of such an outcome or any of teh other possibilities in the world.

Hint: try linking to an article written to someone with credibility (and without a fondness for immature pork).

From now on, I think that any perma-bear or other nutball I run across on teh forum will be referred to by m e as a piglet rapist.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-09-2007, 12:30 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Hint: try linking to an article written to someone with credibility (and without a fondness for immature pork).

From now on, I think that any perma-bear or other nutball I run across on teh forum will be referred to by m e as a piglet rapist.
So, as long as it is limited to Hogzillas, you are alright with it
Old 01-09-2007, 12:31 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Brewer, just send them this link -

http://www.pinkyandperky.com/frames/index.htm

Old 01-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So, as long as it is limited to Hogzillas, you are alright with it
Hey, now I can say that H0cu5 and Cramer are both piglet rapists!

- Will Rogers