Fear to spend

wrochdvm

Dryer sheet wannabe
I have been very frugal and fairly successful. I have a net worth of about 3.4M. About 2.0M is in stocks, bonds and cd's ( 40%, 40% and 20% respectively). The rest is in commercial real estate (750K value generating 120K/yr) the rest is in my home and personal property.

I have been retired for the last 3 years and have limited my spending to the income available from my real estate and a small amount from consulting (less than 8K/year).

I have run the FIRECalc and at age 58 (wife is 59) it seems I should be able to spend about 70-80K more per year.

But, I seem to have a great fear of doing that. I'm worried that inflation such as we saw in the early 80's is almost guaranteed (at least in my mind). So that, even though I have a good amount in equities, it may not be enough to guard against inflation.

Am I being too paranoid?

W

Maybe, Maybe Not.

You did not say what you are spending. You didn't say how much more you wanted to spend. My guess is if you started spending 80, you would worry so much, you would not be any happier.

Am I being too paranoid?

W

You might not be paranoid enough. In addition to inflation risk you have:
General Market Risk - stocks & bond market fluctuation
Sector Risk
Individual company risk
World Political Risk - war, terrorism etc.
Taxation increase risk - increased income and VAT
Economic risk - stagnant or declining economy
Health risk - pandemic

Here's an idea: Split the difference. Spend an additional 40K and reinvest the other 40K.

You might not be paranoid enough. In addition to inflation risk you have:
General Market Risk - stocks & bond market fluctuation
Sector Risk
Individual company risk
World Political Risk - war, terrorism etc.
Taxation increase risk - increased income and VAT
Economic risk - stagnant or declining economy
Health risk - pandemic

:LOL:

Wrochdvm, let me introduce Dex, our resident paranoid.

Oh that dex! Helpful to a fault! Do be advised though that dex posts from random mountain tops where he is honing his awesome survival capabilities while carting about his fortune in gold and anti-zombie 12 gauge shells. Well, maybe not the 12 gauge shells - or maybe he does.... Feel lucky punk?...

You can't (easily) change who you are - not liable to turn into Diamond Jim Brady just because you think you maybe could.

Sez the guy who drops $2 on the dollar menu at McD's - no drink, no fries, but doesn't have problems spending on some other stuff

So you're spending $128,000 per year, and want to increase it another $80K . . . why?

...The rest is in commercial real estate (750K value generating 120K/yr) the rest is in my home and personal property.

I have been retired for the last 3 years and have limited my spending to the income available from my real estate and a small amount from consulting (less than 8K/year).....

Does this mean you spend $120 (the amount generated by the $750K in real estate) plus >$8K from consulting each year? Not that it matters--are your typical living expenses covered by whatever it is that you spend?

I might be a little worried that the commercial real estate might not generate that amount in the future if you lose a big tenant, so maybe it's good that you haven't become used to spending an additional $80K a year.

O.K.
My wife and I just bought a used Airstream trailer and a new Ford F250 to tow it. I could have spent an extra 5K for a totally tricked out top of the line truck for an extra 3-4K (spent 44K on the one we got).

So, it seems I could easily have afforded the extra luxury. But, my frugality kept me from doing so.

W

If that $80K buys extra happiness now, then I would say to go for it.

As long as the extra expenses are discretionary spending such as travel or toys that require no upkeep, hence can be cut back as necessary, even our friend Dex would approve. Right, Dex?

In reply to Bestwifeever

Yes, living expenses are covered in the 128K

The tenant is a large national corporation that bought my business. I am confident that they will continue to lease (annual increase of 2% with adjustment for excess inflation).
W

O.K.
My wife and I just bought a used Airstream trailer and a new Ford F250 to tow it. I could have spent an extra 5K for a totally tricked out top of the line truck for an extra 3-4K (spent 44K on the one we got).

So, it seems I could easily have afforded the extra luxury. But, my frugality kept me from doing so.

W

I smell a rat.

We'll see how this plays out, but it looks very familiar.

reply to kumquat

Just wondering if I could spend more. Am I denying myself the rewards of a lifetime of hard work.

I definitely think a housing upgrade is in order. :)

thanks FIRE'd@51 one of the reasons we bought the Airstream is to travel the country and possibly find a second home. We love living in New England, we are sailors and we enjoy the weather from May until mid November. I don't mind the cold and am an avid skier, but the skiing in New England can be touch and go.

I believe buying a second home on credit would be a good move since I also believe that inflation is going to rear its ugly head like it did in the early 80s. How can it not when the fed just printed 80B dollars?

W

reply to kumquat

Just wondering if I could spend more. Am I denying myself the rewards of a lifetime of hard work.
Life is about choices. If you don't want to spend more, great, that's your choice and you've made it. If you do want to spend more, you have to think about the pro's and con's.

BTW, REWahoo

We visited Austin about 5 years ago and really loved that town. It is on our list for a place to make a second home.
W

O.K. Kumquat,

The FIRECalc says I won't be broke before I die if I spend another 70K/yr. If you were in my situation, how much confidence would you have in that?

W

REWahoo,

OOOPS, Austin is not hill country? OR, you don't like Yankees?

I was schooled in Kansas and play bluegrass guitar and mandolin. Is that any better?

W

Back
Top Bottom