• -5%

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • -6% or more

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don't like this poll, I won't vote.

Votes: 10 5.6%

• Total voters
Want2retire said:
Down 3.7% on my small Roth, which is not as well diversified yet as I would like. I only started it in November. Even including today's losses I have still made a few bucks on it.

Won't know about most of my other losses until tomorrow. They should be a smaller percentage since they are better diversified.

Hot dog! I'm down less than 2.3% in my TSP, where most of my retirement funds lie. It is spread out nicely between C (S&P 500), G (govt), S (Small/mid-cap), and I (International) funds.

Even better - - get this - - since I am contributing the max plus over-50, and since I got a substantial raise this year that is the basis for my % match, the total amount in my TSP account was higher two weeks ago.

The contrast between performance in my poorly diversified new Roth, and my better diversified TSP, is like a textbook illustration of the value of a diversified portfolio.

The totals are finally in for me. Looks like yesterday hit me for about 3.3%. Still up for the year, at around 0.6%

Guess I should chime in here... -2.5% on paper for the day. I know I should not pay attention to single day swings but it's hard not to look. Upward and onward!

:)dog

-2.3% ... +1.02% ytd ... with europe and asia in the red this a.m., it might well not recover today

Budman said:
My total portfolio was down about .84%. But what I thought was very interesting while my S&P fund was down 3.48%, my Fidelity High Income junk bond fund (SPHIX)was down only .33%. I expected a much larger impact on the junk.
Junk won't necessarily go down as much as equities.

My bond funds in total were UP .43%. So I think that's a pretty good indication of how junk works very different from other bond funds.

Audrey

Rounded off my loss (up) so it looks worse in the poll. Should have warned everyone it was comming . I've been sitting on the cash from my anual portfolio rebalancing for 6 weeks waiting for the market to dip I finally invested it Friday. :-\

Down 1.6%. This is with a roughly 50/50 equity/non-equity split. Wish posters would share their allocation along with gain/loss.

I'd expect a little bounce as some people try to pick up a few damaged goods, but I think some more air needs to come out of it.

Yesterday's drop is nothing compared to October, 1987 when we took a hit greater than 20%
If you cannot stand this volatility put your money in a more stable investment with lower long term profitability.

Sooo - a nice clean 5000 point drop on top of this itty bitty 400-500 would test my ho hum balanced index auto pilot and make the Norwegian widow happy dividend wise.

Beyond a 6000 point drop may cause the appearance of the old pucker factor - that might exceed the Vanguard calculator's worst case(1974) back test of my portfolio.

Of course - greed rules supreme so I will be working up my shopping list for stock bargins early this year - which does not effect my retirement but does wonders for entertainment. Long time till football season.

heh heh heh heh

Oh Yeah - CFB's 'huge honking house' makes me just shake my head. - 'dirty market timer'! No football bets with you dude!

interesting: physical gold - Philharmonics - dropped about 2.2% if I'm figuring right. Our gold stock, BGEIX, dropped 6.2%, worst drop in the small number of random stocks we own play with rent.

calmloki said:
interesting: physical gold - Philharmonics - dropped about 2.2% if I'm figuring right. Our gold stock, BGEIX, dropped 6.2%, worst drop in the small number of random stocks we own play with rent.

Shouldn't be a suprise.

If we're all supposed to be freaking out because China's growth may be slowing and our durable goods order are down why should we be worried about inflation? (and therefor own gold)

I'm not a fan of gold as an investment. If you want security in markets like yesterday buy some treasuries.

I voted "I don't like this poll." I haven't calcuated, and don't really want to depress myself. I'm sure I'm in the same range as other balanced middle of the road investors.

I was actually sort of excited because I've been procrastinating getting my extra cash invested, so it's a big buying opportunity. I just hope it doesn't bounce before the weekend when I will have time to do the buying.

final numbers are in - down 3.0%. Not quite a five figure loss like I expected. 96% equities portfolio, with close to half in international. Not too bad.

My emerging markets index fund got killed - down over 5% yesterday (12.5% of target portfolio).

Just a ripple in the stream...

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Like a huge honkin' house? :LOL:

I have moved up several times in the last 20 years and the home value as a % of net worth has continued to decrease. Not a big fan of having over 25% of net worth in an asset that is not in the plan for retirement income

Its in our plan. When Gabes grown and gone, we'll sell the place when the time is right and move back into something smaller, take about half our money out.

Still up 7% YTD since 2006 close. We were never able to spend the extra money anyway...

-1.9%, with a 67/23/10 % equity/bond/cash portfolio....

Looking better today so far....

kcowan said:
Still up 7% YTD since 2006 close. We were never able to spend the extra money anyway...

7% since Jan 1st, 2007? You have to tell us how. Is there some black magic involved here? :)

kcowan said:

I'll help! I'll even send pictures and drawings by Tori telling you what we bought! :D

Down 2.57% on the day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom