Votes: 4 2.3%
  • -6% or more

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don't like this poll, I won't vote.

Votes: 10 5.6%

• Total voters

Sam

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Don't vote until the market is close for the day. What's the damage.

Edit: For the record: Dow -3.29%, SP500 -3.47%, Nasdaq -3.86%

I got spanked to the tune of 3%. Not the end of the world, and it was an opportunity to put some cash to work in stuff that got whacked.

brewer12345 said:
I got spanked to the tune of 3%. Not the end of the world, and it was an opportunity to put some cash to work in stuff that got whacked.

Huh? I thought you own a large percentage of bonds.

I put my life savings in the stock market one trading day before it fell 22% in October of 1987.

I made a vow to never look at the portfolio value again til the market recovers.

3% downturn ?......... ::)

Sam said:
Huh? I thought you own a large percentage of bonds.

A fair bit, but not what I would call large. Yesterday I was ~25% cash and bonds. But I also own a lot of derivatives that change in value a LOT for modest market moves.

-5.2% on my individual issues, -2.1% on 401k holdings.

What's ten or twenty tho between friends, for a day's sport, eh? <chuckle>

Seriously, this is just part of the ride, and since I'm not going anywhere for a while, I am not sweating it.
8)

Not sure yet, but I'm guessing I'll have my first "five digit loss" day. Guess that's going to set back the FIRE date 2.3452 months! ;)

poboy said:
Now the blame is on a computer "glitch".

...not on them trying to give Cheney the hot-foot? ::)

...or the Chinese peasants hocking their houses to buy into the China market? :eek:

DRiP Guy said:
What's ten or twenty tho between friends, for a day's sport, eh? <chuckle>

Not much, just 1 to 3 years worth of expenses if you retire in the DR, Panama, Estonia, Thailand, or the Phillipines. What country did I miss? ;)

Sam said:
Not much, just 1 to 3 years worth of expenses if you retire in the DR, Panama, Estonia, Thailand, or the Phillipines. What country did I miss? ;)

Well I was doing great until then -- thanks :D

(Note to self -- move my 80/20 allocation to more like 60/40 or 50/50 once we get some color back into the face of this market) :LOL: :LOL:

Down 1.9%. There goes a couple months of gains. :LOL:

Lots of over-blown fear reporting fueling the market. I'm hoping this sets up a nice buying opportunity soon.

I was long VIX and long JPY but not enough to offset my Russell 2000 holdings, which took a 4.7% hit.

Slarty said:
Down 1.9%. There goes a couple months of gains. :LOL:

Lots of over-blown fear reporting fueling the market. I'm hoping this sets up a nice buying opportunity soon.

DCA is a beautiful thing!

Of course, you have to be willing to buy and not just be totally on sidelines... that's the beautiful thing about the 401(k) - I have it set on it's choices, and it will buy like clockwork without me trying to outguess it.

justin said:
Not sure yet, but I'm guessing I'll have my first "five digit loss" day. Guess that's going to set back the FIRE date 2.3452 months! ;)

I'm sure someone on this board see 6 digits today. Ouch!

Heard that Suze Orman will be going on Larry King tonight to calm the trembling masses of investors!

img_485584_0_750a2abf44be7c8a1d3cbc6891d62491.jpg

Oh, where is Lou Ruykeyser when we need him, I ask you? :D

Hey, wab you can pick up some more TGT now.... ;)
You can bet that Soros, Buffett and their ilk are starting to look for bargains

To keep myself in perspective, new contributions and gains over the last month or two more than offset the ~$10,000 I lost today.

Lost 2.63% today ::)

Thats really not that bad for being 100% stocks. Go Go Large Divy Payers!

I won't vote until tomorrow, but if I were to take an educated guess, I'd say I'm going to take about a 3.5% hit. Only accounts that have spit out real numbers yet are my Scottrade account, down 3.7%, and some shares of Boeing I have that are down about 2.0%.

This will probably be the single largest single day $ drop I have ever seen in my life. In contrast, I saw a hit of about 11% back around the 9/11 timeframe (the only two data points I have from back then in my spreadsheet are 9/7 and 9/21). However, I have nearly 5x as much invested today as I did back in late 2001, so in dollar terms, this one will "feel" like it hurts more.

Oh well, I'm not gonna cry over it. Just look at it as a buying opportunity! In a couple years, I probably won't even remember this blip! :D

Down 3.41%. Barely down! Not even concerned about where the eject handle is.

BUY BUY BUY! All in time for the beginning of the month, when next DCA sum goes in...

-CC

Edit: I don't mean to demonstrate the unsportsmanlike conduct in front of those who are no longer in the accumulation phase.

Edit: Down 3.41 not 3.14%.

I'm still only 50% stocks..... so 3% of that? The nice thing is I've had 25% in MM waiting for for things to pull back. Not trying to time the market......just needing to increase my stock portion, but not wanting to buy until a more appropriate time.

I bought a bunch of OSM yesterday and now I'm down .04 a share. :eek: I'm sure my stock holdings are down in the 3 to 4% range.

Down 1.8% today. Not too bad considering the carnage. Bonds rallied even though equities got hit >3%

Most of my equity funds are back down to mid or end-January levels. Not much carnage really. Exception: large cap stocks took a pretty big hit today.

Audrey

audreyh1 said:
Bonds rallied 2.5%, even though equities got hit >3%

Curious what bonds rallied 2.5% - long treasuries were up about 1.2%. Do you own a lot of zero-coupon issues?

Back
Top Bottom