Join Early Retirement Today

Fed Announcement 0% till mid 2013
Old 08-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fed Announcement 0% till mid 2013

I suppose the 0% is a little off... but not by much for the really short-term fixed!

What now.... This changes the picture a little. Seems to make their plans a little more transparent. However, if inflation kicks up... they might change their posture!

What's a small investor to do..... go for the max coupon for a year or so or keep the duration short?

Thoughts and ideas on bonds and other fixed investments.

Quote:
Interest rates: The Fed indicated it plans to keep "exceptionally low" interest rates in place until at least mid-2013 as a way to continue to prop up the recovery.
Federal Reserve to keep fed funds rate low until 2013 - Aug. 9, 2011
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Translation: The War on Savers rages on. Anyone who is retired and living partially on interest income may have thought they could weather a short storm of pathetic interest rates, but for this long? Will some of them be forced to move in with their kids and such?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Bond funds are looking good.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It seems to me that it is an obvious reaction to the market sell-off.

Their message seems to be... if you want any return, take more risk!
Old 08-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Which type of bond funds?
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Translation: The War on Savers rages on. Anyone who is retired and living partially on interest income may have thought they could weather a short storm of pathetic interest rates, but for this long? Will some of them be forced to move in with their kids and such?
I see that many forumites have 50% or more of their port in fixed assets. How does that support a 4% withdrawal rate?

It doesn't, but it sure is sweet for the banks and Wall Street.

Ha
Old 08-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I see that many forumites have 50% or more of their port in fixed assets. How does that support a 4% withdrawal rate?

Ha
It could work if you have enough of them (to paraphrase Groucho Marx)

DD
Old 08-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
It could work if you have enough of them (to paraphrase Groucho Marx)

DD
True, but 4% is 4%, regardless of what it is 4% of.

I think you are suggesting that given enough oversaving, the withdrawal rate can be so low as to basically make returns on the asset unimportant. That will be true for few people, but not very many because the average person worked to make and save money in order to spend that money.

Ha
Old 08-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ha

Sweet for anyone issuing some form of debt.... securities or getting a mortgage.

Still... he probably just made their intentions clear... because of housing, they were probably going to do it anyway.

I suppose it is better to know than not.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Their message seems to be... if you want any return, take more risk!
Vegas, here I come. Everything on red.

Quote:
. That will be true for few people, but not very many because the average person worked to make and save money in order to spend that money.Ha
The "average" person has apparently made a false assumption in thinking they can spend the maoney they have saved.

I can see some that were ready to pull the plug say "Just one more year (or two or three).
Old 08-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

It probably would not have been necessary if congress and the president enacted a
sound debt ceiling plan and the US rating did not sink to AA-.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Ha
Vanguard's Total Bond Market Index Fund has an SEC yield of 2.38%.

As you know, the 4% withdrawal rate unfortunately was not based on analysis of a 100% bond portfolio. Most of us have some equities or equity funds as well, and hope that this will help in compensating for inflation. Some others who have mostly bonds also have no problems living on 2% instead of 4%. Luckily, inflation has (supposedly) been low recently.

To those accustomed to the high returns of the 1990's, returns this low must be a big shock.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Can someone explain this? I guess if interest rates aren't going up, then bond prices won't go down, but the yield is so low...
Old 08-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #14
Administrator

There is very little good in this announcement. It is a sign that the US economy is sick with too much debt (gov't and mortgage) and some of that debt needs to be paid down and written off. If we can't find a way to pro-actively write it down, the Fed is going to make sure it is inflated away. Savers beware.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Can someone explain this? I guess if interest rates aren't going up, then bond prices won't go down, but the yield is so low...
The interesting thing is that even though bond fund yields are low, the total returns have thus far been phenomenal:

Vanguard Inter-Term Bond Index VBILX - Yield = 2.74%, YTD RTN = 8.73%.

Difficult to see how this can be sustained.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Pundits said the U.S. was not going to follow the path of Japan . . . anyone want to take bets that The Fed doesn't raise rates WELL BEYOND 2013? Chances are it won't be Bernanke that raises rates, but his successor, after Ben retires.
Geoffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #17

I am sorry if my question is basic, but are these the same bonds as municipal bonds ? I am thinking of buying a muni bond this month for $20k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiming_4_55 View Post
Which type of bond funds?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #18

Quote:
I think that's 4% Celsius.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Haven't looked today butt !!!
Yesterday, Alley Bank was offering 1.9% for 4 years with 2 shots at an up grade. I'm beginning to wonder should I jump to that with cash on hand and ride it out for a while.
What say you folks?
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What now.... This changes the picture a little. Seems to make their plans a little more transparent. However, if inflation kicks up... they might change their posture!
I am not worried about inflation. I am worried about deflation. Keynes showed that depressions happen when people stop spending money and low demand makes prices drop. They continue to not spend because things will be cheaper tomorrow or they are afraid (Japan) or they don't have any money (coming soon to a Homeland near you!). Then low demand kills jobs because no one is buying anything.

In the middle of all this, the government cuts spending because of pressure. Exactly the wrong thing to do. Then there is the ongoing attack on business, mostly small business. The only good thing to come out of this may be reducing the number of government employees. I suggest starting with the elected ones.

It looks like a perfect storm of stupidity, incompetence and greed to me, in all elected officials north of dog catcher.

Has anyone figured out that Greenspan caused more damage to the US than Bin Laden?